scruffulous

MOC: Rail Tractor

traintech1.jpg

This is a Victorian Railways rail tractor (RT). These odd little engines were used for shunting wagons within station limits, and could manage a maximum load of ~10 loaded wagons. They were basically a farm tractor engine and a cab built onto a wagon underframe. You can read more about them here.

3990048954_0375ec84bb.jpg

RT33 operated at Korong Vale, and I was lucky enough to ride on the back of one when I was around 8 years old. Unfortunately, it was cold and raining on that day, and the driver was so busy shunting trucks that he forgot about me...I ended up with pneumonia, but I still think it was worth it ;)

In terms of the build, the cab took the longest to get right...lots of SNOT to get the window proportions right, and the doors recessed. The external mirrors were also a challenge. I'll probably do a "RT33" decal for the side. You can check out a few more photos here.

RT33 operated at Korong Vale, and I was lucky enough to ride on the back of one when I was around 8 years old. Unfortunately, it was cold and raining on that day, and the driver was so busy shunting trucks that he forgot about me...I ended up with pneumonia, but I still think it was worth it ;)

That's a nice model, I assume they were mostly rural as I had never seen one before. I might take a trip to Williamstown to see #1. I've been before but that was 25 years ago, so I'm overdue.

Australia was a great place to grow up :classic: When I was about 8 I was looking through the cab window at a tram driver. We lived a bit passed the end of the line, at the second last stop the driver opened the cab door and asked if I wanted to drive the tram. He pointed to where I should push the throttle to adjust the speed :classic:

Nicely done, looks just like the prototype. I'm always fascinated by all of the "non standard" rail equipment out there, and I'm always pleased to see when one is rendered in LEGO.

--Tony

Good execution of a nice protoptype. I especially like how the 1x1 corner panels are rotated 45deg.

- BMW

This is great little creation. You did a great job on the cabin getting the windows and detailing to the right scale and posistion. Not easy to do on such a small model. The tractor nose section is really well done too. Congrats!

That's great scruffulous, I'm assuming we'll be seeing all these MOCs at Brickvention 2010? What a curious little train though - I never knew it existed, but a tractor on a train body? How bizarre! :wacko: You did a brilliant job of capturing the details of this odd little locomtive though. Well done. :thumbup:

Australia was a great place to grow up :classic: When I was about 8 I was looking through the cab window at a tram driver. We lived a bit passed the end of the line, at the second last stop the driver opened the cab door and asked if I wanted to drive the tram. He pointed to where I should push the throttle to adjust the speed :classic:

Cool!

My train driving experience is when my friend in Broken Hill took me inside an NR Class loco and I drove that around the rail yard. Now that WAS fun! But I've never driven a tram. :sad:

Although I have flown a Boeing 747 with 450+ people on board.

That's great scruffulous, I'm assuming we'll be seeing all these MOCs at Brickvention 2010?

My train driving experience is when my friend in Broken Hill took me inside an NR Class loco and I drove that around the rail yard. Now that WAS fun! But I've never driven a tram. :sad:

Although I have flown a Boeing 747 with 450+ people on board.

I'm hopping we'll see them at BV as well.

I sat in the cockpit of a 747 when I was 10, but they didn't let me touch anything :cry_sad:

Very nice S. It's a very interesting design that I have not seen before in LEGO. The body looks fantastic, as well as the railing on the front-end. Nice job on this, and great colors!

I sat in the cockpit of a 747 when I was 10, but they didn't let me touch anything :cry_sad:

No, I was actually flying this one. He told me to slowly push this throttle thingo down...and the plane went down! Only a little before I pulled it back up. I daresay the pilot wouldn've been in a little strife with ATC is his plane went too low! :laugh: