Sign in to follow this  
legoboy3998

Decals for lego trains

traintech1.jpg

Hello all,

I have designed a locomotive in LDD and now I just need to create som decals. I was wondering has anyone had any success with doin this? Or, does anyone know a good place to find plain * 1/2" x 11" glossy white and clear decal type paper suitable for inkjet printers? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Sal

Milwaukee, WI

USA

Hello all,

I have designed a locomotive in LDD and now I just need to create som decals. I was wondering has anyone had any success with doin this? Or, does anyone know a good place to find plain * 1/2" x 11" glossy white and clear decal type paper suitable for inkjet printers? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Sal

Milwaukee, WI

USA

There was a thread about this topic on the Trains-n-Town forum a while back. You might find some information there. My own experiences are posted in that thread.

I've had luck finding clear and white sticker paper in office supply stores such as Staples around here. For decal paper, I used some from the Testors model company that were made for applying to plastic model car kits. I had some success with that, but I found it hard to find in large quantities.

-Elroy

We print it on transparant polyester using a special printer (that is used in printing shops) (examples at our ministickers site).

Unfortuntely printing white seems to stay difficult even with such a device and special ink.

Stacy and I generally use waterslide decal paper from either Vita-Cal or Testors. The decal paper comes in both transparent and white. You can usually find these at Hub Hobby, Hobby Lobby, or other local hobby stores.

If you need to print white graphics (or are placing the decal on a dark colored element), you will have to use the white paper...which in my opinion does not seem to work as well as the transparent. I should say I have not had good luck printing with an inkjet on the white paper. I'm not sure why though. If you are printing only colors and are putting the decal over a lighter color (tan, white, yellow, light gray, lime, orange, etc.) then you can use the transparent paper. You can see some examples of decals we have made below. I think everything below used transparent decal paper.

1214967326_SPLASH.jpg

1216339018_SPLASH.jpg

12483057031_SPLASH.jpg

1241918404m_SPLASH.jpg

1230694275m_SPLASH.jpg

3655359349_4622f7489c.jpg

3739032288_3a5cc757c9.jpg

Hope this helps.

-Dave

tot-lug_100x40.jpg