382nd Legionnaire

Motorized Walking AT-TE?

I run engineering workshops in Silicon Valley, and we're currently half-way through making our own mechanized AT-TE based on the LEGO set, and should have it walking before Christmas. We are motorizing each joint individually, and using software control to create smooth motions.

If anyone's interested, we're posting photos and video daily to our Facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Campbell-CA/...31093066?ref=ts

That is fantastic! :thumbup: I can see some very smart techniques hidden in there!

Great job, and I look forward to seeing more!

(Welcome to EB!)

Great job! I just wish it were all Lego. I'd love to see the finished model!

I know. I'm not a purist in this regard. I figure if use all the technologies at our disposal and show LEGO what's possible, maybe they'll make us better parts. :)

However, we are designing to keep the scale and the cosmetic parts consistent with the original model.

Great find, i love the slight movement of the top part as its walking, really gives it a realistic look. :thumbup:

Fantastic creation. I can only hope LEGO takes note and offers us something better than the crummy power functions they currently do.

EB is a forum about Lego.

Were are the Lego in the mechanism of your AT-TE ? O_o

EB is a forum about Lego.

Were are the Lego in the mechanism of your AT-TE ? O_o

They're not.

As he said they're keep the cosmetics - it's a mechanized LEGO model.

And that's LEGO enough for me to have this around :wub:

Not much different that people making their own parts and decals in the MCW, is it?

parts and decals in the MCW, is it?

Sorry but... what is it ?! :wacko:

Edited by Anio

Great work on the motorization, I know I could never do that. And just to let you all know, it is possible to motorize it just with LEGO Power Functions.

Great work on the motorization, I know I could never do that. And just to let you all know, it is possible to motorize it just with LEGO Power Functions.

Wow, that video is awesome. Thanks!

Ours differs in that we'll have control over each individual joint separately, and we'll coordinate all the motions in software. Hopefully we can get it walking as smoothly.

We will post additional updates as we make progress. Should be finished in two weeks.

Very kewl. You have some impressive credentials there too! I'm glad you decided to post this here. I wish I could go to that Build your own RC Car workshop but I live in the Boston area. Kind of a coincidence but I was looking for a workshop to gift to my brother and niece. I've actually been trying to think of a design to build a remote control car from Legos using the power functions but it's a bit saddening that Lego went IR instead of RF. I was thinking it would be very simple and easy to mod the Lego Power Functions IR receiver into using Radio Frequency by purchsing one of those $20 mini RC RF cars and using those parts.

Looking Awesome so far myProjectsSV :thumbup::wub:

Maybe when you complete it, then you could think about changing some of the non-Lego parts into Lego parts, But really nice job with it so far! :wub:

Thats a cool video Spyder :thumbup::wub:

All this Motorized AT-TE business is making me really want an AT-TE. :wub: :wub:

CommanderFox

Looking Awesome so far myProjectsSV :thumbup::wub:

Maybe when you complete it, then you could think about changing some of the non-Lego parts into Lego parts, But really nice job with it so far!

CommanderFox

Thanks for the props CommanderFox! Give us the chance to show you what it can do before we start going back to all-LEGO parts. This initial prototype has steel parts, but the final form will have an aircraft-aluminum chassis and carbon-fiber suspension. It will still have all the LEGO external parts and be exactly the same size as the original LEGO model, but these internals will allow us to handle steep inclines, off-cambers, and step over obstacles. It has a high-torque motor at every joint, and a lithium-polymer battery that can source 36 Amps. It should be a pretty serious piece of hardware! :classic: :classic: Can't wait to show you.

That said, I'm blown away by how well the all-LEGO walkers work in the vids that were shared in this thread.

Here's a video of the steel prototype parts being cut by a 1500W laser. It's kind of reminiscent of the droid factories. :classic:

Very kewl. You have some impressive credentials there too! I'm glad you decided to post this here. I wish I could go to that Build your own RC Car workshop but I live in the Boston area. Kind of a coincidence but I was looking for a workshop to gift to my brother and niece. I've actually been trying to think of a design to build a remote control car from Legos using the power functions but it's a bit saddening that Lego went IR instead of RF. I was thinking it would be very simple and easy to mod the Lego Power Functions IR receiver into using Radio Frequency by purchsing one of those $20 mini RC RF cars and using those parts.

Thanks man. I actually used to live in Boston from 2001-2005. Love it there.

Grimmy, if you're really committed to the RF solution, the easiest path (but to your point, not the cheapest) might be to use a Radio/Receiver/Electronic-Speed-Controller kit. You could wire the LEGO drive motor directly to the speed controller, use any battery over 6V, and it'd come with a steering servo that you could easily connect to your LEGO rack and pinion with the right sized screw. Your solution would work, but the electronics would probably be a little more tricky.

Here's an example of the radio/receiver/esc. It costs $85 usd.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...XASX4**&P=7

futj15.jpg

futm0922.jpg

Edited by myProjectsSV

Very cool, motorized, radio-controlled, wow...

I think motorizing an AT-TE or any kind of vehicle for that matter, is pretty cool, though I think I personally prefer an all-Lego solution.

Thanks for the props CommanderFox! Give us the chance to show you what it can do before we start going back to all-LEGO parts. This initial prototype has steel parts, but the final form will have an aircraft-aluminum chassis and carbon-fiber suspension. It will still have all the LEGO external parts and be exactly the same size as the original LEGO model, but these internals will allow us to handle steep inclines, off-cambers, and step over obstacles. It has a high-torque motor at every joint, and a lithium-polymer battery that can source 36 Amps. It should be a pretty serious piece of hardware! :classic: :classic: Can't wait to show you.

Here's a video of the steel prototype parts being cut by a 1500W laser. It's kind of reminiscent of the droid factories. :classic:

Your Welcome!

Cool can't wait to see the finished product! :sweet:

Thats a cool video, of the laser cutting the steel. :thumbup:

Someone should try an AT-OT now. :cry_happy:

CommanderFox

Edited by CommanderFox

We had the 4th session of my AT-TE robot walker workshop last night. We got the final aluminum frame pieces (1/3rd the weight of the steel prototypes), and added the carbon fiber torsion suspension. Next week we'll wire it up and start programming the motions.

More pictures on our facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Campbell-CA/...31093066?ref=ts

Follow on Twitter: http://twitter.com/myProjectstweet

13839_190434198066_168231093066_3229296_6916135_n.jpg

Hi all, we have nearly got our AT-TE walking!!! :classic: :classic:

I just posted some videos of testing to the myProjects Facebook Fan Page.

After a few requests, we've been toying with the idea of selling a kit, so others could do this, and the whole user community could work together to share software to improve the walking and add other features. (My development team and I previously work at Apple on the iPod and iPhone, so I think we could make a great quality product here, for a very good price).

We're undecided yet whether to produce a kit. What do you guys think? Would anyone be interested?

The kit would include:

- Durable aircraft aluminum internal frame for rigidity.

- High Torque motors to individually control each leg joint.

- Powerful CPU with additional inputs for adding features.

- Long lasting rechargeable battery.

- Fully functional software, preprogrammed in for walking.

- Remote-control.

- Detailed graphical assembly instructions.

Additional features:

- External appearance would be nearly identical to the LEGO AT-TE, using most of the parts from the LEGO AT-TE kit.

- User-programmable from PC or Mac over USB.

- Program in C language.

- All code from us would be open source.

13839_204413923066_168231093066_3280338_8071094_n.jpg

13839_204328738066_168231093066_3280100_4758549_n.jpg

It really is coming along! :cry_happy::wub:

The two front and two back legs kinda look abit off, as in to bent but Im sure you will be able to fix that.

A kit would be a great idea! :thumbup: Though I wouldn't be getting it as I don't own the AT-TE.

Really nice job with it and I can't wait to see it fully finished!

CommanderFox

Edited by CommanderFox

Looks good, I guess a kit is a nice idea but would probably be pretty expensive.

I have to agree with CommanderFox, the front and back legs look a little off, I guess that is because the lower part of the leg is a little long in relation to the rest.

Looks good, I guess a kit is a nice idea but would probably be pretty expensive.

I have to agree with CommanderFox, the front and back legs look a little off, I guess that is because the lower part of the leg is a little long in relation to the rest.

Sorry, I didn't see this post sooner to reply.

I agree about the legs too, and we'll make adjustments to get the scale more accurate.

I think we could actually make this kit very cost competitive, but "expensive" is such a relative concept. There are some walking robot kits out there ranging from $500 to $1500. I think we could be more competitive in features and value.

What do you think would be reasonable?