Sign in to follow this  
5150 Lego

Can lego trains tow more than 3 cars?

My co-workers little boy got a lego train for Xmas, and he wants to hook up the cars in his older sets to

his new train. They tried this, but after the 3rd car the magnets give out. The only think i could sugjest to her at the time was to make a new coupler. But i'm not familar with the train sets enough to know if this will work or not.

Has anyone done this? Will anymore weight damage the motor? Also, has anyone ran morethan one engine at a time? Forgive if these questions sound dumb, but i'm just not familar with the train sets.

Yes and no. If the cars are more on the heavy side then there would of course not be able to pull more than a couple at a time. The avervage train with one motor can pull up to 30 or so cars. But that is with a new motor and new magnets going at a slow and steady pace. If there are sharp turns or sudden jerks of speed, then no doubt will the cars un-couple, let alone damage the motor since the sudden burst will burn out the compoents inside. (Happened to me once. All of a sudden the train wold go in jerky motions and I had to buy another motor).

I find that usually after four or more cars, the motor significantly slows down and/or causes the engine to skid. You can attach a 2nd motor to the same engine, or even a motor on the engine and the last car to pull and push the cars in between at the same time. Most motors work at a similar speed, but I did have one motor that was a little slower than others. Using two will power a train pretty well and I have done this a number of times. My trains are usually no more than six cars (I think the Santa Fe coaches are heavier than most).

I never had engines disconnect due to the magnets giving out though and based on the assembly, I'm not sure how you would connect cars with more than one coupler/magnet. Two motors should be adequate to pull about 10 cars.

Thanks guys! I'll relay the message toher tomorow. Thanks again for the help! :D