Sign in to follow this  
iLego94

The Unofficial BIONICLE Story Critique Topic

I've noticed a lot of people have been critiquing the BIONICLE story, it's characters and the writing in the 2010 topic. Since this is a good discussion, but it really detracts us away from the 2010 discussion, I thought I would start a topic to focus on the story critique. So have a ball - talk about the characters, the writing and the plot - what you like - what you don't like and what you would change. :)

~iL

Well, if it's alright with you guys, I'll post what I posted in the the other topic:

I think that GregF's writing skills are pretty good. I mean, he's writing for 7-9 year old kids (Don't know the age range specifically). Besides, no one is forcing anyone to read the story. :shrugs:

Anyways, I would like to point out this quote from GregF:

Hey, topic starter has a right to his opinion -- 2009 might just not be to his taste. Thankfully, it is to others. He always has the option of moving on to something else if the line no longer meets his entertainment needs, and probably should, especially if he has not yet figured out that this IS a children's toy. We are trying to get 7-9 year olds to buy sets, not inspire in-depth philosophical conversations among high school and college students.

Some people on here act like they are being forced to endure the horror that is a BIONICLE year/story/set range they don't like ... they're not. Don't like a story? Stop reading it. Don't like sets? Then I assume you aren't buying them. This is a toy line, not a gulag, you are allowed to move on if you aren't happy with it.

Here's a reply to a post that Darth Vader made in the aformentioned 2010 topic. I was going to make it there, but since iLego started this topic, I might as well reply here. Comments by Darth Vader are in normal font, while my replies are made in bold.

I'm sorry, but there actually are concrete guidelines that one can judge an author based on. And after spending four years in college studying exactly that, I can confidently assert that Greg is a subpar writer- if he wasn't, he wouldn't be writing for LEGO. Dan Brown is also not going to win any literary awards anytime soon (any literary review of his works are always negative. He can tell a good story, but the way he tells the story is dreadful.) This is one of those moments where I'm going to assert something Bonesiii is fond of saying. You can have your preferences, but your opinions need to be grounded in reality and logic. According to most literary conventions (even for children sci-fi books), Greg does not pass the test. This isn't completely subjective. Very little in life truly is.

Funny you quoted Bones on this, because for years he has also been one of the forefront defenders of the Bionicle storyline since Greg started writing much of it. So, according to your standards, you just used a quote of someone that you think is wrong as a supporting point for your views of why I'm wrong. And besides, whenever Bones talks about logic, he always uses it when judging things that are more factual or morally related (such as the debate in whether looking at leaked images is wrong). Whenever there's been debates on BZP about things like whether killing off Zaktan was a good idea or whether Gali Mistika is a good set, he's constantly reminded people that their opinions on these things are neither right or wrong and thus need to be respected equally. In other words, these things are subjective, and are based on taste rather than actual fact.

Which, IMO, is the best way a Bionicle fan should judge the storyline. Instead of listening to stuffy college literary critics or more detailed expositions of why Greg's writing is supposedly bad, I'd rather evaluate the quality of the storyline on whether I'm enjoying it or not. Since I've enjoyed the storyline of all nine years, I can say that in my personal tastes, Greg is a good writer. Now, of course, some people would outcry at this statement, as using this logic, people could argue that the writer of the Twilight series is a good writer as well, as there are plenty of people (all of which who are teenage girls) who like her writing. To a professonal writing critic, her writing almost certainly be bad, but why should that stop teenage girls from enjoying the series?

Look, I'm not arguing that we should just let anyone pass off their writing as grade A material. However, sometimes it really feels like people here just complain too much about the storyline and simply won't let themselves enjoy any of it, simply because they've taken enough college classes that it's impossible for them to enjoy anything that according to their teacher's guidelines is substandard. Honestly, if you go by those extremely stingy guidelines, Bionicle most certainly has never been high on the list of good storylines and great writing, which is why I get fed up when people act like 2001 is the most ultimate science fiction tribal fusion storyline ever and Bob Thompson is god. Bionicle is, simply put, a kids toy. It always has and always will be, and the storyline has always been written solely to advertise toys and other merchandise. So has the storyline of Starwars - and yet that massive sci-fi universe has been loved by millions of fans ever since the 1970's. And, although the original three starwars movies are always acknowledged as superior to the prequels in nearly every respect, when they came out they were also met with criticism by art critics as being substandard to many of the artsy pictures that came before. That didn't stop people from enjoying them though - because most everybody went into the theater because they wanted to watch a cool story about Jedi Knights, spaceships, and epic evil lords in black masks - not because they wanted to critique every part of the movie from a professional critic's picky viewpoint.

And even if you do go into movies or books with that viewpoint, there's still a large amount of subjectiveness in the process. The Lord of the Rings is an excellent example of this - whille it's been loved by readers for decades as an epic and extremely enjoyable fantasty story, there's also been quite a lot of disagreement on it's literary value. While it certainly has gotten it's fair share of praise, there have also been critics who have claimed it was nothing more than fluff with no real high purpose. One person, who wrote an essay called "Epic Pooh," claimed that it was substandard compared to the fantasy works of other writers because it supposedly failed to challenge readers, and was instead just a comfy story meant to entertain.

This is why such debates are pointless in my view. As long as this word is around, there will always be disagreements among people as to whether the writing of any author is good or not. And, because everyone's standards are different, there's no way to really gauge whether writing is truly good or not overall. Many people praise H. P. Lovecraft's writing as revolutionary and incredibly dark and disturbing, but those are the very reasons why I probably will never read any of his work. I would much rather read the simpler but more positive story of Bionicle, which, while not good in your eyes, is preferable to me than reading an utterly miserable book which's ultimate and defining message is that life is meaningless. Yes, I may be staying in my comfy circle of enjoyment, but that's the exact reason why I read fiction in the first place - because I want to escape from the real world and enjoy something that doesn't make me want to question my will to live my life in peace. I'm honestly glad I'm not a professional writing critic, because I really don't know if I would ever be able to enjoy anything that I do currently again, all because what I read the most is supposedly substandard when you analyze it deeply.

Most of the violence and deaths Greg has thrown into the story as he's been given more control have been unnecessary and over the top. Last year's serials were basically just a springboard for Greg's desire to kill whomever he felt like, in whatever manner he felt was fun. I read a lot, and can almost guarantee I read far more than the rest of you do (I was a literature major for four years, after all), and violence, as an established part of the human experience, has an important part in our literature. If you can't see the difference between violence and deaths for the hell of it (like what Greg has instituted in these books [or in his published science fiction novels, which are far worse in this regard]), and violence and death that serves a purpose and functions within the story in a believable and purposeful way, then there's not a lot I can do to help you out.

I can't really agree with this at all, seeing as that this was not what I remember most when I look back on 2008's serials. Oh sure, the deaths of beings like Ancient and Zaktan are not fogotten, but the real standouts of those serials were things like the awesome feud between Mazeka and Vultraz, a detailed look at the history of the Brotherhood of Makuta, the return of the Toa Hagah and the revalations of their powers, seeing Brutaka and Axonn work together in the storyline for the first time, and all the hints to Makuta's Plan and 2009's storyline. Pushing off the serials as nothing more than a "springboard for death" seems unreasonable to me when the vast majority of time was spent writing about things like the plot points I mentioned. And again, who is to say that the deaths we did see weren't believeable and purposeful in the context of the storyline? If we saw three characters die each chapter, and we saw them die in exceedingly gory ways, then I might be worried, but we didn't even come close to that. And once again we are dealing with subjective matter, because for every person who argues that a death in a certain book is pointless and unecessary, there's another who would say that it added to the experience and helped deepen that or other characters in their minds.

Seriously, Darth Vader, we can argue all we want about whether Greg's writing is good or not, whether this or that character should die, etc, but in the end it all comes down to personal taste and enjoyment. Oh sure, we can argue about whether a certain person's taste is good as well, but is that really necessary? Why can't you just let people enjoy the Bionicle storyline for what it is to them rather than constantly bashing Greg and acting like your opinions are more qualified than the rest of ours? Is it really too hard for you to respect other people's opinions and to not be so assertive about absolutely everything you say?

And as there's speculation that 2010 may be the end of BIONICLE, or the end of this saga, or whatever, I feel this is a perfect place to say that if either are true, I sincerely hope we move on without Greg involved in writing outside of the Magazine.

Well, I'm sorry you feel this way, and I'm sorry you haven't enjoyed the storyline in any other form besides the "ultimate adventure of ultimate awesomeness MNOG" ended, since that was about the only thing that Greg hasn't been involved in besides C. A. Hapka's books and the first three movies - neither of which you probably like either.

Edited by Grevious

Well I for one adore cliches. And, most of the people on this site seem to as well. How do I know this you ask? 2 words, 1 franchise: Star Wars. If you enjoy Star Wars, then you probably like the cliche characters, in their unique setting Lucas casts them in. Who cares what is a cliche? Was King Arthur a cliche when he was invented? Just because BIONICLE features the archetypal hero characters, doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Oh - and the layout for the story for the past few years is a little irksome for me, 2007 in particular. It just seemed like the story had so much going for it, until the heroes showed up and blew away all the villains.

~iL

That's not 100% true, Grevious, DV enjoyed the Bohrok animations too...

...and that's it.

I never really understand the people who are obsessed with nostalgia. Yeah, nostalgia's nice and everything, but hey, do you still want Bionicle to be a story about a group of robots fighting animals? 'Cuz that would've killed it had it kept going in that direction.

One of the main reasons 06 was my favorite year was because we had a group of cooperating villains with personalities. Despite the constant back-stabbing, treachery, etc., they sticked together, even if it was just for one mission, and that IMO, made them completely new and fresh to the storyline at the time. (Then came the Barraki, which were just Piraka in different bodies and underwater.) That, and the VNOLG, which beat the crap out of the MNOG (Let's face it folks, VNOLG is a Nintendo-Level RPG. MNOG was just clicking through cool animations.)

I haven't enjoyed the storyline since 2006. I've tried to enjoy and accept the later years, but it was much harder and lacking results. It's not that I'm rejecting them, I'd just been spoiled in 2006.

And no, I don't care enough to be nostalgic about 06. Aren't the Piraka/Inika bodies enough?

Oh dear god no. If we start talking about Star Wars we'll never get back on topic which kind of defeats the purpose of this thread :tongue:.

Just to clarify, I heard the claim made that characters were "drastically altered" after Greg took over as story head. I'm interested to know who which characters in particular we're talking about here. I can't think of anything worse than what the first 3 movies did to Lewa or Sidorak (or why the previous head of the story team didn't say no to Lewa's treespeak)

MNOG was just clicking through cool animations.

I think that's why people loved it. It wasn't that the game was ground breaking or anything... you could hardly even call it a game... but it just looked so nice. Most people (myself included) adore the style of the MNOLG. The style of the flash animations of yesteryear (=P) very much impressed upon me. THAT was Bionicle. This is too, but that was, IMO, the fundamental Bionicle.

Whether or not the story was the best back then or not is up to debate. I am inclined to say no. Problem is, later years that had better plot didn't have the flash animations or the absolutely amazing comic art. =P

~Bunda

Here's a reply to a post that Darth Vader made in the aformentioned 2010 topic. I was going to make it there, but since iLego started this topic, I might as well reply here. Comments by Darth Vader are in normal font, while my replies are made in bold.
College ruins enjoyment and knowledge is dumb, if I enjoy something then it is super awesome, and you suck for saying otherwise.

(I apologize for the humorous paraphrase of your long reply. I'm trying to keep this post as short as possible.)

First things first. The story itself is bigger than Greg's involvement. I do not enjoy Greg's writing, or most of the content we know comes directly from him.

Second, I enjoy lots of subpar writing. My favourite fictional books to unwind into are Star Wars novels. There is very little literary merit to these.

Third, only those who have not attended college would call collegiate studies 'stuffy'. You do realize it is college graduates, nine times out of ten, that create that which moves society forward? While I don't think it's for everyone, the continual pursuit of education and knowledge is one of the most important things one can do to better oneself. The 'stuffy old college' is a boring and tired cliche. Lose it.

It is completely possible to enjoy something that is terrible. And you should feel free to do exactly that. I don't just read to analyze books and authors, I read because I enjoy it. My knowledge of conventions, styles, traditions, etc, are not going to mar my ability to garnish enjoyment from something that is technically failing. What I'm arguing isn't that the story itself sucks. But that Greg's writing abilities continually bring the story itself down with his cliched characterizations, lack of descriptive abilities, and juvenile sense of violence. There's a reason that most comic book writers don't write novels. It's a different field, and it takes a different type of author. Greg's abilities are far more suited for writing comic books, like he did at first. A medium where someone else puts the details and importance down, and he just has to add minimal exposition and dialogue.

(And I don't enjoy dark and depressing stories where the point is 'life is meaningless' either.)

As for Bonesiii, I simply brought that up because as Bonesiii has said, don't let your personal preferences decide for you something that is contrary to logic. As I said, there are solid and set determinators for what makes a good author. Greg doesn't meet them. Logically, Greg is not a good author. But your personal preferences allow you to enjoy what he has written. I like Bonesiii, and I think he makes good points. I don't think he really allows himself to keep his personal preferences from influencing his thoughts a lot of the times, though. So naturally him and I disagree, and have done so publicly for a very long time. It is perfectly fine for me to take the claims of someone I disagree with and use them to support my stance.

Well I for one adore cliches. And, most of the people on this site seem to as well. How do I know this you ask? 2 words, 1 franchise: Star Wars. If you enjoy Star Wars, then you probably like the cliche characters, in their unique setting Lucas casts them in. Who cares what is a cliche? Was King Arthur a cliche when he was invented? Just because BIONICLE features the archetypal hero characters, doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Oh - and the layout for the story for the past few years is a little irksome for me, 2007 in particular. It just seemed like the story had so much going for it, until the heroes showed up and blew away all the villains.

It is terribly difficult to break archetypal characterizations in writing. Especially in science fiction, even moreso in fantasy. It often then becomes a task of using them well. But Greg doesn't really rely on archetypes or cliches. He relies specifically on the same ten characterization methods over and over. Troubled loner who has to learn to get along with everyone? Kopaka, Nuju, Matoro, even Iruini. Brash hothead who is somehow, despite their inability to lead effectively, the leader? Tahu, a watered-down version in Vakama, etc. The list goes on. But not past ~ten.

I never really understand the people who are obsessed with nostalgia. Yeah, nostalgia's nice and everything, but hey, do you still want Bionicle to be a story about a group of robots fighting animals? 'Cuz that would've killed it had it kept going in that direction.

It is not a matter of nostalgia. I enjoyed 2001 more than any other year because it was the first year, and I feel it is still the only year that was immersive and populated with characters. The setting and conflicts should definitely have changed. A real story has to have change to properly develop.

That, and the VNOLG, which beat the crap out of the MNOG (Let's face it folks, VNOLG is a Nintendo-Level RPG. MNOG was just clicking through cool animations.)

VNOG was a boring traditional RPG (you nailed it there, "Nintendo-evel RPG"). I'm not interested in collecting ten piles of this rock for that character, before I can move onto the next character who's going to need fifteen nuggets of that mineral to do this, etc. That's boring for someone who likes stories. MNOG was cool not because it was a good game or had great gameplay. It was great because it offered an inside-look at the entire world and its denizens. It was great because until the end, it was a side-story that informed the main story. It told you who these villagers were, what they were in relation to one another, that they each had different plans and ideas, etc. Sure, it wasn't innovative or ground-breaking. But it set the scene, and made the world come alive. That is why VNOG wasn't good. And even why MNOG2 wasn't very good.

I think that's why people loved it. It wasn't that the game was ground breaking or anything... you could hardly even call it a game... but it just looked so nice. Most people (myself included) adore the style of the MNOLG. The style of the flash animations of yesteryear (=P) very much impressed upon me. THAT was Bionicle. This is too, but that was, IMO, the fundamental Bionicle.

Whether or not the story was the best back then or not is up to debate. I am inclined to say no. Problem is, later years that had better plot didn't have the flash animations or the absolutely amazing comic art. =P

~Bunda

Yeah, I know right? If they really want to please the fans, scrap all the movies, and make dirt cheap flash games :D

~iL

Yeah, I know right? If they really want to please the fans, scrap all the movies, and make dirt cheap flash games :D

~iL

Absolutely, especially when one considers how dreadful the BIONICLE movies have been, and how they tie the other story outlets hands from doing anything exciting.

Absolutely, especially when one considers how dreadful the BIONICLE movies have been, and how they tie the other story outlets hands from doing anything exciting.

And, they mess up the flow of the story, the plot of 2004 and 2005 is such a screwy mess it's not even funny.

~iL

DV, I agree completely (though I am an English/Secondary Education major, so I'm not sure that I bring an extremely different point of view). 2001 was my favorite year, as well, because it was so immersive. I have always seen the MNOG as one of the crowning achievements of Bionicle, for the exact same reasons. I didn't feel that I was simply watching or reading a heroic story; rather, I was an inhabitant of this fantastical island, going about everyday life, meeting people who were completely unimportant to the main story, and sometimes witnessing a Toa's heroic acts.

I also liked the feel of robotic beings on a natural island; the blend of the "mystical and the mechanical" reminded me a lot of Peter Gabriel's music.

(I apologize for the humorous paraphrase of your long reply. I'm trying to keep this post as short as possible.)

I'm sorry, but I can't accept your apology when it's obvious you don't care about other people's opinions when they are different than yours. None of what was in your unpolite and extremely faulty paraphrase of my post is actually what I said, and you've demonstrated that you don't care about spending time making a comprehensive and logical response to what I said. I never said you sucked for disagreeing with me - in fact I never even said that bionicle is super awesome just because I liked it. The point of my post was foremost to illustrate that the quality of literature and every other form of media is subjective and dependent mainly on personal taste, and you completely twisted my words and mistook what I said. I also did not say that college is stupid and knowledge is dumb - however, I find that it's silly to gauge the latter solely on the former. There are plenty of college courses in the world that are excellent and useful, but just because someone has a degree and another person doesn't does not mean that the first person is smarter than the second. Finally, you claim that Bones allows his personal feelings to influence his opinions, and you act as if that's a bad thing. Fact is, everyone is influenced by their personal tastes somewhat - there is no such thing as total objectivity, nor is there a single person in the world who is utterly non-biased in every respect. The reality of being human is that, even if we can not tell that we are being influenced by our opinions on things, they still have an affect on the way we act and the way we view the world around us. This goes doubly for entertainment and literature, which as I said is only as valuable as each individual person makes it out to be.

And honestly, this whole claim of "chiched characters" is silly, because in reality there are only so many different types of characters that you can invent. Most characters in literature and other forms of media fall into one of several different basic types, and all of them are influenced by the realities of human personality and diversity. You see noble and heroic Toa in the Bionicle storyline because that is simply what heroes act like, not because they are "cliched" and overused. Similarly, pretty much every single villian in the history of literature and media can be fitted into one of seven different basic types, all which are based upon their motives. Since there can only be so many reasons why a villian can be evil, the true character has to come from their realtionships with other beings and the history of their live - not their ultimate goal of their evil schemes. One person in the other topic made mention to how the bionicle character personalities sound like a list of topics on Tvtropes - and this is not suprising in the least. However, just because something makes it onto TVtropes doesn't mean that it's overused or cliched - and even if it is cliched, it doesn't mean that the value of that particular character type is wasted. The reason why certain character types have been used for so long is because they work well in the context of a story and can provide many different variations within the general type - not necesairly because people have no imagination. Most of the Toa in the Bionicle storyline are similar in their overall goal in life, but their reasons and their actions have varried from the self-absorbed to the reluctantly leading to the cold and efficient. The gauge of whether a character is interesting and enjoyable for me has never been whether their general personality has been used many times before, but how they interact with the other characters and how they change or remain the same as they go through life.

But really, this is all pretty pointless of me to be saying this, as there's no point in even trying to have a reasonable and respectful conversation with you, Vader. Needless to say, I'm utterly fed up with the way you've been treating those who like Bionicle and have explained to you why they do, and I don't expect I'll be spending much more time discussing the storyline on Eurobricks any longer. Discussing the the storyline in this forum has always been extremely hard, and the same few members are continuing to fan the flames of disrespect that make it utterly unpleasent to talk about Bionicle here. If people would simply learn to respect other people's posts and analyze them carefully and with a friendlier tone, then discussion here would be comparable to the discussion in the rest of Eurobricks, but I'm afraid I just don't see this happening in the near future.

And that's sad, because this constant wave of disrespect revolves solely around a kid's toy and it's storyline. It's no wonder that people in the world can't seem to debate important issues like healthcare and global warming respectfully - how can they, when they can't even show respect when talking about trivial things like entertainment?

Edited by Grevious

Needless to say, I'm utterly fed up with the way you've been treating those who like Bionicle and have explained to you why they do,

So ok.

DV knows I love the collectibles. I told him this and thats why I like Bionicle. AND YOU KNOW WHAT. He treats me awesomely, even to the point of giving me one of his rare prototypes. I know Darth Vader personally as a friend, and we disagree on a lot of things that can drive a wedge between friendships. But we respect each others morals and ways of life. However according to you, him treating people like that disgusts you. Shame.

DV has been kind enough to even give you an explanation from a realistic and logical point of view, not a one sided bias opinion, and all you do is throw it in his face.

how can they, when they can't even show respect when talking about trivial things like entertainment?

Just so you know, but you qualify as one of those people. If you want respect, you have to learn to give it as well.

-Omi

Edited by Omicron

So ok.

DV knows I love the collectibles. I told him this and thats why I like Bionicle. AND YOU KNOW WHAT. He treats me awesomely, even to the point of giving me one of his rare prototypes. I know Darth Vader personally as a friend, and we disagree on a lot of things that can drive a wedge between friendships. But we respect each others morals and ways of life. However according to you, him treating people like that disgusts you. Shame.

Being nice with you and BIONICLE collectibles doesn't mean he's being nice with many others and the BIONICLE storyline.

However, all Darth Vader has done is describe his opinion about the story, albeit with a few unnecessary acusations. His opinion, which differs to others. Don't bash him because he's sharing his thoughts, because two different opinions make a better discussion, which is the idea right?

Being nice with you and BIONICLE collectibles doesn't mean he's being nice with many others and the BIONICLE storyline.

No no.

Grevious said Bionicle and just Bionicle. No where did he say "Storyline" or "Sets". I like Bionicle for the collectibles, and I am treated nicely by DV because thats why I like Bionicle. If you wanna call semantics on it, go right ahead, but this is what is being said. And DV is nice to those about storyline. You are just placing a misconcepted stereotype is all.

However, all Darth Vader has done is describe his opinion about the story, albeit with a few unnecessary acusations. His opinion, which differs to others. Don't bash him because he's sharing his thoughts, because two different opinions make a better discussion, which is the idea right?

Exactly. Not everyone has to agree with you, or me, or DV or Grevious. And you shouldn't be pissed about it either.

-Omi

is funny that actually some of you could be criticing Greg by "his" work. Greg just does do the books with the info that the Story Team give to him. And far i know. we don't know ANYONE of the Story team. just Bob Thompson (who left in 2006).

The point is..we can't critique something what was make for kids of 10 years or more years. the Books and the "Story" are just for those fans that have more interest on it than the sets.

so. If they have a story. and you like it. they know YOU will buy the sets.

Even if the sells to people that doesn't even know what's BIONICLE and just think they are another toy in a Simple toy store are becomin more important these days.

They could even give us a story with no sets released of it and we could maybe like it. why? because it's BIONICLE. something we like.

Indcredible how somethimes a simple topic can trivialize so much.

is funny that actually some of you could be criticing Greg by "his" work. Greg just does do the books with the info that the Story Team give to him. And far i know. we don't know ANYONE of the Story team.

News flash: Greg is part of the story team.

-Omi

No no.

Grevious said Bionicle and just Bionicle. No where did he say "Storyline" or "Sets". I like Bionicle for the collectibles, and I am treated nicely by DV because thats why I like Bionicle. If you wanna call semantics on it, go right ahead, but this is what is being said. And DV is nice to those about storyline. You are just placing a misconcepted stereotype is all.

Exactly. Not everyone has to agree with you, or me, or DV or Grevious. And you shouldn't be pissed about it either.

-Omi

Well you are being semantic about it. You know what Grevious meant, so pulling his statement out of context to change how you can interpret it is a pointless path.

And I'm not, as long as it's just healthy discussion. Helps knock out my misconceptions. :classic:

@ Antrozek, Although he's not solely responsible for many of the major storyline elements that we disagree with, Greg's the main guy who has his name on the books.

Edited by 3D Brickthing

Well you are being semantic about it. You know what Grevious meant, so pulling his statement out of context to change how you can interpret it is a pointless path.

Actually I wasn't. When you say Bionicle, you are talking about the whole thing. Learn to be specific.

-Omi