Sign in to follow this  
Biomech

Names of 2006 Toa Confirmed

Hey guys, I've been visiting here for a while now, and decided to finally join. :P

Anyways, since we know that there are new Toa in 2006, we've been wondering about who it was going to be, well, now we do:

The new 2006 Toa (we don't know what they will be called, as in Toa Voya or something) are going to be Jaller, Hahli, Hewkii, Nuparu, Matoro and Kongu!

We are not 100% sure about this, it was found on Brickset (see Jaller), so there is a possibility it is wrong.

Anyways, yay, new Toa. :P

(please close if not in the write area)

Let me be the first to welcome you to EB! (on a side note, we also have an introduction forum :) ).

And I just keep on wondering how TLC comes up with these names. I once read a very intersting article in my local paper which stated that they came from a language they spoke in, I believe Papua New Guinea (sp). The locals weren't too happy with that. But then again, that was about the very first line of 6 Toa. Funny how the names really did have some connection to their "element" in the Papuan language.

And I just keep on wondering how TLC comes up with these names. I once read a very intersting article in my local paper which stated that they came from a language they spoke in, I believe Papua New Guinea (sp). The locals weren't too happy with that. But then again, that was about the very first line of 6 Toa. Funny how the names really did have some connection to their "element" in the Papuan language.

Well the thing is, these new Toa were very important Matoran in the storyline before 2006, they were in the storyline since '01 I believe (most of them)... so they are not new names... just new Toa.

Maori people hacked in and ruined BZP for disrespecting their language a long time ago. In 2003, a few of these Matoran recieved name changes to fix things - Jala to Jaller, Huki to Hewkii etc. I'm thinking these new Toa may be similar to Toa Metru, but with Mata-Nui colours.

TT

I'm thinking these new Toa may be similar to Toa Metru, but with Mata-Nui colours.

TT

I doubt LEGO would use the same design again for 2006.

Bloody hell. Bloody megablocking hell. Why in the name of megablocks did they do this? I mean I actually thought that we would get a decent storyline that returned back to the roots, but instead, we get mass retconning. Holy tartar sauce. WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING LEGO?

Now, it seems like Bionicle isn't driven by a good storyline anymore, but ather by how many rehashed Toa they can sell. Everything I stood for in the past seems to have fallen.

My entire Lego Technic life has bloody megablocking lie.

[insert Darth Vader's no here.]

PS: Sorry for being so angry. It's just... This news REALLY ticks me off. They took a brilliant simple storyline and turned it into a terribly mashed together, overly intricate and uselessly complex story line. I'm not saying making it complex isn't bad. I'm saying re-writing Bionicle from some 2 year event into some saga that spands over several millenia and focussing on each little nook and crany (They have names for every single rahi that ever existed) is bad.

Ah god! Spoiler Alert! :oo

I knew I shouldn't have looked in here :P

This should be interesting nonetheless

They won't be the same design as the TM, but a similar height and with similar articulation.

TT

I like this fact.Great to see these guys active again,although Hewkii's relationship with Macku wont work now.Unless they want to be the first Toa and Matoran in love with each other.

Bloody hell. Bloody megablocking hell. Why in the name of megablocks did they do this? I mean I actually thought that we would get a decent storyline that returned back to the roots, but instead, we get mass retconning. Holy tartar sauce. WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING LEGO?

Now, it seems like Bionicle isn't driven by a good storyline anymore, but ather by how many rehashed Toa they can sell. Everything I stood for in the past seems to have fallen.

PS: Sorry for being so angry. It's just... This news REALLY ticks me off. They took a brilliant simple storyline and turned it into a terribly mashed together, overly intricate and uselessly complex story line. I'm not saying making it complex isn't bad. I'm saying re-writing Bionicle from some 2 year event into some saga that spands over several millenia and focussing on each little nook and crany (They have names for every single rahi that ever existed) is bad.

Seriously KMOI what's so bad about it.

I think it's kinda neat to see the Matoran we know from 5 years ago to turn into Toa now. Those guys have a history, and personality (at least in the Templar flash episodes) and hopefully GregF will play on those personalities when they become Toa.

It's like watching children grow up to be adults and seeing how they turned out.

I assume you know that time-line wise this is most reasonable. The events on Voya Nui follow those of Mata Nui in sequence. So it would make sense that the next generation of Toa would come from the "current" generation of Matoran.

Sure, the whole Metru Nui thing was a diversion, and I would argue that what they are doing now, in Voya Nui 2006, should have been Bionicle 2004, and we could have done without that whole Metru Nui business.

Firstly, I have NOTHING against the matoran who are listed as Toa. I always enjoyed their adventures because it truly showed that you don't have to be a Toa to be a hero. You didn't have to be some elemental sorcerer to save the day. They just used what they had and went a long way. Now? They've been turned into Toa. Now, how you think this will go over for the little people who have NEVER had powers before. There's a chance that they could be naturals at using powers, but what if they're not? Then we get a bunch of kids in overgrown bodies slinging lava and ice everywhere. Not to mention a comic completely dedicated to their training. It's like the same issue I had with Takanuva. He's great being a little dude, but as a Toa? That just completely takes away from his original achievents. I miss those little dudes waddling around all over the island.

Secondly, why am I so infuriated? When Bionicle first came out, the Toa were really special. To me, they werre like Demi-Gods sent to right a wrong. I originally thought that there were only a certain amount of Toa, as they were a species, not a phase you go through. I mean you fall out of the friggin' sky. That's what made it special. But now? Oh, you don't have to fall out of the sky. You just have to find a "Toa stone" and you're a Toa.

Also, the original 6 still have wonderful possibilities. Think about it. At the end of the Nuva saga, Takanuva stole the spotlight (not because he was a phenominal character, but because they shafted all the Toa Nuva). Did we ever have a chance to see Lewa become more mature? Did we really get to see them use their REAL powers that were only hinted at? No. We didn't.

For me, 2006 was a key year in which they could really show the Toa Nuva for who they really were. It would have been a great contrast to the first saga. They got better powers, no sissy is going to steal their powers, and they're up against a foe that's unstoppable. And they're trying to protect a world that loves the Piraka far more then them. This time around, there were no boundries. Just a full on brawl to fight for what was right. A fight to show who they really were. A fight to end all battles. Because they're Toa. It's what they do.

Instead, 2006 looks bleak. The sets may be good, but the story may lack. Lord forbid this is right, but here's how it looks like at this point. Toa Nuva vs. Piraka. Piraka beats Toa Nuva within inches of their lives. Matoran go out to find Toa stones. Matoran turn into Toa. Toa Nuva turn into Turaga. New Toa beat the living daylights out of Piraka. Makuta or similar evil entity shows up. New Toa gets beaten up. Order of Mata-Nui hold down Makuta. Jala/Jaller beats the heck out of the evil entity with conviently placed plot device.

Thirdly, I NEVER said anything about them changing the timeline. I'm saying that they're adding on to the past (Which includes several dozen Toa) without disrupting stuff they're written before.

Anyways, that's just my opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree. I know I might change my mind like I did with ExoForce. Who knows. Only time will tell, but this is my current mood.

I miss those little dudes waddling around all over the island.

Indeed. Here's some of the things that excited me when Bionicle came out in 2001:

--Mask packs with unknown contents. (masks in different colors for mocing, trans masks, the Vahi mask (which turned out to not actually be included though on the packaging) ).

--All the UV blacklight-reactive trans neon elements.

--Lewa's Japanese anime-lookin' Miru mask.

--The MUTE, HUMOROUS and CLEVER little dudes that ran around in the online flash movies, having insect-like speed and reactions.

It's not felt the same since the feel of the first Matoran (Tohunga) were all but gone from the story, replaced with the boring ones from the Mask of Light movie.

But still... if Kongu is one of the new Toa, then I hope it also means a return to the Miru mask.

It was perfection... rascally in design and insanely useful in mocs.

I musta' bought 10 or more Lewa figures just to keep getting that mask... as well as dozens (hundreds?) of mask packs to get them in different colors.

But still... if Kongu is one of the new Toa, then I hope it also means a return to the Miru mask.

I don't think that the old Miru will be used again, GregF has told use that there will be new masks for the 2006 Toa... so... yeah.

I do miss the mask packs so much though. *sigh*

Greg said there're nine new masks, six in a new texture - these Toa's, I presume. Interesting.

TT

Greg said there're nine new masks, six in a new texture - these Toa's, I presume. Interesting.

TT

I wonder how they'll be like... bumpy masks... awkward. XD

Somehow this reads like a rant I let off in a forum concerning what star wars became over the years. Hell, the expanded universe and all this bullcrap is utter torture.

I don't even feel the need to pity the poor souls who are into this golden calf's cult anymore...

As for mentioning calves: It is at this point, at the very least, pretty obvious that Bionicle has outlived itself or stands shortly before doing so. In my opinion TLC is just milking the cow now...even though the newer set designs (piraka) do have some strange appeal to them...

I can think of a lot of people that dissagree with you. GregF himself has defended the more complex storyline many times, and I agree with him. Actually, I think the storyline is better being more complex and intracite, since you can add a lot more deep twists and turns, as well as adding some interesting background and side story info.

And one more thing: You've seen this happen before. In George Lucas's famed Si-Fi movies.

Yep. In Star Wars.

So, if starwars wound up just as good or even better thanks to side story elements and background info, whats wrong with it happening to Bionicle?

Edit:

the expanded universe and all this crap is utter torture.

Ugh here we go again. Just what is wrong with starwars being more complex? I think this is all coming out of people that want things like this to stay simple. Problem is, the longer a story goes one, the more complex it gets.

Edit:
the expanded universe and all this crap is utter torture.

Ugh here we go again. Just what is wrong with starwars being more complex? I think this is all coming out of people that want things like this to stay simple. Problem is, the longer a story goes one, the more complex it gets.

I can answer that one! It's called "selling-out".

It's a double sided coin though.

For the company, it means alot more sales and longer life of the franchise.

For the initial fans, it means that the thing got geeky and no longer credible.

It happens alot in comics. You get fanboys of certain titles who grow up to become writers. Before you know it, EVERY character is (impossibly) connected to every other character and event.

Sure, the universe gets expanded, but like with Star Wars, the main characters are all herded into a glass box in the middle of that universe. Which is silly. It's an expanding universe.

Take Star Wars 3.

Yoda knew CHEWBACCA before Empire Strikes Back?

Han Solo (first draft of film, edited out) was a kid running around on Chewbacca's world?!?

Obi Wan was there when Boba Fett's dad was killed?

...like, what happened to Star Wars being a whole universe? Sounds like it's just events going on in a town.

Etc, etc... the problem people have is that these "giant" galaxies or stories are turned into teeny tiny "members-only" cocktail parties, even though MORE of the universe they're in has expanded. Once geek fanboy writers or executives with no soul realize household names = money... it's pretty much downhill from there.

It's not "simplicity" people want, it's credibility.

But like I said, it's profitable, and that's what the world runs on. Money. >__<

Would people be happier with Bionicle gone? Totally new universe using the same building system? Or would people then be bitching that the new universe is not as mysterious as the old one, or as good, or not really different?

Nothing will EVER recapture the fun and excitment of those first two years, and I think that most of the people who started with Bionicle from the beginning feel that pain. I watch those old Templar episodes and the nostalgia is overwhelming.

It doesn't mean what we have now is worthless. Nor does it mean that there is a better way to go.

I can think of a lot of people that dissagree with you. GregF himself has defended the more complex storyline many times, and I agree with him. Actually, I think the storyline is better being more complex and intracite, since you can add a lot more deep twists and turns, as well as adding some interesting background and side story info.

Did you even read my post? Here, let me clarify.

I'm not against complex storylines.

I'm against storylines that make too much of something out of nothing. Let's look at the Metru-Nui saga, shall we? We got the comics and the websodes, the regular places where we get out info. Then came the books and encyclopedias. Ok, I'm fine with this, but do we really need to know EACH INDIVIDUAL VARIATION OF A CRAB? Ok, interesting, yes. Great for Dungeons and Dragons. But complex? No. That's not complex. That's just being obsessive on details. You see, there's good complex and bad complex. Good complex (to me anyways) is makiong a storyline with ACTUAL plot twists. Like having the Toa Nuva against the Piraka. They're fighting a force when the people they're trying to protect loves the enemy far more then them. THAT'S a good twist. What's a bad twist? Repeating the same thing they've been doing over and over again. New saga? New Toa! New Molds and "articulation" for everyone! Course, the new Toa sell like crazy. Lego is happy. Kids are happy.

But it's not a plot twist. That's not a deep turn. Heck, that isn't even a deep turn. That's just greed working it's magic. People like money. It's nature. So when New Toa = Money, the story can go right out the window, because all we want are greenbacks. I mean they could have gone with the Original 6, but they wouldn't be able to produce more sets. With new Toa? They get more cash. I'm not critising human nature here. In fact, I quite like it. But seriously, they've come so far. Why waste a good storyline now?

Also, I don't care what the couple hundred thousand members at BZP say. Just because the general populus is against what I say doesn't mean I'm going to just change my opinion. I'm not fickle. Period.

@Gylman

Heck no. Bionicle gone would have some pretty tough losses for Lego. Last thing I want to see is Lego bow down to Megabloks. Bionicle can live on for all I care, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. I'm just one kid. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean that they should just scrap it. I'll just do what I usually do with lines I don't like. Ignore it. Simplest answer there is.

Wow...

Be it Bionicle, Star Wars, or Transformers, sometimes I feel as if I'm the last person left in the world who simply wants to enjoy a narritive for the ride it takes me on instead of having some misplaced sense of entitlement that the story creators must remain chained to my initial impressions and the original flow of the material.

It's times like this I'm glad I stopped pursuing careers in creative fields because it seems if you create something, and then take risks or free-form expansions away from your original story core you're roundly lambasted by the very people who claim to be devoted to the original source. It's like getting into a relationship with a woman and expecting them to never change or grow, but to just stay exactly as they were when you met them. And then when they do change, completley turning on them, becoming confrontational, and lamenting how they aren't how they used to be.

I wonder if Alexandre Dumas got a bunch of crap for putting the Three Musketeers in The Man in the Iron Mask :P