Sign in to follow this  
ZCerberus

Z's Lighthouse

Well this lighthouse will go on Fort Brighton... somewhere...

It is not exactly historically accurate, but then again, what do I make that ever is!

Lighthouses in the age of the pirates would have been made of wood like this one is, but they would not have had the spiraling stripe... and even if it did have a spiraling stripe it would be far more brightly colored. I also am not much of a landscaper as most know, but I try my best!

I might try to snap a few shops tomorrow when I have some day light. The lighthouse does indeed have a light brick up top, but I can't hold it in and snap pictures too easily.

Anyhow, a few snaps without the flash or very good light....

img_4379.jpg

img_4373.jpg

img_4375.jpg

img_4377.jpg

img_4368.jpg

Edited by ZCerberus

That's awesome, why don't you enter this into the PTV2 contest (after taking some pictures in better lighting conditions :pir_laugh2: )?

Edited by Rick

Well, it might not be historical accurate, but it's still better than no lighthouse at all :pir-classic: And I don't mind anyway because it's a very nice building.

I'd say, creativity in the first place, that's more important than historical accuracy.

Finally, the stairs look very good and I also like the use of hands for the fish :pir-sweet:

Edited by Admiral Croissant

This is awesome Z! I love the rocks below, you don't see SNOT rocks every day. :pir-laugh:

The tower is also very nice, but isn't it dangerous? A large wooden tower with a large flame on it...

I'd love to see the lighthouse connected to your port where you're working on!

Nice work. I can't wait to see where else you go with this. Excellent work. :pir-classic:

You lighthouse is really amazing!

The hanging fish idea is great and the rock is totally made out of SNOT technique! :imperialguard_commander1:

I was really bored so I made this:

img_4373.png

Here's the video.

Edited by saberwing

Great job Z! I love the stairs! What does the inside look like? Is it sturdy?

Inside it looks like nothing :(

The tower is currently just sitting on the base-- it is stable when it is just sitting there, but I would hesitate to pick the whole thing up.

The walls on the tower hold together well though.

The tower is also very nice, but isn't it dangerous? A large wooden tower with a large flame on it...

Yes, it was quite dangerous. Lighthouses would burn down if the flame hit the roof quite often. Usually the "light room" in a wooden lighthouse was a ways down in the structure to keep the candle flames from reaching the roof, but on occasion the things would burn down. That was certainly one of several reasons they moved to masonry brick.

I was really bored so I made this:

img_4373.png

Hah, very nice. Thanks. You can see the light brick in that picture... if only I had three hands... or a good way to depress the brick with Lego bricks while snapping the shot.

Thats much better now its more bright. How far from the port will this be? Since it has a slight port on the Rocks.

All it needs is a little log cabin next to it so the Lighthouse keeper has somewhere to stay for the week shift:

lake_cabin-01.jpg

That is one amazing lighthouse! I really like all the objects on the dock. The rocks around the lighthouse are also incredible and so are the steps leading up to the lighthouse! I can't wait until more of your port is complete!

Wow, that is an amazing MOC!

The use of those brown pieces for the lighthouse make it look very old and wooden - nice work!

The SNOT/tiled rock is amazing! It looks so detailed, yet so simple at the same time. The rock arch is also a great touch.

Keep up the good work! :pir-classic:

Very nice job u have done on this, even tho im not a fan of SNOT rocks it is a great bit of landscaping. Im sure your finished project will look stunning once complete. Seeing a nice moc like this makes me wanna go build something really epic! Watch this space :pir_laugh2: Great work, keep 'em coming Z!

Great Lighthouse! I have a soft spot in my heart for lighthouses, and I'm surprised they aren't MOC'd more often. I particularly liked the base you came up with, as it gives a diorama look to the structure. One suggestion I would make would be to possibly add some visual interest to the body of the structure by adding an observation deck, or some large observation windows about halfway up.

The rock is certainly one of the best points about this creation. Hence you can do landscape pretty well.

I wonder though, which ships should this massive tower guide into harbor? As far as I know, you have none in minifig scale :pir-tongue:

best regards

Perfectionist

Thanks all for the positive feedback... a few things...

One suggestion I would make would be to possibly add some visual interest to the body of the structure by adding an observation deck, or some large observation windows about halfway up.

Well that is why I tried the stripe- I would like to do more windows but the curved ones are hard to work in (there are no such thing as brown 1 x 4 Lego arches and no good quality black lattice windows in the square variety. I tried a couple of other colors but didn't love them. I do agree it is a bit bland in the center... I might come up with something!

I wonder though, which ships should this massive tower guide into harbor? As far as I know, you have none in minifig scale :pir-tongue:

What do you mean? Do you mean I do not have any ships using the Lego® style hulls? Or is this sarcasm?

Thats much better now its more bright. How far from the port will this be? Since it has a slight port on the Rocks.

All it needs is a little log cabin next to it so the Lighthouse keeper has somewhere to stay for the week shift:

lake_cabin-01.jpg

That is a lovely cabin... if it weren't going to be integrated into Fort Brighton as was a complete stand alone MOC, I think I would consider it. I do like that log technique though, is that one of yours Joey?

Very nice job u have done on this, even tho im not a fan of SNOT rocks it is a great bit of landscaping. Im sure your finished project will look stunning once complete. Seeing a nice moc like this makes me wanna go build something really epic! Watch this space :pir_laugh2: Great work, keep 'em coming Z!

I am a big fan of your landscaping skills so keep pouring out the MOCs so I can "borrow" your techniques!