Cale

TTCE: Ma & Pa Section House

ENTERED

My entry for category 3.

The Section House or tool house was the headquarters for the Ma & Pa's section gangs. Each section gang, consisting of a foreman and five to seven track workers, was responsible for the maintenance of about ten miles of track on the Ma & Pa. They handled all maintenance from tie replacement to surfacing the track, tamping ballast, and clearing snow in the winter. Only bridge and trestle repairs were handled by a special gang, based in Fallston, Maryland, that operated over the entire railroad. Once a week the foreman walked his section from end to end to inspect it and ensure its safety. The hand car and in latter years a motor car used by the section gang and all of their tools were housed in the Section House.

3876741126_058c1f9c18.jpg

This Section House is based on a standard set of plans developed by the Ma & Pa. Two of these houses are known to still be standing. One is located in Hyde Maryland. Built in 1903 the Hyde Section House served Ma & Pa's section 3. The other is located in Muddy Creek Forks. Built in 1911 this house served section 8. The Muddy Creek Forks house is now preserved as part of the Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Preservation Society's Muddy Creek Forks Historic Site.

mapatieplates.gif

Cale

Edited by TheBrickster

This is indeed a very nice building. Simple but very nicely build with some details around it. Would be even better to put is on a baseplate with some scenery, but hey, this contest is about buildings and trains, not sceneries.

Nice job :thumbup:

And good to see there are some contesters for the Cat 3 as well :)

This is indeed a very nice building. Simple but very nicely build with some details around it. Would be even better to put is on a baseplate with some scenery, but hey, this contest is about buildings and trains, not sceneries.

Nice job :thumbup:

And good to see there are some contesters for the Cat 3 as well :)

I built this model without a base plate so it could be easily integrated into a club train layout. I do have future plans that include a more permanent and sceniced locals for the Ma & Pa's section houses.

And I didn't realize this until Anthony Sava pointed it out but I'm ineligible for the contest as I'm helping with the RailBricks blog. I really need to pay attention to this stuff. :grin:

Cale

How did you make the shingles!?!? That is a flawless building IMO :cry_happy:
Looks really smooth... the roof looks great!
i really like the roof, the mix of bley and old grey gives it a very stone look.
cool building

i especially like how you did the roof

great job!

Thanks for the comments on the roof guys. The Ma & Pa shipped a lot of slate from the quarries in Delta Pennsylvania. So slate shingles were used quite a lot on the railroads structures. Even the humble little tool houses and that was part of the Ma & Pa's charm. So it was one of the element that to me had to look perfect. I owe bricktrix and gambort for the roof inspiration. I tried out several methods to get the slate shingle look but this was the most elegant. And it better look like stone. It is slate after all. :pir-laugh:

Cale

Edited by Cale

Really like the building there, especially the various shades of grey used to add realism to the roof. I also love the hand cart in the additional photos. Good work! :thumbup:

That's a great entry, Cale! :thumbup:

I really :wub: it!

When I saw only the first pic posted here I firstly thought: Well, nice house, but ...? But when I served through your gallery and looked at all the pics of your entry I really began to like it since the interior and the accessory you added to it are great!

Very well done! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

That's a great entry, Cale! :thumbup:

I really :wub: it!

When I saw only the first pic posted here I firstly thought: Well, nice house, but ...? But when I served through your gallery and looked at all the pics of your entry I really began to like it since the interior and the accessory you added to it are great!

Very well done! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Thanks. That was the hardest part of this build. On first glance it's such a simple basic structure that it doesn't seem that it would be that interesting. So I had to really concentrate on the details to make it stand out and add interest.

Cale