BMW

TTCE: Pancho Villa Train, Category 1 Entry

ENTERED

Ride the Pancho Villa Train and join the Mexican Revolution !

Action, adventure, and spectacle! Join general Pancho Villa and his band of Mexican revolutionaries as they mount a bold attack by rail on the fortified city of El Ciudad Guerrero . This scene was brought to life by the imagination of George Lucas in 1992 for the premiere episode of the “Young Indiana Jones Chronicles” television series. Young Indy rides with Pancho Villa’s gang alongside a hijacked train as they push a flatcar loaded with dynamite into the city’s defensive wall. Will they succeed in this brazen attack? Find out by watching the “Adventures of Young Indiana Jones” episode “Spring Break Adventure” available on DVD at your local library today!

The full Pancho Villa Train photoset on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_william...57622367315865/

Far from the polished equipment of mainline US railroads; this train is a grimy, weathered hand-me-down rusting in the Mexican desert. Construction highlights include:

- Working valve gear (although purists will note that only half the phases are supported and technically I modeled slide gear rather than the prototype’s Walschaerts)

- Ray gun suction cup for the lok bell

- Handcuffs for the lok leaf springs

- SSRS (Single Stud Radial SNOT) boiler (from my Circus Train http://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_william...57614731023767/ )

- FAUX tender trucks

- 3wide lok domes using BBB wheels

- Headlamp and firebox sparks animated using Rob Hendrix elite Jr ( http://www.lifelites.com/products/74 )

- The tender ladder whips (from Carl Greatrix Evening Star)

Note that the cheese slopes used for the journals are attached using custom clear stickers which wrap from the top, around the back of the technic plate, to the bottom. Also, I’m indebted to Will at Brickarms (www.brickarms.com) for all the period weapons (which are technically part of the passengers and not the train proper). Having said this, the official submitted contest pics below do have minor part differences from the flickr set to comply strictly with the contest rules. Specifically, the Brickarms monopods used for the lok railing supports and stock car ladders have been substituted or removed.

post-7356-1254370270.jpg

Wow! What a fantastic creation BMW. I don't know where to begin. Combining Indiana Jones and Trains; well, that's like a double outstanding positive. :thumbup::thumbup:

I absolutely love it! :wub: The details are splendid and the display a very nice way to showcase the creation. I've certainly entered this in the contest and blogged it on Classic-Town.

On a side note, these Train Tech contest entries have just been fantastic! It's so great to see so many of our finest Lego Train fans joining and/or participating in the contest.

BMW, I hope that you and the others stick around after the contest and continue to participate on Train Tech, sharing your expertise of Lego Trains and MOC building. :classic:

Wow, that is outstanding, where do I start to compliment it? :blush: There isn't really anything wrong with this train, it's just so perfect. The entire scene is just amazing! :wub: My only criticism is that there aren't enough photos. But every time I look at the ones that are in the Flickr set, I keep noticing something new, another little detail. Brilliant job with this, I'm in awe and I imagine I will be until tomorrow morning... :laugh:

Great work! :sweet:

While it is a very beautiful setting, has no one else noticed that the train could be ineligible due to being over 8 studs wide?

While it is a very beautiful setting, has no one else noticed that the train could be ineligible due to being over 8 studs wide?

The rules do permit details and cylinders to overhang so long as the basic construction is 8studs.

- BMW

The main unit is not wider than 8 studs. This entry is permitted.

congratz!! enjoy your first prize in the contest.....

this entry is soooo unreal well built, it allmost makes me cry!

I see stuff, i can believe it's Lego....

Cheers... and see you all at the next contest.

Fonz.

Yup, let's just hand over the prize and all go home...

As if the train wasn't brilliant enough the presentation delivers the knock-out punch.

congratz!! enjoy your first prize in the contest.....

Now now guys. That's not the old Train Tech spirit at all. :sad: As much as I like this entry, there are a number of other entries that stand a very fair chance. The other builders have put a lot of work into them, and we don't want to discount them just yet. Let's see what happens when we vote. Until then, let's focus our comments on the quality of this entry (what we like about it) vs. prizes or winning.

wow :oh:

not much more to say other than there is many things to steal the suspension mainly

i'll give credit.

but yeah, another awesome train from you yet raising the bar another notch :hmpf: but i could do with the challenge :sweet:

good luck

Now now guys. That's not the old Train Tech spirit at all. :sad: As much as I like this entry, there are a number of other entries that stand a very fair chance. The other builders have put a lot of work into them, and we don't want to discount them just yet. Let's see what happens when we vote. Until then, let's focus our comments on the quality of this entry (what we like about it) vs. prizes or winning.

Err... When I say "Let's hand over the prize and go home" I don't actually mean "skip the voting and give this guy the prize". What I mean is "Wow, this is awesome! No matter how good the other entries are (including my own) this one is a winner"...

This is simply amazing, words cant describe the awesomeness of this entry but legos can. :thumbup: I believe you have my vote.

A very nice train indeed. I like the way that you have displayed the train in the young Indiana Jones scene rather than focusing just on the engine details. It really brings it to life :classic: . Its a shame that you had to use non Lego parts on the boiler hand rails tho. Couldn't you find any other way to connect the hand rais without using the Brickarms monopod connectors?. Still a good moc regardless :thumbup: .

Its a shame that you had to use non Lego parts on the boiler hand rails tho. Couldn't you find any other way to connect the hand rais without using the Brickarms monopod connectors?

The train in the official submitted contest picture does indeed use 100% pure Lego elements for compliance to the contest rules. The monopods you refer to were replaced with "Bar 1L with Clip Mechanical Claw" elements. However, the expanded set of photos on Flickr uses the monopods as that version is for posterity. Please note that this difference regarding the monopods is clearly stated at the bottom of both the offical contest entry post and the Flickr picture's comments.

- Brian Williams

The train in the official submitted contest picture does indeed use 100% pure Lego elements for compliance to the contest rules. The monopods you refer to were replaced with "Bar 1L with Clip Mechanical Claw" elements. However, the expanded set of photos on Flickr uses the monopods as that version is for posterity. Please note that this difference regarding the monopods is clearly stated at the bottom of both the offical contest entry post and the Flickr picture's comments.

- Brian Williams

I wasn't accusing you of anything, I am just a good old fashioned Lego purest and it was just an observation from your flicker posts.

I do like some of the clone brand elements and modified parts but I wouldn't use them myself because its not a Lego solution.

Like I said I like the moc :thumbup: .

Dave

WONDERFUL

Action and details make this MOC amazing: i like it all!

many many :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

This is a lovely MOC. The colors are spectacular. There is just so much good about it that I'm not even sure what to say...

I especially like how you used those curved pieces on the base. It makes for a very classy display effect.

Steve

A very nice train indeed. I like the way that you have displayed the train in the young Indiana Jones scene rather than focusing just on the engine details. It really brings it to life :classic: .

This is one of the things that I like best about this and your other creations. A well executed MOC is a thing of beauty, but when it's placed in a scene -especially one with a narrative- it really brings it to life and stirs the imagination. It's the same reason that I usually find a military diorama with good quality models to be more impressive than a museum quality model on it's own.

Of course with this example you can have your cake and eat it too!

This is a superb entry. I must say I was a bit impressed by the surroundings, but also the train itself is impressive :thumbup:

btw

Isn't the entry too late to enter the contest ? Wasn't the deadline 30 september ?

Anyhow, rules are to be bended, and this one deserves it.

Edited by aawsum