Sign in to follow this  
Captain Blackmoor

Visiting The Amsterdam, 23 August 2009

A week ago, YnyklY and me were visiting the Amsterdam in Amsterdam. The Amsterdam is a replica of a trading ship which was in service of the VOC.

The weather was beautiful and we had a great day. Not only because we've visited the Amsterdam, we have paid Captain Blue Hair and Bonaparte a visit as well!

We've seen some of the famous CBH masterpieces, and some top-secret projects. And of course we saw the Prins Willim with our own eyes! :pir-sweet:

Amstedam is a nice city as well, a lot of awesome buildings! Some of them you can recognize from paintings.

3871083171_1c8d57829b_o.jpg

Great view.

3871079223_823af3f13a_o.jpg

There she is! A very nicely decorated stern.

3871057295_48978dae5f_o.jpg

And a view from the front, I really like the headrails. :pir-sweet:

3871081707_5db0d76e4d_o.jpg

After that, we went aboard. Here you can see the bowsprit.

3871865348_49601e6f88_o.jpg

A view from the quarterdeck.

3871866618_fc1907c5bd_o.jpg

The compass cabinet, along with the lights so they can watch the compass at night.

3871058419_e9030b2e47_o.jpg

Me doing odd at the steering wheel, I tried to move the ship. Unfortunately it didn't move.

3871057019_efe517fdf0_o.jpg

Below deck, with some large barrels. Perhaps there was rum in them... :pir-hmpf:

3871863472_5a8b3a3d3c_o.jpg

The capstan to raise the anchors, cargo and the yards.

3871079787_6c4a3b5551_o.jpg

A gunport.

3871080467_32653a16cf_o.jpg

The gundeck filled with cannons.

3871864138_a6ed20c9ea_o.jpg

VOC engraved in a cannon.

3871864896_3c623f5808_o.jpg

One of the 20 (?) cannons on board.

3871059895_463562be63_o.jpg

The comfortable captain's cabin.

3871058085_61c10f65c4_o.jpg

The sleeping cabin, it was rather comfy in there.

3871841978_1cfbb9c80c_o.jpg

The dining cabin of the ship.

3871082113_a7629ce406_o.jpg

And the Captain's furniture in the cabin.

That was it! We had an amazing day, and if you ever want to visit Amsterdam, then you have to visit the Amsterdam as well! :pir-sweet:

I hope you've enjoyed the pictures! :pir-wink:

That's very cool Cap'n! :pir-classic: I'm sure it was a great help with your ship you're working on. Sometime I want to go visit the U.S.S. Constitution. There's a replica of the Santa Maria somewhat near where I live that toured once, I might try to go see it again since it's closer.

Looks like a very nice ship! But somehow the interior just looks a big plain. I didn't think they used Brown decking, I thought it was mostly tan. Also the Cabins were usually more elaborate in the Royal Navy.

DSCF2286.jpg

Yeah, We had class... :pir_laugh2:

Visiting ships is great for inspiration, and we are lucky to still have quite a few unburned ones in Holland. :pir-classic:

It was good talking to you guys, i really enjoyed discussing Lego shipbuilding and the books Nykle had with him.

Looks like a very nice ship! But somehow the interior just looks a big plain. I didn't think they used Brown decking, I thought it was mostly tan. Also the Cabins were usually more elaborate in the Royal Navy.

Yeah, We had class... :pir_laugh2:

Remember this is a humble trading ship, without any high poop admirals on board so it wasn't that necessarry to put all kinds of furniture in the cabin. :pir-tongue:

Nice snaps Blackmoor! I'm in awe of your experience. I think this is a story for the frontpage. :pir-classic:

Thanks Captain Zuloo! :pir-classic:

Visiting ships is great for inspiration, and we are lucky to still have quite a few unburned ones in Holland. :pir-classic:

It was good talking to you guys, i really enjoyed discussing Lego shipbuilding and the books Nykle had with him.

Yeah we had a great day, we defenitely repeat that in the future! :pir-wink:

That looks like so much fun! That is the best kind of reference there is.

And so it is Paul, the cool thing is you see things on the ship you haven't noticed the previous time. That's the proof you can learn a lot from this forum! :pir-sweet:

3871058419_e9030b2e47_o.jpg

Me doing odd at the steering wheel, I tried to move the ship. Unfortunately it didn't move.

Priceless expression! :pir-grin:

Looks like you guys had a great day!

Remember this is a humble trading ship, without any high poop admirals on board so it wasn't that necessarry to put all kinds of furniture in the cabin. :pir-tongue:

Still, It would have helped, I thought you could do it up with all the money you made from trading! :pir_laugh2:

Yeah, that really was a great day in a great city and with great ships. I'd love to live in Amsterdam! Hey do I see a boat for sale on the first image? :pir_laugh2:

Wow thta's a nice ship.

I hope to see it once myself too.

btw: I heard there was a replica of the HMS Bounty and many other ships in Delfzijl, but they already left a few days ago.

Has someone been there?

btw: I heard there was a replica of the HMS Bounty and many other ships in Delfzijl, but they already left a few days ago.

Has someone been there?

I haven't been there, but I read something about it too. It's too overcrowded for me, but maybe I'll go to sailAmsterdam some day. Great to have those kinds of events. And the clipper 'stad Amsterdam' just left Holland, and now it's going to Plymouth and after that it will make the same (around the world) trip Darwin made. Could be a nice thing to follow a bit. The site is: http://www.stadamsterdam.com/content/news/.../2009/03/06.xml

It's the only one besides the Batavia left now, isn't it? :pir-cry_sad:

Yes it is.. but we also have a small 'Statenjacht'-ship And ofcourse there are currently two ships in the make, the 'Delft' and the 7 Provinciën.

Thanks for the pictures. You really captured some nice details. Did they give you renewed inspiration for your ship?

Yeah, that really was a great day in a great city and with great ships. I'd love to live in Amsterdam! Hey do I see a boat for sale on the first image? :pir_laugh2:
Yes, you're right. It looks like that you have a very nice day at Amsterdam. It's not so far away for me.