Have you seen the old man

In the closed-down market

Kicking up the paper,

with his worn out shoes?

In his eyes you see no pride

And held loosely at his side

Yesterday's paper telling yesterday's news

So how can you tell me you're lonely,

And say for you that the sun don't shine?

Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of London

I'll show you something to make you change your mind

1inthecloseddownmarket1.jpg

Have you seen the old girl

Who walks the streets of London

Dirt in her hair and her clothes in rags?

She's no time for talking,

She just keeps right on walking

Carrying her home in two carrier bags

2haveyouseentheoldgirl1.jpg

In the all night cafe

At a quarter past eleven,

Same old man is sitting there on his own

Looking at the world

Over the rim of his tea-cup,

Each tea last an hour

Then he wanders home alone

3intheallnightcafe3.jpg

And have you seen the old man

Outside the seaman's mission

Memory fading with

The medal ribbons that he wears.

In our winter city,

The rain cries a little pity

For one more forgotten hero

And a world that doesn't care

4outsidetheseamansmission1.jpg

1inthecloseddownmarket2.jpg

1inthecloseddownmarket3.jpg

1inthecloseddownmarket4.jpg

3intheallnightcafe1.jpg

3intheallnightcafe2.jpg

4outsidetheseamansmission2.jpg

Wow.

This is great! The actual MOC is fantastic, and it sends a good message as well.

I like the mop in the cafe! :classic:

-darthperson

Really well done SlyOwl. The MOC to go along with the song went along really well.

Your building techniques are amazing as usual. I really liked the woman's bags and mop made form the hair piece :thumbup:.

Beautiful!

The song is always in my playlist and while I am typing this it is playing softly in my room.

Thank you :thumbup:

Brings a tear to my eye, this one. Actually to both of us Otters here... so moving. It's not the wonderful MOC or your clever techniques, Sly Mate... It's just the feeling that this one oozes :cry_sad:

Speaking for both of us, I can honestly say this is the single most moving piece of LEGO art we have seen to date.

Great idea... lyrics illustrated with Lego!

.... and a great build! You really captured the atmosphere of the song/lyrics.

You paint a very bleak picture. The moodiness of it all is wonderfully captured and the idea to base a MOC no a song in inspired.

Cheers,

Ralph

Really nice moc with some great small detailing and a nice use of the chrome vader helmet and the long hair on that picture!

That's an amazing MOC, SlyOwl! :oh:

I really :wub: it!

The architecture of the house as well as all the accessory and additional stuff you added looks all very realistic! :oh:

I mainly like the cup of coffee the old man has in front of him on the table and the vending machine.

Very, very well done! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Btw: How did you build the vending machine? Could you please show us a detailed picture of it? That would be really nice. :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

Awsome! That's exactely what I try to make with my "african" MOC's: show another side of our lifes.

Very original and nicely builded, it points a great problem of our society, I agree, I applaud!

Congratulations. :thumbup:

Beautiful, just beautiful! :cry_happy::thumbup:

I'm really impressed and inspired by this MOC of yours, SlyOwl. Very touching + a bunch of amazing techniques.

Building MOCs from lyrics is a great idea and I bet there will be some more now when you have "cleared the way" :wink:

Thanks for showing us this masterpiece!

Story, details, techniques - all combined make a great MOC. Plus you have added light to issues that people usually are too comfortable to deal with. Thanks for the MOC and reminder of all the misery that surrounds us and dwells in us.

I'm a big fan of your work, SlyOwl, and I allways keep a shot or two in my gallery but as a City lover I must say this is one of your best works :thumbup: Not only you perfectly illustrate the song but the amount and the quality of all the details is just pricelss. BRAVO! :cry_happy:

This is superb. Absolutley splendid.

I really like the MOC - and is it just me, or does old grey really remind you of tarmac in the rain?

A far better colour than the newer shade of grey.

Fantastic work.

Love the use of the adventurer's head for the woman too; that was my favourite head as a kid.

Will/Rocketbilly

Great job SlyOwl! Beautiful use of some parts - the teacup, the mop... The whole MOC is very pleasing to the eye, and once again you have given yourself the name of one of the best MOCers out there. Brilliant job again Sly, keep up the fantastic work. :classic::thumbup:

Amazing piece of town moc! It's great to see you doing something of this theme. Never knew that songs are able to inspire you and relate them into creations. There are so many fine details that can be found in this moc. :wub:

Just to let you know that Streets of London has been featured in Classic-Town.net. :wink:

This one is absolutely beautiful with a lot of nice details. Good job! :thumbup:

Now I don't frequent this part of EB very much, but when I saw the title of this MOC, I just had to come.

You've captured the mood of the songs perfectly and I'm more or less speechless at this point.

Great work.

Thanks for sharing... now excuse me while I go donate some money to the homeless. :blush:

Amazing MOC SlyOwl. You've really captured the spirit of the song. The old woman looks so mean! And that's a very nice bucket. For any "Big Train" fans out there...Streets of London!!

Thanks for the comments all!

Brings a tear to my eye, this one. Actually to both of us Otters here... so moving. It's not the wonderful MOC or your clever techniques, Sly Mate... It's just the feeling that this one oozes :cry_sad:

Speaking for both of us, I can honestly say this is the single most moving piece of LEGO art we have seen to date.

Thanks, Otters :blush: It's my most emotional MOC to date.

Btw: How did you build the vending machine? Could you please show us a detailed picture of it? That would be really nice. :classic:

It's a bit cheeky really. The section with the glass is actually attached to the wall behind it, and the 1x2 tile wedges in the gap, quite firmly.

vending.jpg

Awsome! That's exactely what I try to make with my "african" MOC's: show another side of our lifes.

Very original and nicely builded, it points a great problem of our society, I agree, I applaud!

Congratulations. :thumbup:

And congrats to you too! :thumbup: Now then, what about sweatshops...

I'm really impressed and inspired by this MOC of yours, SlyOwl. Very touching + a bunch of amazing techniques.

Building MOCs from lyrics is a great idea and I bet there will be some more now when you have "cleared the way" :wink:

Thanks for showing us this masterpiece!

I'm not so sure how many songs there are out there that can be so easily translated into brick, but I do have plans for a parody verison of this song, and perhaps a song from Les Miserables.

This is superb. Absolutley splendid.

I really like the MOC - and is it just me, or does old grey really remind you of tarmac in the rain?

A far better colour than the newer shade of grey.

It reminds me of dry, dusty flagstones, not tarmac (which is old dark grey in my eye) :wink:

Just to let you know that Streets of London has been featured in Classic-Town.net. :wink:

Thanks Fangy! Told you I'd do Town someday :grin:

Amazing MOC SlyOwl. You've really captured the spirit of the song. The old woman looks so mean! And that's a very nice bucket. For any "Big Train" fans out there...Streets of London!!

Only trouble is Mr Walrus can't hold onto it... :tongue: