Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

GTE: My Own Ghost Train

Hello there!

Again a nice combination and photopgraphing/imaging techniques! :classic:

I must admit that I never got hands on one of the new ghost shrouds. I only own few of them from older castle sets. This transparent-glowing, however, looks even more mysterious. I should get one of these and some of those new transparent-glowing pieces. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

OOoohh... so much purple :cry_happy: . Never saw a train that purple before :oh: . Love the design! I love every part of it!

Thanks BSR. All of the purple comes from one set, Harry Potter's Knights Bus. It's a great set for purple and train windows.

A little bit about purple: I had never used the color before in any creation and always wanted to do so. I broke out this set from the garage for just a few pieces to build the Haunted Mansion MOC (pictured in my signature). I think its a very "haunting" color that lends itself well to create spooky MOCs (similar to sand green).

PS: When is the last train to Gravestone :wink: ?

It won't be this one. :wink: The Last Stand at Tierra De Los Muertos (Grave Stone MOC pictured below) is based somewhat on the prison of Tierra del Fuego. Some of the information about this actual place involves a "train to the end of the world". This may be a hint as to a future Grave Stone creation, as I was never very happy with my Grave Stone Ghost Train engine.

This particular train was meant to be a little more "light-hearted" similar to one of those Halloween Village trains.

Again a nice combination and photopgraphing/imaging techniques! :classic:

This transparent-glowing, however, looks even more mysterious. I should get one of these and some of those new transparent-glowing pieces. :classic:

Thanks Chris. You mean the old ghosts don't glow in the dark? I did enhance this one a bit, but it does glow in the dark. The trans yellow round 1x1s are from the My Own Train Steam Engine. I didn't give these much thought, but rather used them because I had them handy.

In regard to the photo-editing, I did spend quite a bit of time on this one because I wanted a nice spooky Halloween background. My first background was a haunted house, but it was just too busy. This 2nd, more solid-looking backdrop worked well, and I'm happy with how the steam came out.

What's next, in case any of you are wondering?

This train is not done, as I have a few additional cars to add, and they won't all be passenger cars. I'd like to "spook things up a notch" with some additional accessories (similar to the Grave Stone Ghost Train).

Thanks for the feedback - didn't get too many from the train fans so I'm thinking it must be a bit basic for most of them.

That's an awesome MOC, TheBrickster! :oh:

I really :wub: it!

The locomotive as well as the carriage both look very realistic! :oh:

Only three ideas for improvement:

Please remove the yellow hands from the ghost and give him white ones. :grin:

I'd use a different style of lettering for the "Ghost Line" writing - perhaps a more ancient style of lettering so it would look more gloomy.

I'd add a door to the locomotive. There is really enough place so it looks a bit empty and strange when there is none. I know that train doors aren't available in purple - but you could try with hinges.

Otherwise it's perfect! The details on the locomotive are stunning and I mainly like the colors - purple and black do work very well for your ghost train!

Very, very well done! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Btw: Since this train could well be used for Western: Will this train appear - with some minifigs and some additional stuff - in your Grave Stone collection, too?

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

That's an awesome MOC, TheBrickster! :oh:

Thanks KD. I know your not into trains that much, so I appreciate your review and comments of this Ghost Train.

Please remove the yellow hands from the ghost and give him white ones. :grin:

:laugh: funny - I was thinking of how you call these "cheese hands" when I pictured the ghost on the wagon. I leave these on in Classic Castle tradition.

I'd use a different style of lettering for the "Ghost Line" writing - perhaps a more ancient style of lettering so it would look more gloomy.

These words are only "photo-edited" into the picture. I'm still debating on what I'm going to do in terms of the sides and decals for this MOC. I'd like to add an actual brick-built yellow stripe.

However, I can't tell you how many times I tried changing the font for the wording, not happy with anything I chose; finally settling for what you see.

I'd add a door to the locomotive. There is really enough place so it looks a bit empty and strange when there is none. I know that train doors aren't available in purple - but you could try with hinges.

You make a good point here, but I had never planned to use doors (although I wish I had a few in black). The engine was modelled after the MOT Steam Train which only uses decals on the sides. The back is open for entry. American steam trains rarely had side doors, and even locomotives like the Emerald Night don't have side doors. I actualy like the use of the larger train windows which show the inside nicely and I think add to the playbility. I may reconstruct the sides to add a stripe of yellow. It looks a bit plain with just black (I think, although actual decals would add a lot as I look at it now).

Btw: Since this train could well be used for Western: Will this train appear - with some minifigs and some additional stuff - in your Grave Stone collection, too?

No, this was really intended to be a more "Haunted Village" style Ghost Train with use of the purple, and I am planning to add a few more wagons (one that I have been planning but need a few more bricks. :wink: ).

I also saw a very interesting inspiration train image that I'd like to try building in LEGO (but I'll need to reconstruct the passenger wagon to do so, if I try it).

In any case, thank you again for the constructive review of this MOC. As a fellow Wild West fan (as well as Classic Town). I enjoy reading your thoughts.

EDIT: KD, I'd love to see you build a train MOC. I know that you own 3225 Classic Train. Perhaps you can use this as a base to spook things up a bit and create a Wild West Ghost Train.

Wow! Spooky train is on the loose! :tongue:

A beautiful piece of spooky train creation, filled with lovely purple pieces matched with black roof ceilings certainly emulate some creepy aura upon viewing. Not to mention, that you have done a terrific job on the photo editing to enhance the creepy effects.

It's great to see you acquire so many purple pieces to construct this train and to expand onto your Gravestone theme. It has been awhile since I last saw you do this, but I am glad that you continue on this project. :thumbup:

It's great to see you acquire so many purple pieces to construct this train and to expand onto your Gravestone theme. It has been awhile since I last saw you do this, but I am glad that you continue on this project. :thumbup:

Thanks WF. :classic: Believe it or not, all the purple is from Harry Potter's Knight Bus (with some left over for one or two more cars (including windows). I would never have thought that this little bus would make such a great purple parts pack (esp. w/ its train windows).

I realize most of my "spooky creations" are part of the Grave Stone genre, but as I mentioned to Klaus-Dieter, this is outside the realm of Grave Stone and Wild West. It is intended to be more of a Studio Movie Monster train, and my next train car might show off the theme a little better, if I ever get around to attempting to build it.

In any case, thanks for your feedback. I sort of like the thought of a Tran-sylvania Express.

Thanks WF. :classic: Believe it or not, all the purple is from Harry Potter's Knight Bus

*sigh*

I should have snatched that when I had the chance a few years back.

Anyway, THIS is absolutely inspiring! I love the fact that you've gone for the original "no-doors" look for the engine - and the passenger car is also very nice. I was going to say I wonder why there are no passengers, but I just realised how stupid that would sound with the whole Halloween theme going on...

When are you going to upload new pics of the train hauling more spooky cargo? Oh, and by the way... how about adding a 'Ghost Train Shed' to your creations for this month? That would really put the icing on the cake!

Otters: I always appreciate your kind words and creative ideas. This MOC was really intended to promote the building challenge, but I had always wanted to build a "spooky Halloween train" that wasn't part of the Grave Stone collection. I hope it did inspire a few to build a Ghost Train.

I have since added a yellow stripe to the engine, passenger car, and small caboose/passenger car (not pictured) as a little extra detailing. I may share a picture of the whole train, if I can get one to come out. Trains are hard to photograph.

Your idea to have a few extra haunts aboard isn't a bad one at all. I always seem to use figs sparingly, not sure why. Love the idea of a haunted shed. Perhaps I may just try one - that would be fun.

The purplecolor really goes well wth the dark backgoruns, it makes it more spooky. I can't wait to see more pictures.