Sign in to follow this  
simonwillems

Chevrolet Impala 1959

About ten years ago I built a lot of 12-wide american classic cars, most of them based on the Ultimate Legobook, like this '57 chevy.

Most of these MOC's are long gone, but I held on to two of them, the ones I was most pleased with. One being the above mentioned Chevrolet Bel Air and the second one being my red Chevrolet Impala.

Ten years ago (wow, some EB-members hadn't even been born back then!) I made the coupe version that looked like this:

original001.jpg

Only recently I decided to redo it a bit, taking of the roof and redo the interior, the result is this cabrio version:

impala000.jpg

impala005.jpg

impala004.jpg

Even signs of a leopard skin in the back seats.... Such a pity that Lego never released a 1x3 tile with safari print :sad: I'm not sure if I like the print on the back seats though.

For comparision a picture of a real Impala

241080-be8a3485c025cd2038d3ce3926b93b79.jpg

Tell me what you think. Questions and comments are most welcome!

:classic:

I love the cars from the Ultimate LEGO book. They were a large source of inspiration for many of mine. I know your Impala sedan and the Bel Air from your brickshelf folder and am glad you hung on to them. They are very nice models. By turning it into a convertible you've only made it nicer. The interior is very nicely done and the tiger pattern gives it just the right amount of cheeziness [wink]. I do have a suggestion: since the sides of the passenger compartment are two studs thick you have some space to add interior panels on the doors as well. That would probably look nicer than seeing just red.

Cheers,

Ralph

How did I miss this beauty!

Great shape and curves. I would also suggest to improve the inner side of the doors, It would certainly improve interior view much better!

Thanks for the replies!

I never thought of adding interior to the sides of the doors as well, but it seems like a nice idea.

It'll be quite strange taking something apart that was constructed so long ago that I completely forgot how the inside looks and what parts I used.... :classic:

I'll give it a try soon!

Edited by simonwillems