Imperial Governer

A cumbersome thing about 7749 Echo Base I am hearing about?

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

I am planning to buy my FIRST SW set next week, which is Echo Base. I am hoping that it is in stock at my local LEGO store, because I know they are selling like hotcakes!

But, there is something I'm hearing about it that I REALLY don't like too much!

Would its playability be better with a grey baseplate, or just the set? I don't want to spend the extra $15 for a grey baseplate I don't have! Even when I went over to my friend's house, he had it on a grey baseplate! I just wanna know from the LEGO experts if the set would work better with or without a baseplate! Thank you very much! :pirate:

Not at all. :wink: It works just fine. Sometimes bits fall off, so just to be sure strengthen it with some plates/bricks underneath. :classic: It is guaranteed to work if you do that.

Hope I helped. :thumbup:

EDIT: You really ought to aquire a grey baseplate for general use. It comes in handy when making MOCs and dioramas. :sweet:

Edited by Jammiedodger714

EDIT: You really ought to aquire a grey baseplate for general use. It comes in handy when making MOCs and dioramas. :sweet:

Agreed, I have 3 grey baseplates and they are very useful for MOCing or displaying my Star Wars armies in battle formations.

I agree. My turret always falls off like an escape pod. I don't have a gray baseplate but I onlu have greens and a yellow. I suggest a baseplate but a mini one for bargain hunters.

Great news to hear you are getting your first Star Wars set :thumbup:. If I were you I would buy the base plate. Even if you don't put your set on it, it will come in handy. Another reason you may want it is that so you can expand by making scenery and possibly adding more sets to make a little diorama.

I think you should be completely happy with the playability of the Echo Base and all the pieces without the use of a Grey Baseplate. As mentioned above, some pieces will occasionally fall off, most specifically for me; the "wall" and the "cannon" get seperated a bit easily if you pick them up, but that shouldn't be a huge problem. If you don't have the money to purchase a baseplate, you shouldn't feel like you have to with the Hoth playset. As mentioned above, baseplates are always welcome additions to collections, but if money is an issue (thanks to the tough economic times) you should be able to bypass the baseplate with full confidence that you will enjoy the playset to your fullest ability. :sweet:

As others have said, you may not need the baseplate to enjoy the set, I recommend getting one for other uses if you so desire.

As for the set, I never really considered displaying it on a bp, but I suggest the style of the set could lend itself to that type of display. I got it a few weeks ago, and I love it. While it may be a little pricier than other sets of its size ($25 USD as opposed to $20 :hmpf:) its still a great set. The figures are great, as well as the Tauntaun. You shouldn't be disappointed with the set...

-darthperson

I dont see the need for a baseplate for it. The set is good though overpriced and would be even more expensive with a small white baseplate. Where the turret connects with the bunker is quite flimsy but if you hold it properly or mod it this should be a problem. If you wanted to keep the set altogether it may be hard with a baseplate because the snowtrooper's e-web blaster cannot connect to it and the base and taun taun are big enough that you wouldnt lose them easily.

If I was you id get this set because it will be worth a lot when you cant get it anymore

Everyone, thank you all for helping! :pirate:

But, I have some bad news. My local LEGO Store didn't get their delivery of Echo Base's this week, and won't have any in stock for this Friday, when I'm going up there. :sceptic:

But instead, I might get the Castle Drawbridge Defense set or the Indy Venice Chase set.

Thanks everyone who helped me with my problem. When I get Echo Base in the future, I will put everything everyone suggested in my head! :classic:

Depends on how sturdt you want/need it.

I think for display reasons, NO you don't need it.

For playability maybe.

You don't really need any baseplates to put under the Echo Base, but it would not hurt if you were going to play with it or something like that.

LegoKing