Tereglith

Hole 6, Par 3

4019750193_127321c798_b.jpg

4019750161_a365025fea_b.jpg

A former castaway tees up at the Skull Entrance to hole six

4019750171_f5c53a10c1_b.jpg

This redcoat is happy because he's gotten a hole in one. Overachiever.

4019750175_1f118a0ef3_b.jpg

The pirate still hasn't given up his old ways. He's "accidentally" kicking his golf ball into a better position. Tsk tsk.

4019750179_54f81eb7bc_b.jpg

The redcoats went way overboard with the decorations for Hole 6. It's totally tacky. Where'd the skeleton come from, you ask? Well, they had to do something with all those yellowcoats...

4019750185_c1c6b9613d_b.jpg

To belay all questions about the path of the golf ball: you putt it into the skull's mouth, it rolls down inside and then goes down the spiral seen above. If you're as lucky as the redcoat it will bounce diagonally off the round wooden post obstacles and into the hole. If you aren't, then it won't, and you have to hit it between them.

C&C welcome, particularly suggestions on what I can put in the 8x8 empty space that would make the entry better without seeming like filler.

Bravo! I think that this is a very unique and fabulously constructed MOC. I admire some of the techniques you used here, such as the use of a brown tube for the trunk of palm tree and the use of a green cape for grass. The MOC's backstory and the landscape of this MOC is also quite pleasant as well. :pir-classic:

The only thing I suggest is for the 1x2 plate with handle that is next to the barrel to be removed, as it seems to serve no purpose.

Edited by Bricknave

The only thing I suggest is for the 1x2 plate with handle that is next to the barrel to be removed, as it seems to serve no purpose.

Oop! Thanks for reminding me of that - it and the plant were serving as filler until I could find some more brown pieces to work as siding there. I'll have to fix that up before the deadline...

Thanks for your praise :pir-classic:

I love the storyline and the MOC, and perhapes you should use up-side-down small axes for golf clubs :pir-classic:

And I think British Drummers wore yellow coats, i'm not sure...

Edited by curtisrlee

Ah yes, this was an idea that got mentioned in the staff planning thread :pir-laugh:

Very well executed, and I must remember that ribbed-hose technique for palm trees.

You could put in another hole (Islanders/Armada), with something like "get it in the kraken/shark's mouth", if you have some water there; you have to chip it into the beast's mouth...

I love the storyline and the MOC, and perhapes you should use up-side-down small axes for golf clubs :pir-classic:

And I think British Drummers wore yellow coats, i'm not sure...

I only have one small axe :pir-sad2: , but I could add some 1x1 smooth tiles over the studs on the clubs.

Hmm, yeah, a faction of rogue, cowardly drummer boys... makes sense :pir_laugh2: . I chose yellow because it's a symbol of cowardice.

Ah yes, this was an idea that got mentioned in the staff planning thread

Very well executed, and I must remember that ribbed-hose technique for palm trees.

You could put in another hole (Islanders/Armada), with something like "get it in the kraken/shark's mouth", if you have some water there; you have to chip it into the beast's mouth...

My idea was mentioned in the staff planning thread? :pir-oh: Wow, I'm flattered.

I was thinking about something like that with my kraken. I don't think there's enough room for it to be an entirely different hole, though, but I'm thinking of ways to make it work as part of this hole...

Oop! Thanks for reminding me of that - it and the plant were serving as filler until I could find some more brown pieces to work as siding there. I'll have to fix that up before the deadline...

Thanks for your praise :pir-classic:

You're welcome! Glad to help! :pir-classic:

I really like the scene! But why did you have to put a skeleton on a cannon! My MOC called "never relieved" is not awash!

Other that stealing my idea without knowing it! I love the overall look and it feels jovial and captures the story.

I guess you know how I feel because someone already had a golf one up and I think I saw you being a salty dog about it? :pir_laugh2:

-martinsuper

Oh well, I personally don't think that anyone should be a salty dog - all the entries so far have been quite unique and have brought something new to the contest... Same as this ultra-impossible golf course by Tereglith here. If I were a golfing fan, I'd probably be thrilled. However, since I use my stick to hit a puck and not a plastic jumpy ball, I feel simply terrified by the complexity of this :pir_laugh2: But that doesn't mean I didn't notice that cheating pirate over there!!! I hope he never manages to finish the course :pir-tongue:

Now then, you ask what you could add so that the 8x8 section doesn't look tacky OR empty... Well, the first thing that came to my head when I saw it was -- tiles. I don't know if you've seen this non-piratey-yet-quite-eye-catching golf MOC, but looking at it I really feel that golf and LEGO tiles should go hand in hand... Otherwise how would that poor ball move between the studs anyway ;] So I'd really suggest adding tiles and seeing how it looks... I bet you wouldn't need to place anything else there!

The background part of the MOC however is pure eye candy! The rarely-seen palm tree trunk technique, the cloth-made shrubs and the custom golf "watchtower"... those are all unique and very entertaining. One thing I can't help but notice is the castaway's perenially desperate look... couldn't he have at least tried to smile while enjoying a fun pastime which no castaway ever would have expected to partake in? :pir_laugh2:

Now then, you ask what you could add so that the 8x8 section doesn't look tacky OR empty... Well, the first thing that came to my head when I saw it was -- tiles. I don't know if you've seen this non-piratey-yet-quite-eye-catching golf MOC, but looking at it I really feel that golf and LEGO tiles should go hand in hand... Otherwise how would that poor ball move between the studs anyway ;] So I'd really suggest adding tiles and seeing how it looks... I bet you wouldn't need to place anything else there!

The background part of the MOC however is pure eye candy! The rarely-seen palm tree trunk technique, the cloth-made shrubs and the custom golf "watchtower"... those are all unique and very entertaining. One thing I can't help but notice is the castaway's perenially desperate look... couldn't he have at least tried to smile while enjoying a fun pastime which no castaway ever would have expected to partake in? :pir_laugh2:

Hrmm... If there's one piece I really have very few of, it's green tiles. Well, actually, it's anything fabuland or spongbob or SWCW exclusive or... but if there's one standard piece I have very few of, it's green tiles. The astroturf that you see in this entry is actually just about the sum total of all of my green pieces :pir-sceptic: . So thanks for the suggestion, but I'm probably going to leave the studs (imagine that it's that annoying bumpy turf they use sometimes to make the holes more difficult :pir_laugh2: ) and go for the "hole in the Kraken's mouth" idea instead.

I had a great time building the background, so I'm glad you enjoy it (I was rather proud of the cape idea, but I didn't know I was doing anything terribly special with the flexible tube). The castawy looks so desperate because he has fifty nine shots so far on the course, and he doesn't want to come in last place because then he has to buy the rum afterwards :pir-tongue: (not really, I just made that up on the spot)

I'd agree with Black Rabbit that you're probably going to win that advent calendar, Otters. Watch out for Martinsuper, though... :pir-classic:

Hey! You got a good thing going on with your moc. I really like the use of the grey big skull piece. The only thing I'm not sure about is the us of the cape for grass. It looks a little bit odd in my honest opinion.

Badboy

Hey! You got a good thing going on with your moc. I really like the use of the grey big skull piece. The only thing I'm not sure about is the us of the cape for grass. It looks a little bit odd in my honest opinion.

Badboy

It looks a little odd in my opinion too, and it's a pain the megablocks to photograph, because it's always popping into weird postions. But it's the only way I could think of to do the banked hills that you see so often in mini golf courses, and I think that having it back there makes the whole MOC seem more minigolfish. If anyone can suggest a better way to get a similar shape, but with a less "odd-looking" method, I'll try it out.