Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Ron

Soldiers with no Work

lego_008.jpg

lego_009.jpg

lego_010.jpg

I wonder what that Spaniard was doing down here?

lego_011.jpg

"I hope the Mrs. made me a tuna sandwich"

lego_012.jpg

lego_013.jpg

Heave!

lego_014.jpg

What do you all think?

Edited by SlyOwl

haha, very cool. I really laughed at the old guy pushing the cart, not sure why.

I like how you took pictures to show the insides as well as the outside. Is that a jackhammer :pir_laugh2: I don't think they had those back then.

Poor poor souls. :pir_bawling:

As far as I can remember, there's no problem if the same contestant enters MOCs into two different categories... Well done for finding the time for that! I can't even get started on 1 entry ;( Your idea is really cool - I guess it would have been even WORSE for those redcoats if a pirate was actually running the entire operation :pir_laugh2:

As to the MOC itself - try sealing all those bricks and plates together, that way the rock will have a more "solid" feel, rather than looking... erm... shaky, so to speak. I recognised the mining cart design from the Dwarves' Mine and as cool as that is, I'm 100% certain you can come up with something even better and more original - viewers should definitely reward that (especially bearing in mind the Train Tech Contest that's drawing to an end). You could also add some crystals or gold within the mine, a throwback to the classical "hidden treasure" concept, worked into those surroundings... perhaps a soldier could attempt to hide a gold piece he'd found and smuggle it outside the cave unnoticed? Oh, and you might also want to try turning that bumper around since the way it is now, it would only stop an imaginary incoming cart from entering the cave, not the other way round :pir-tongue:

Good luck in this category - this one has the makings of a strong contender!

I like it allot but there is one major area for improvement, the top. With all the open space I would love to see a pirate relaxing up there laughing at the imperials. If you wanted to you could also put a canary in the mine, either this,this, or a brick-built one. Good luck in the contest and good job on the rest of the entry.

I like the idea. Nothing I've seen before in this contest. There ares some things which can be improved.

-There is a 3x1x1 arch in the mine rock which to me looks unnatural.

-I find it hard to believe imperial soldiers would work in a min in their expencive uniforms. I'd change the outfits of the soldiers inside the mine and make an armed soldier in uniform guard the mine on the outside.

-Lose the jack hammer!

- To me the rock looks a little bit flat on top. And you need to push some bricks a little bit harder because there are some gaps vissible.

~Badboy

While I liked the building, I felt like it wasn't something for a MOC like this.

What I'm trying to say is that if you made an open MOC, with no top, but with surrounding tunnel walls, as if we were seeing in the tunnel, we could see much more, you could add more, and so forth.

Photography could be better with some large white posterboard to cover the bits of carpet. There is also a tilt in the one with the old soldier.

I really like the smiling Redcoat with the lunch from the Mrs. He's jolly and seems to be walking like that, pickaxe on his shoulder and whistling :pir_laugh2:

The rock formation could use some work. It could use more of a blend, especially to the lower edges, and all those curves seem really funky.

But I really do think opening it up would allow much more action and a more appealing entry than a closed-top one like this.

Good luck.

[-TA-]

All great suggestions! especially the open top idea and the original minecart! I will be making a new one soon so stay tuned!

That's nice. I really like the detail in the cave. It looks really realistic. Another cool detail is the cart :pir-classic:

While I do like the idea and your use of minifigs, and the smaller details, I really feel that the rocky structure needs a lot of work. Right now it demands all the attention in the pictures. Perhaps if you rebuilt it completely, it would fit in better with the rest of the detailed things you've created.

I know it's extremely difficult to build rocks and cliffs etc (I've only just begun myself) but you can find great inspiration here - it is a comprehensive guide found on classic-castle.com - there are numerous examples of different rock formations.

I hope you can find the inspiration to re-create the rock, because if you can, I would think that you would have a much better chance in the competition.

The others have offered some pretty sound advice. I would definitely try to make the rock face more regular. Also, you may notice that lots of the MOCs that won last year have more than one layer of action. Perhaps making the mine appear more underground, and the top of the MOC is sea level, would make it work better. You could have two levels of action, and it would look less like the soldiers just found a random giant rock full of coal sticking up out of the ground. As for the jackhammer, I love it! The idea that there's this crazy scientist imperial who sits up at night tinkering with a rock-pounder device is hysterical. However, instead of using the standard jackhammer piece, I'd use some sort of steampunkified brick-built one.

EDIT: You CAN enter in more than one category - the rule is one entry per member per category.

Edited by Tereglith

Since there has been so much comment on this MOC I will see if I can find some items that haven't been said.

I really enjoyed the mine idea and it reminded me of the old gold mine in the western series, but still believable with pirate line minifigs!

I think the reason I liked the beard on the soldier is because it shows that he hasn't been "battle ready" for a while and instead has gone rather un-soldierly as a cole miner. Have you thought about changing those white pants? I don't think white pants would stay white long in a cole mine. Nothing stays white in a cole mine.

-martinsuper

Congratulations, this is a really BIG improvement over your first edition, way to go! I really enjoy the sense of business "Men hard at work"-style that this one recreates. Besides, I feel that most details are spot on this time around.

Perhaps you could however lose one or two minerals or hide them a bit, so that they don't seem so easy to get. I'm also curious what that fire piece is used for in the background of the cave. The mining cart and the lifting mechanism are absolutely marvellous ideas, the only tips I have for the improvement of those are :

1) The way which the barrier faces (yes, once again :pir_laugh2: ). If you put the brown 1x6 tile facing the other way round, it would make much more sense; and

2)The lifting mechanism looks a bit weakish... Perhaps "strengthening it up" with a few more details might work and give it a more solid feel?

The sandwich / suitcase idea is really funny, but unfortunately I don't think it's very believable... You could probably switch the suitcase for either one of these two backpacks.

Overall, I really feel you're going in the right direction with this one and are very close to perfecting it. Keep up the good work!

That mine looks great! What a fine entry into PTV. A very nice new attempt indeed.

I like the cart design. I never would have though to use crates as part of a cart. Very clever. The underground is good although I have to say I am against the use of the pre-fab rock you've used in the creation of yours. The flag and crane are nice additions although maybe the crane could be made a little smoother with some tiles and additional plates. All of those crystal are delicious. I have none and am quite envious of the number you have. The ground it a neat idea although its a little boring in my opinion. Maybe even more additional plants or soldiers would help to fix that.

Great entry and I love the rock work. :pir-skull:

VAST improvement! I have been very impressed with the MOC imrovements that have been coming up in this contest and this is no exception! Very well done and put together! I believe the scene a lot more now than I did before. The soldiers look like soldiers, the miners like miners, and I love the interior scene of the mine!

GOOD JOB!

-martinsuper

I like the use of the burps, I'm not one of those people who thinks they are <insert that tiresome argument>. It's an effective way to make big rock without using to much pieces. The only thing I'm not sure about is the use of the 1x2 gold tilse. They look slightly unnatural... You could add some gems ore something.

Even though I'm participating in the Creative Critc anymore, I need to say, that I'm very impressed with your updatede entry. It's really a huge difference, and it just shows why the Creative Critic is such a magnificent idea :pir-classic: