• 4 - Poor
    • 5 - Appalling

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Released: 25/10/09

Price: Free with Sunday Mirror Newspaper, cost £1

Parts: 30, plus 2 spares

Minifigs: 1

The "box" -

This polybag packaging wouldn't stand a chance on the shelves, so they're kept behind the counter until you hand over the voucher from the Daily Mirror...

doctor1.jpg

The parts -

32 in all, the two at the very bottom are spares. A reasonable selection of parts, but nothing special. That car chassis part is plain ugly. Nice to get some slicks, though. In comparison to the other Daily Mirror promos, 30 parts isn't a lot... The light bley tap is unfortunately the type without the hole in the nozzle.

doctor2.jpg

The build -

Nothing special here; worth noting that the instructions don't tell you how to put the wheels together, but it is pretty self-evident how to do so, even for a "5-12" year old (:blush:)

The minifig -

A simple doctor fig, but nothing new. The cap is the old style, not the new one which has a bent peak.

doctor3.jpg

The car -

Well, it's supposed to be a car, but it looks more like a go-kart, or buggy. It looks neat enough, but isn't particularly inspiring.

doctor4.jpg

The back of the car. Here are the doctor's instruments of torture - his black bag, which slots between the red 1x2 panel and the thing with the dial on it, which no doubt contains some sort of mailicious implements, but theses are unfortunately imaginary in this set. The pole with the blue light on it appears to be some sort of sharp rod for ramming down people's throats (or elsewhere), or stabbing them with; or it may be a beacon so that people can run away when they see the medicine man a-coming... There's the thing with the dial and blue light on it, which comes off (see 2 photos below) to make some sort of machine for measuring blood pressure or alcohol levels etc; either way, I don't like the look of it. Finally, the trans-clear cylinder with the tap coming out the top could either be a hi-tech water pistol, something for gassing people, another thing for sticking in orifices or pepper spray. It makes a sinister rattling sound as the car drives along, because the tap doesn't fit in properly if you push it in too far.

doctor5.jpg

The car looks more like a medical buggy you get at theme parks and concerts, so here's the doctor attacking a poor helpless raver...

doctor6.jpg

So in conclusion, was it worth the £1?

Maybe. Sure, it was cheaper than an impulse set, with roughly the same number of parts, but I consider those to be rip-offs themselves. This would be worth it at the normal Daily Mirror cost, 45p, but for over double that, I'm not so sure. But 3p per part is always good value, so it was worth picking one up.

A resolute 7/10, which would go up if it was cheaper, and down if the cost went up.

Hope you enjoyed it! :tongue:

Edited by Rick
Indexed

I agree with you it's not to bad nothing amazing but not to bad for less than £1. Considering that the even Lego store you can't pick up a minifig for that much.

:laugh: I like your parting shot.

Another great little promor set that it looks like I don't get. humpf.

Thanks for the great review, I love little sets, they are so much fun!!

I find it wierd that the Doctor has a baseball cap on.

I rate it poor, this set makes very little sense to me. Still thanks for the review.

Its not a bad set but it reminds me of a go-kart to much, or even a golf cart :sceptic:

Good review SlyOwl :thumbup:

I rate it poor, this set makes very little sense to me. Still thanks for the review.

Totally agree!

I was going to write the same text!

Average

Nice review Slyowl :thumbup:

However not much to be praised with this promo :laugh:

What is this useful for? A medical golf cart?

I can see maybe at a huge hospital, a doctor driving this around from building to building

But not field use :tongue:

Hmm, I was going to ask if I could get one of these instead of one of today's Creator lizards, since I missed the paper on Sunday (and I got five today), but I think I'll just take my army of death lizards. There's nothing really interesting about this car - I thought it was a go-cart at first, because the minifig wasn't present on the picture I saw. The pieces are meh, the design is illogical and the lizards come with loads of flat green corner-hinge bits I can never have enough of. Great review!

I click the thread and was expecting a Mercedes-Benz AMG coupe :tongue:

But pfft for that much money I wouldn't complain about the price at all.