Theme: Pirates

Year: 2009

Pieces: 36

Minifigs: 2

Price: $5.99 USD

Resources

BrickLink BrickShelf BrickSet Peeron

Arggghh, who be a land lubber? :pir-classic:

I be presenting the Cannon Battle, mates!

6239-1.jpg

Section 1: Instructions

pirate002.jpg

Here is the instruction booklet. Now this is a surprise the instruction is crumpled (as usual). Obviously do not put LEGO parts in your mouth as they can be a choking hazard. Either that you will swallow it and well recovering that part isn't much fun :tongue:

pirate003.jpg

Random Instruction Page. However this one isn't chosen at random. No ways! A shooting Cannon in a US set!! :grin: This page is really cool as it shows how to operate that cannon. Simply load the cannon ball, then pull back and watch it fly. Oh and with LEGO, safety first of course! Never shoot yourself in the eye, because there is no crying allowed in LEGO! :wink:

Section 2: Figs and Accessories

pirate001.jpg

Here is the first fig. A Imperial Guard? Imperial Soldier? Bah same thing :tongue: Now a wonderful part is the shako with print on it :wub: This fig is really awesome! I love the torso design and epaulets. Now there is some discrepancy from the instructions to what the fig actually looks like. Can you spot it?

pirate004.jpg

Not only front torso print, we have back torso print too! The little purse he was on is carrying ammo and maybe some gold pieces and a important letter or two. Ok, just about anything you want to be in it :grin:

pirate005.jpg

Comparison shot, 1989-2009. 20 years later. I love both torsos! Confession time, that shako the new soldier has on is the only one I have owned. Hey none were in the Caribbean Clipper :blush: The 1989 guard has a classic grin and the 2009 guard has a more detailed face, he hasn't shaven. Thats right! In the wild jungles of the Caribbean, you have to rough it. Either that or the Admiral isn't real strict :laugh:

bandana001.jpg

Here is the pirate fig. I love the dark green bandanna :wub: He has a more advanced classic stripe pattern than the original pirates. I think LEGO has done a good job on all of the pirate figs this year.

pirates002.jpg

The back of the Pirate! He has the shoulder belt design and the illusion that his shirt is baggy or he has to lay off all the turkey drumsticks :grin:

pirates003.jpg

1989-2009 Comparison Shot. Here is the old and new shot. I like both of them very much. The only change is the detail in the newer pirate and color difference.

he2.jpg

The accessories are great! We have 2 swords, 1 was an extra part too! The blunderbuss rifle, the treasure map which they are fighting for and the torch. The torch is really cool because it has the new flame piece and the spy glass part :wub:

Section 3: The Model

pirate007.jpg

Random break apart rock wall. This is odd why is there a gold part on top? :wacko: I figured a way to explain it later on in the review

The tree parts are cool and give it the foliage appearance. However I doubt this would be on the beach like the box art depicts. Also it is very weak on its on, since no studs connect the break apart section. The main purpose is for playability as the cannon shoots it and it breaks apart.

pirate008.jpg

Yeah! The actual shooting cannon in a US set!! :laugh: The cannon cart is very well designed. The king has placed a tax on the ammo thus the soldier only has two shots to break apart the wall. If he misses......well lets just say that won't happen :grin: Soldiers again are tough here because they have to push this heavy cannon around! Good thing it has wheels. Not 4WD wheels, don't go 4 wheeling!

pirate009.jpg

Our final 1989-2009 comparison shot. How did I get the shooting cannon if I lived in the US? Pirate secret hehe! Not much has changed here. The colors are different from the classic grey to this new metallic darker grey. Oh and the dust build up of course :wink:

Section 4: Everything together/playtime/wrap up

pirates0010.jpg

The complete set in action! A shooting cannon is no match for a blunderbuss rifle! However the rock formation the pirate chose to hide behind wasn't such a good idea........

pirates0011.jpg

:kahuka::pir-laugh: :pir-laugh:

It seems our poor Pirate has violated a sacred islander shrine! That explains why there is a carved piece of gold on top. Duh!?

King Kahuka who is known for his interesting range of headgear also has a new addition to his collection :grin:

Review Wrap Up

Playability: 8/10 (Shooting Cannon! Not much more to say!)

Design: 7/10 (The cannon is awesome, but the rock wall needs some work)

Price: 10/10 (excellent price for everything you get!)

Parts: 9/10 (new parts and just about everything you need for a pirate set, except maybe a parrot)

Minifigure: 10/10 (1 awesome pirate and 1 awesome soldier, good things come in pairs hehe)

Overall: 9/10 (Must buy for anyone! Especially the pirate fan! Whether you want the parts or the set)

Pirates is back in 2009. The Line has been very good and has had loads of new parts we can use with our old pirate sets. In addition we got some new figs to use. This set is very cheap for the items you get. The shooting cannon is really great and now anybody can have one with out needing to buy the fort or the ship. However the only downside is that rock wall. Which is really bad, it is ugly and doesn't hold together which could have been improved with 1 stud being connected. The saving fact is that you can shoot a cannon ball at it and it will break into smaller parts. Buy this if you haven't already!

:shark:

Edited by Macoco

Nice review! I've added it to the index. :pir-classic:

This is one of my favorite Pirate sets, especially as a parts pack. I have 16 of them actually. :pir-blush:

Great review!

My favorite set. I have over 100...just bought 15 more the other day...stocking up on figs and cannons while I still can

Great review!

My favorite set. I have over 100...just bought 15 more the other day...stocking up on figs and cannons while I still can

:pir-oh3::pir-oh3:

WOW, that's over $600 in 2 fig sets. wow

Nice review Macoco! Love this set very much, as it really represent the best way to acquire a cannon, pirate and imperial solider. Nice set to play with, plus tons of useful parts. :pir-wink:

WOW, that's over $600 in 2 fig sets. wow

Trust me, you haven't seen mine yet. :pir-blush:

A very nice review of such a small set.

I bought only one.

I don't really like to have so much sets of the same sort. :pir-sceptic:

Now there is some discrepancy from the instructions to what the fig actually looks like. Can you spot it?

Of course i can spot it!

The heads of the pirate and the imperial are switched.

A very nice review of such a small set.

I bought only one.

I don't really like to have so much sets of the same sort. :pir-sceptic:

Of course i can spot it!

The heads of the pirate and the imperial are switched.

Actually, that's debatable. The box art shows it one way, and the instructions (at least my copy) shows it the way he's got in in the review. I like the way he's got it better... makes the soldier look more like the classic version...

Great set, the real army builder of Pirates 2009 (I got 2 for €4.40 each). Funny little story to go with it, thanks for the review.