Sign in to follow this  
Legostein

Battlestar Galactica: Take the Celestra!

Hello dear community!

Today I'd like to present a new MINI model to you. It's from the Battlestar Galactica universe. The good thing about this ship is that it appears in both, classic (TOS) and reimagined (RDM) series, so that fans of both series may have fun with it. :classic: The Celestra is introduced as electronics ship in the classic series in the episode "Take the Celestra" (hence the topic title). In the reimagined series the Celestra play the role of a science vessel. The ship is not the most well-known one, so I think a reference image would be nice.

celestra-ref.jpg

The ship design features lots of tubes, bars, support structure, and other details which make it rather hard to build. Especially difficult was the large horizontal front cylinder which has a large opening. The resulting construction is not simple and features much SNOT technique. I loved to use those old 1 x 2 x 2/3 with Studs on Sides. The middle trench is not a brick in height (3 plates), but instead 2.5 plates (one stud width). Further, several 1x1 bricks with studs on all sides are used like a zip lock. :classic:

celestra-6.jpg

celestra-1.jpg

For all images and instructions, see the BrickShelf Gallery: Mini Celestra on BrickShelf

The Celestra is part of the so-called Rag-Tag Fleet, following the last surviving Battlestar, the Galactica, of the Colonial Forces who struggle against the Cylon Empire. I'd like to present you also all the other ships of the affiliations which were just mentioned in the sentence before. :classic:

At this point, let me say thanks for your interest and time, and have a great week!

~ Christopher

--------------------

Colonial Forces: (images are links)

galactica-1.jpg_thumb.jpggalactica-2003-1.jpg_thumb.jpgcolonial-viper-1.jpg_thumb.jpgcolonial-scorpion-1.jpg_thumb.jpg

colonial-shuttle-1.jpg_thumb.jpgraptor-1.jpg_thumb.jpgcolonial-landram-1.jpg_thumb.jpg

Rag-Tag-Fleet: (images are links)

valley-forge-1.jpg_thumb.jpgcelestra-1.jpg_thumb.jpgcolonial-one-1.jpg_thumb.jpgfoundry-ship-1.jpg_thumb.jpg

freighter-1.jpg_thumb.jpggemini-1.jpg_thumb.jpglivery-ship-1.jpg_thumb.jpgcolonial-movers-1.jpg_thumb.jpg

prison-barge-1.jpg_thumb.jpgrising-star-1.jpg_thumb.jpg

Cylon Empire: (images are links)

cylon-base-star-1.jpg_thumb.jpgcylon-raider-1.jpg_thumb.jpgcylon-ab-raider-1.jpg_thumb.jpgcylon-tanker-1.jpg_thumb.jpgcylon-new-raider-1.jpg_thumb.jpg

Impressive very impressive, and a good likeness to it to :sweet: . The only question I have is that are you going to fill in the empty space towards the front with somthing?

Impressive very impressive, and a good likeness to it to :sweet: . The only question I have is that are you going to fill in the empty space towards the front with somthing?

Heya!

Thank you! :classic: But, no, the front is meant to be open as described. That was why it was so difficult. Trying to build an open cylinder. :wink: Here's another screenshot from the series.

celestra-ref-2.jpg

Cheers,

~ Christopher

I've seen both the old and new series but don't remember this ship. I'm planning to see the series again (after I've watched the new BSG Movie called "The Plan"), so I'll pay special attention to discovering this ship.

You did a very nice job on making it look so very similar to the real thing. That's quite an achievement considering the scale you used.

Hello,

thank you for all the nice comments! :classic:

Yes it's true that especially those vessels from the Rag-Tag-Fleet only have few screen seconds in an epsidoe, if at all. The more difficult it is to spot them, and even more to get some useful reference material to miniaturize it. :classic:

See you around!

~ Christopher