SlyOwl

Pillage the Village II: The Calm After the Storm

If we have a major revision, can we post it in a new thread, and someone mark the old thread as very old? That way we can get new comments so we know what to improve this time around!

Preferably just edit your first post in the thread, and one of the staff can add an Updated: or something into the topic title, but if the revision is very major (i.e. practically a new MOC), then starting a new thread is fine.

Are all of the entries going to front-paged on CP?

Just curious :pir-classic:

Are all of the entries going to front-paged on CP?

Just curious :pir-classic:

Yep. Except for the ones that are made ugly on purpose or something :pir_laugh2: .

Except for the ones that are made ugly on purpose or something :pir_laugh2: .

Like what......or are you referring to my spectacular, revolutionary,amazing entry with designs that even SlyOwl couldn't dream of.

Like what......or are you referring to my spectacular, revolutionary,amazing entry with designs that even SlyOwl couldn't dream of.

Something like that. :pir-tongue:

After browsing all the entries in the contest, it got me thinking. Just a suggestion, in the next competition, maybe you could do a seperate catargory for people with the title of 'moc expert', a bit like the seperate staff entries you do. I say this because it will give others a better chance to win things who normally dont get as many votes. Theres a lot of people who put their best efforts into a moc for a comp, only to see the usuall 'experts' submit great entries and get all the votes. Like i said, just a suggestion, you know i think you all do a great job of organising these comps, just adding an idea :pir-classic:

So far, 5 out of the 40+ entries are by so-called MOC Experts.

The suggestion you put forward appears good on first inspection, to balance the playing field. However, there are a couple of problems with it. The MOC Expert tag is very subjective; there is no set criteria to qualify for it; the staff allocate it on an "oh, he's done quite a few great MOCs" basis, so there is a grey area between definitely does and definitely doesn't qualify. Moreover, what's to stop lurkers/new members with no MOCing history walking the competition (and promptly being declared a MOC expert...)? There's also the fact that not all MOC experts are interested in Pirate MOCing/have the time; there's only a small group of them after all, so it may not get many entries (and thus be even easier to win).

Ultimately it's not a fair contest - people have different amounts of bricks/money, time and talent.

The Creative Critic Contest does help those who aren't so good at MOCing - they are given constructive feedback, and, in the best scenarios, guided through a series of improvements to their MOC(s). Those giving the feedback are also required to look at building in an analytical way, which thus develops their own buildings skills (more so if they go so far as to build a small example of what they mean e.g. a design for a lantern).

Should EB and CP expand to such a size that separate categories according to past MOCing experience are necessary, I'm sure it'll be considered; thanks for the suggestion :pir-wink:

Hi! Please, check, will my entry suit Medium size requirements.

Its base is 8 studs wide and 24 studs long

Edited by General

ive got a creation i just made involving pirates that is also christmasy. TECHNICALLY if i post my MOC as an entry to this, THEN post it as an entry to the christmas contest held by CopMike, that suites your rules, yes? you said never seen BEFORE anywhere else, so if this contest is the debut of my MOC, then i should be able to enter both contests.

please reply soon and tell me if im right or wrong so i can post it in the christmas raffle before the end date tommarrow (so preferably as soon as possible...)

i hope im not being a pain, but i dont want to waste your time with my entry if your just going to disqualify me, and if you do, you have proof of when i post my entries and that i followed the rules given.

Hi, could I get a staff member discretionary ruling on my small entry's overhang? I posted my entry here, and there's a shot of a 1x8 next to it on my flickr page. The overhang is mostly a couple beams and some ribs, no baseplates, but I'm sure I'm pushing the limits for a "small" entry. Thanks, I appreciate it!

Hi, could I get a staff member discretionary ruling on my small entry's overhang? I posted my entry here, and there's a shot of a 1x8 next to it on my flickr page. The overhang is mostly a couple beams and some ribs, no baseplates, but I'm sure I'm pushing the limits for a "small" entry. Thanks, I appreciate it!

Hey Pellaeon!

After checking out your entry, I see that it is based on an 8x8 baseplate, but unfortunately it has quite a bit of overhang with the SNOT green and the ribs, like you said. It will have to be entered in the medium category to be fair to everyone. Nice entry BTW. :thumbup::pir-classic:

Just to add to what Zuloo said, as the category sizes are based around the baseplate size, the overlap from the ribs isn't really a problem, as they don't give an unfair advantage in terms of total space used up for the "content" (in this case golf action) of the scene. In conjunction with the overlap on the other side, however, it ends up a little excessive. Then again, I think to myself - "as this would fit into the small category by removing a row of sand green bricks, surely it isn't worth asking him to remove them, and just let it stay in the small category?"

The decision is borderline, but this belongs in the Medium Category.

Knock off a row of bricks (preferably two), and we'll let it slip into the small category, should you want that.

Hey Pellaeon!

After checking out your entry, I see that it is based on an 8x8 baseplate, but unfortunately it has quite a bit of overhang with the SNOT green and the ribs, like you said. It will have to be entered in the medium category to be fair to everyone. Nice entry BTW. :thumbup::pir-classic:

The decision is borderline, but this belongs in the Medium Category.

Knock off a row of bricks (preferably two), and we'll let it slip into the small category, should you want that.

Thanks for the speedy replies, guys! I figured I was extending the SNOT green a bit far, but that's as small as I'd managed to get it. However, I might be able to pull a row of bricks off the lower level without making it look overcrowded. I'll post an update if I do, or mark that post "withdrawn" and just submit the medium build I'm working on. Thanks again!

[update] I posted the new one. I pulled a row of bricks from the lower level, and removed the 1x3 from the upper. I hope that does the trick. :classic:

Edited by Pellaeon

Hi, quick clarification: does the contest end midnight GMT on the 30th, like the other contests typically do? As in, I've still got about 18 hours to take better pictures? :pir-grin:

Thanks!

I hope i'm not to late if I add mine after school :pir-cry_sad:

~Insectoid aristocrat (with a pirate hat)

Edited by dannylonglegs

Technically Midnight EST (so +6 hours or so from GMT), but we're not going to be tight, so early tomorrow is good as well.

Its funny to see everyone scrambling to get there last minute entries done :pir-laugh:

Its funny to see everyone scrambling to get there last minute entries done :pir-laugh:

Not for anyone who's trying to provide some feedback it isn't :pir-tongue:

[*]Judging will take place by a public vote. Each person can pick their favourite 3 entries, in order per category. This will happen by posting, not by voting in a poll.

This is my first contest I've entered, so I don't know how the judging will be done exactly. :pir_wacko:

Someone give an explaining or an example how to do this?

There will be a thread opened called voting or sth like that.

There you will post a post:) with sth ilke that:

Someone - Moc1

Sometwo- Moc2

Somethree - Moc3

or something similar

There will be a thread opened called voting or sth like that.

Ahhh, that was the info that I had missed. Thanks for the quick answer.