Athos

Roof Techniques

I have a real hard time with roofing my MOCs. Its the hardest part of the build for me. And I'm also rather bored with the same old slope-bricks or plates for roofs. I know there are a lot of ways people have imagined new designs, including flippers, teeth plates, hoses and 1x1 round bricks. I've done a roof with flag pieces.

What I'm looking for are innovative roof designs. I'd also like to see some good pictures of the 1x1 round brick design, since I think I'd like to use that in my next MOC.

Steve

I've also seen people use those coloured pieces used on those huge action figures' shins, forearms, biceps and such as roof pieces.

@Bonaparte, it is also possible to overlap the lids, so that the studs don't show, to give a different effect. I didn't use it as it uses many more of the part, and I ran out...

Straw roof using hands -

00main.jpg

cheese01.jpg

Using technic chain links -

port1.jpg

Using technic axles threaded together with string -

tortuga1.jpg

Using 1x2 bricks in zig-zag format

gunpowder1.jpg

Using flippers -

winterlodge1.jpg

xx8.jpg

Curved roof using not-pushed-together-properly-bricks -

sheepomaphone1.jpg

Using chairs -

1268580774m_DISPLAY.jpg

By Mister oo7, using 1x1 rounds -

1625419402_cb86d26daf.jpg

By Adrian Florea, using horizontal 2x3 slopes -

picture_001.jpg

By SirNadroj, using 2x3 modified plates -

2-111.jpg

By Sir Nelson, using tooth plates -

big_daddy_sand_bar.jpg

By TheBrickTime, using lots of cheese slopes

I've also considered using overlapping plastic capes as roof tiles, but they are unfortunately very expensive in bulk.

To be honest, it is very part-effective to make a normal plate roof, and add grill plates/cheese slopes/1x2 tiles/1x1 round plates to add texture. Most of the above techniques are considerably weaker than a more commonplace alternative.

I've been trying to use black minifig chests without the arms. When layered they give a great effect. Curves are a problem however, and I can never seem to get them to come out right.

This is a great topic by the way :thumbup: .

Sly, how did you attach those treasure chests? That looks really nice. :classic:

I'm using Sly's flipper roof idea for one of my MOCs that I'm working on at the moment. I think that it looks great in most situations.

One technique that I like to use is a normal plate roof with tiles on it, that are not totally attached everywhere.

3396639550_991facbe60_o.jpg

I'm using Sly's flipper roof idea for one of my MOCs that I'm working on at the moment. I think that it looks great in most situations.

How are you attaching all those flippers? I don't understand the framework holding them together.

Thanks

ben

I can't recall who but I remember a someone here made a straw roof using minifig hands. *oh its up there* :pirate:

Edited by zouave

Sly, how did you attach those treasure chests? That looks really nice. :classic:

Those are just the lids of treasure chest on a plate (I think)

Great topic Athos. :thumbup:

Those look like some very good roof Ideas. :oh:

Some I would have never thought of. :blush:

I like how the tooth plates look on The sand Bar by Sir Nelson. :wub: A Very nice thatched look. :thumbup:

That looks Great I Scream Clone :wub:

I might borrow some of these techniques sometime for MOCs if people don't mind. :sweet:

CommanderFox

Edited by CommanderFox

Congrats Athos for opening this topic! :thumbup:

It´s a great source of inspiration for a problem I also have been faced with.

Thanks for all members posting such incredible and outstanding ideas!

Combination of:

Hose, Rigid 3mm D. +

Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Horizontal +

Plates +

Tiles

Very similar to this:

5.jpg

It's not the era/size you're interested in I think but when it comes to roof techniques, I'm pretty proud of this:

version2_1.png

(sorry for large picture)

Dr. Brick

The "prong" on the lid fits into a 1x1 cone (does need a bit of rotating to get the max friction point), and these are just built onto some tilted plates.

How are you attaching all those flippers? I don't understand the framework holding them together.

Underneath each vertical row of flippers, there is a 1x10 plate. The flippers fit into the underside of the plate, alternating between on the "pin" (between the studs on the other side) and the "hole" (directly beneath the studs on the other side). And this is repeated, but with a different offset for each vertical row.

For the curved roof, I used horizontal flex tubing with 1x1 clips.

And some more...

By Marian19, using popsicles -

dsc00263.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've seen someone using bars, flex tubing and string to make a roof, but that may have been a table scrap of mine :blush: