1. 1. how would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Excellent

indexed.gif

approvedgold_v2_62.png

About my second post on Eurobricks was a review of an old Star Wars set. More followed. Then I reviewed several old Star Wars sets as part of my Academy Student reviews, but by then I had exhausted almost all of the Classic Star Wars sets that I had rebuilt with all of their pieces, so I moved on to different themes. Well, I'm going back to my roots…

3991895978_095cc7d211_o.jpg

Set Title: Landspeeder

Set #: 7110

Theme: Star Wars Classic

Pieces: 47

Minifigures: 2

Year of Release: 1999

Price at Release: $6.00 ($6.75 in the catalog, including shipping)

Buy it? Inventory? Bricklink Peeron

INTRODUCTION

As most people reading the Star Wars forum know, in January 1999, LEGO released the first five sets in what would become its most successful line, in America anyway. They created very few new pieces for these five sets; around twenty I believe, including the new minifigure accessories. That resulted in a lot of those Star Wars models looking pretty blocky and not so true to the movies, but that was fine with me. Looking back at them now, the great thing about those first Star Wars sets was that they just look like someone took LEGO and made some Star Wars models, instead of now where it seems more like someone created LEGO to be Star Wars models. Do you know what I mean? Am I making any sense at all?

Oh, maybe this is all going over people's heads, let's look at plastic…

INSTRUCTIONS

On the front there is a nice rocky desert landscape with the speeder speeding along. Of course Luke has got to ruin the shot by looking at the camera, but I guess the photographer didn't want to reshoot it. I love the lighting on the set in that front picture, it really evokes a hot, sunny feeling. Other things of note on the cover are the old LEGO SW Classic logo (resurrected this year for old times' sake), the old System logo to let you know it's not a Technic set, and that Star Wars-y font for the set title and number. I miss them all.

3991898494_79b4e1f49b_o.jpg

As was true for all of the original Star Wars sets, the back shows the minifigures building the set in a weird sort of hangar, and an aesthetically unpleasing alternate model. It seems that Obi-Wan would rather play with his shiny lightsaber than help Luke build (more on the shiny lightsaber later). There's also some legal stuff and a little box telling you to go to the website. Want to see what the website did look like back then? Wayback Machine!

3991906416_00521f24f5_o.jpg

A random page displays excellent color distinction, a properly starry background, and easy-to-follow steps. But wait, what's that little picture up there…

3991898822_8e276ff066_o.jpg

It's a movie frame! These movie frames relevant to the set are on each page, and appeared on most Star Wars sets for some time. I think they died out around 2003, which was sad because I found them an excellent enhancement of your build experience. They brought back the movie scenes, and made you eager to play with the set in context once the building was done (don't worry, I'll get to playing down the page).

3991149019_166a82dc06.jpg

One more instructions pic that I'd like to point out, because I find it quite funny, is this rendering of Obi-Wan in the last step of the set. Those diluted pupils make me think he's been smoking a certain something.

3991150807_3b86f8a525_o.jpg

PARTS

Note - before I begin this section, I must point out that I am missing Dark Gray Brick 2x8. I have instead substituted Dark Gray Brick 2x6 and Dark Gray Brick 2x2, as shown.

3991907400_d3b7dc1a8e.jpg

Alrighty, with that over, I give you the 39 non-minifigure pieces of this set, laid out for your viewing pleasure. Not so many colors, and mostly tan (unlike the speeder in the movie), but still some nice parts.

3991907286_72a4740e4a_o.jpg

These are the pieces that interest me most. Chairs, you say? Yes, I like chairs, can't get enough of them. I also like those rounded gray pieces, they're great for towers and other round things. The windshield was not new to this set, but certainly a welcomed addition. Without creating a new windshield, there would have been no better choice than this back then. Those engines were created just for this set. Since there are three included, I can show you all angles in this pic. The detail, while minimal, is excellent, but this piece has been rarely used.

3991907968_5146a6c68e_o.jpg

MINIFIGURES

Enough of this parts chit-chat, you want to view some plastic guys!

Here you are, the first-ever minifigures of Obi-Wan and Luke in Tatooine garb. I must say, to this day this original Obi-Wan remains one of my all time favorite minifigures. His beard and hair are lovely, and his wide eyes and small mouth give him a deep-in-thought look characteristic of Alec Guiness' Ben. The robe print is much simpler than the most recent one, but it does the job well and was LEGO's common simple style back then. Luke is also a great minifigure with his original Luke face (my preference) and fitting Tatooine outfit printing, with leg printing too! These were also the first minifigures to ever sport the classic hair piece in gray or tan. Blondes didn't exist in LEGO's world before!

3991139321_14c4eb4b0a_o.jpg

Nothing on the backs, I'm afraid. You may wonder why Obi-Wan has that brown diaper on, and I have never figured that out, but I don't mind it. Perhaps Obi-Wan should have a brown cloak, but I don't mind not having that either. I'd rather have that nice gray hair. You could also say Luke should have long hair, but I'd rather have him without the girl hair that LEGO gives him nowadays. Now the CW Anakin hair in tan, that would be something.

3991896380_6c871a0cdf_o.jpg

ACCESSORIES

This set has just one accessory, but what a fine one it is. That's right, a new piece back then, a chrome lightsaber hilt! LEGO liked it so much that they put it in all five of the first Star Wars Classic sets. Obi-Wan lis awesturck by it.

3991139611_ec2bc15bb2_o.jpg

And if you don't believe me that it truly is chrome, behold…

3991139759_cb5466865b_o.jpg

BUILD

This set is small, so I have taken pictures of all odd-numbered steps. It's quick and not at all complicated, but it's fun to see the final shape coming together.

3991895120_6e39df3546_m.jpg3991895278_187944b481_m.jpg

3991895452_fb4a92ec4c_m.jpg3991138793_72ae68734c_m.jpg

3991138953_8161d8a592_m.jpg3991137091_1abed6700e_m.jpg

3991136609_bea8ed2536_m.jpg

The final step is adding the windshield, so I'm ready to move on to…

SET

From the dead-on front, you get hit in the face with some light gray and dark gray. You can tell that the speeder lies pretty flat since you can't see anything but the engines sticking out on the back.

3991139851_3fd71e30f6_o.jpg

From the side you can see the grillish bricks, and where most of the red is. The side engine pops out quite a bit at you, and overall the length of the speeder is pretty tiny. Also, those chairs look pretty high up compared to the windshield, which I will discuss more in the next section.

3991140181_77931af1db_o.jpg

The back reveals a long gray brick, pretty plain and an abrupt edge. It's a sure fact that this is one blocky model, but that's how it was back then. Blockiness makes it very sturdy, at least. Yep, those side engines sure do stick out a lot.

3991897144_e3cf25db16_o.jpg

This overhead angle better displays the smallness and blockiness of the model. You can also see the dark gray grill, about the only detail. Now, some of you may hate the blockiness and small size, but I find it cute in a certain way. This set is swooshable beyond belief, and there's no danger of anything falling off. The smallness makes it also perfectly swooshable for a child's little hand, although my hand about encompasses the entire thing.

3991897310_bfc81ce61c_o.jpg

SET with MINIFIGURES

While you could just swoosh the set around by itself if you felt like it, you'll probably have more fun playing with it with the minifigures. Problem is, adding the minifigures brings attention to the design flaws.

First, from this front view, look how high up Luke and Ob-Wan are compared to the windshield. Their heads are about on level with the middle engine! Now, if you remember the movie, you'll know that the windshield should be on the same level as Luke's face.

3991897778_0f09b7a473_o.jpg

If you thought the hight difference looked bad from the front, just look at the minifigures from the side! Their feet come above the top surface of the speeder! Getting rid of the chairs and raising the top surface of the speeder would help with this, but as it is that's a pretty blatant flaw. You do have to consider that this was 1999, but this really doesn't look good.

3991897960_70dc36b5c5_o.jpg

And then you notice… this is a force powered machine! There might be engines, but there are no controls! There is no excuse for this LEGO, you should've added at least some printed tile or one of those lever control things.

3991898194_165b273bf4_o.jpg

FUNCTIONS

What? Functions? C'mon, that thing's tiny, there're no functions in there!

Well, actually, LEGO left space underneath the hood for you to hide Obi-Wan's shiny lightsaber. Sure, you've got to pull the plate with the windshield on it off, but that's a function, right? I think it was quite nice of them to provide a space to keep the lightsaber so you won't misplace it while swooshing (nude or otherwise).

3991897556_6458720136_o.jpg

PLAY

I always like to include in my reviews nowadays some play suggestions, in case you're left blank on what to do with the set.

This time, LEGO has kindly included the correct minifigures to provide a reenactment of the movie, minus R2 and 3PO of course, but who needs them anyway?

3991906570_16d88260f8_o.jpg

"Obi-Wan Kenobi… Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time, a long time."

3991906748_a53d0e6768_o.jpg

But c'mon, just reenacting the movie isn't showing much imagination! What about if Luke's encounter with the Tuskens brings back Obi-Wan's memories of how Anakin started on the path to the Dark Side, and he becomes full of uncontrollable rage that he needs to take out on inanimate objects?!

3991149945_211b27b2e7_o.jpg

Maybe you could come up with something better.

CONCLUSION

This set is a classic, which means no matter what I say there will be lots of people out there who didn't buy it then trying to get their hands on it now. But let me tell you, it's worth the money. The minifigures are excellent, really top notch for the time especially, and Obi-Wan only appeared with these exact colors (old gray) in this set. Forty-seven pieces may not sound like so many for a $6.00 set, but the set has exclusive parts like the engines and those great minifigures, so the price is not at all bad. The model is out of proportion, sure, but like I said before, it's cute and extremely sturdy. Dropping it wouldn't do much (don't throw it out a window just to prove me wrong), and the small size makes it easily swooshable especially for little hands. This isn't one to get for detail, but it is one to get for nostalgia, cuteness, the minifigures, and a few nice parts.

RATINGS

Minifigures: 10/10 - don't ask for R2 and 3PO too. Ok, you could, but the minifigures LEGO decided to give you are awesome.

Pieces: 8.5/10 - engines and the windshield and chairs are nice, but the set would've benefitted from just a few more bricks to make hight proportions better.

Build: 8.5/10 - nothing revolutionary or even so interesting, but still fine and quick as it should be for a small set.

Price: 10/10 - for a licensed set with two great minifigures, it would be impossible to expect any cheaper.

Playability: 10/10 - this gets top marks for indestructability. Nope, that's not a word, but this thing can be banged against a wall (might hurt the wall, though).

Overall: 9.4/10 - not bad at all. Would've been a ten out of ten if the proportions had been a bit better, but we can forgive LEGO this once, right? Maybe…

If you can get your hands on it, do.

I'll be back (who knows with what!).

I love it!!

A set I always was sad about missing out on, is now remebered with a great review.

I never knew about the lightsaber slot, that's clever.

:thumbup::thumbup:

THis gets an Outstanding from me!

Good Job concerning the review :thumbup:

I like this set but it was missing two key things..

1. R2-D2 and C-3P0

2. A blaster for luke.

It seems that the overall design was poor too, the front end being to flat and not enough detail.

Overall it gets a 6/10 in my book.

Great review. Most people think this set is really good, but if you actually start thinking critically it isn't really that good. The only thing I would improve is to put those 2x2 skidplates on the bottom to make it slide. :thumbup:

Loved the review. Straight from the heart yet objective. It was a pleasure to read and look at, thanks!

You managed to aptly convey my feeling of the loss of magic involved with SW LEGO back then and the drive to produce the 'perfectly designed and cost effective product' today. During first few years the designs weren't at all as amazing as they often are today, but they had a certain charm, and that is absolutely what 7110 Landspeeder is about.

After reading this, it makes me love my LEGO all the more :wub: , the old and the new.

Good review of a set I'd nearly forgotten about. Just one thing though:

Those engines were created just for this set. Since there are three included, I can show you all angles in this pic. The detail, while minimal, is excellent, but this piece has been rarely used.

3991907968_5146a6c68e_o.jpg

I seem to have loads of these in the boxes of Lego I got from my older brothers (early 80's to mid 90's), so surely they must have been in other sets? It could be I'm missing some vital detail that's different, but I do remember building a lot of planes back in the mid 90's with these engines. Probably just my mistake, but was just wondering if anyone knew why.

You could quite possibly be thinking of these, which are somewhat similar. Definitely not the same though, as the Bricklink link I provide in the review shows when the part in this set came out.

You could quite possibly be thinking of these, which are somewhat similar. Definitely not the same though, as the Bricklink link I provide in the review shows when the part in this set came out.

That does seem more likely, given the dates on the sets it came in. Was sure I also had some that went on top... Oh well, it's been a long day, and I think I'm too tired for remembering correctly! Thanks for finding the piece though. At least I was sort of right, just the wrong way up!

The initial five-set release in 1999 featured 20 new molded pieces. The Episode I sets later that year would add another 14 new molded pieces as well.

Edited by prof1515

I'm not disagreeing with you per se, but I'd like to know what those twenty are. From looking at my old LEGO catalog, I can't count over eleven, and I own all those sets but one. Do you know of a place that lists them all, or could you?

EDIT: Ah, sorry to doubt you. After doing a second's worth of Bricklink searching, I found that a lot of those hinges that lock in place like we have today were created for the Star Wars sets. I'm glad you led me to find that out, thanks! (Changed in the review)

Great review of a classic set! :classic: This makes me exited for the new landspeeder coming in 2010! :cry_happy:

Great Review Clone O'Patra :thumbup:

I wish I had been collecting SW when this set came out :wub:

Oh well, will get it when it comes out next year. :sweet:

2. A blaster for luke.

Yes he needs a nice Long one :wub:

CommanderFox

Edited by CommanderFox

I'm not disagreeing with you per se, but I'd like to know what those twenty are. From looking at my old LEGO catalog, I can't count over eleven, and I own all those sets but one. Do you know of a place that lists them all, or could you?

EDIT: Ah, sorry to doubt you. After doing a second's worth of Bricklink searching, I found that a lot of those hinges that lock in place like we have today were created for the Star Wars sets. I'm glad you led me to find that out, thanks! (Changed in the review)

For those curious, I'll go through them set by set leaving out duplicates as I do.

Landspeeder: Engine, lightsaber hilt, lightsaber blade

Speeder Bikes: Biker scout helmet, triangular clips, bar with bricks on each end

Snowspeeder: Windshield, 4x2 slope, binoculars, Rebel pilot helmets, 1x2 single-finger locking hinge, 1x2 dual-finger locking hinge

X-Wing Fighter: R2 head, R2 body, R2 legs, 3x6 cylinder engine piece, 1x2 single-finger top-mounted locking hinge

Y-Wing and (Darth Vader's) TIE Fighter: Vader's helmet, TIE windshield, 6x6 inverted quadruple (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30373)

And with the Episode I releases (I also noticed I made a typo in my earlier post as it should read 14 new molds with these sets, not 13...that's what I get for not proofreading first):

Lightsaber Duel: Qui-Gon's hair, hood

Droid Fighter: 2x12 wing wedge pieces

Naboo Swamp: Jar Jar's head, battle droid head, battle droid body, battle droid arm, battle droid legs

Anakin's Podracer: Padme's hair, 1x8 hinged angled plate, 1x2 single-finger locking hinge plate

Naboo Fighter: Windshield

Sith Infiltrator: 6x6 cross dome plate

Mos Espa Podrace: Sebulba

Edited by prof1515

Very nice review. The pictures are taken well and it is easy to see the main details in the pictures of the landspeeder. I really enjoyed reading your review for each part and your final thoughts at the end. I think the scores you have given this set is fair especially for the level of detail and the blockiness. With the rest of your reviews they are of the highest standard and I cannot wait until you next review. One criticism I have is the minifigure part. Maybe you could have added a few close up of Luke and his brilliant leg decals. Apart from that the review is brilliant. :thumbup: