HoMa

ICE 3 in motion

Wow - 4 classic 9V motors. :oh:

No wonder about the sound then. :wink:

Thanks for sharing.

Looks good, but what do you need 4 engines for in this train ? Isn't 1 or 2 powerfull enough ?

And why does it only runs on smooth curves made with straight track ? Or don't you own any curved track :wink:

Looks good, but what do you need 4 engines for in this train ? Isn't 1 or 2 powerfull enough ?

And why does it only runs on smooth curves made with straight track ? Or don't you own any curved track :wink:

The train with it's 8 units is ca. 3.5 metres (~11.5 feet) long. Due to the snot builing of the roof the units are really heavy. I was surprised that "only" 4 motors are enough to let it run like you see it on the video.

My ICE 3 could ride on standard straight and curved track and also goes through switches. I use the concept of "smooth curves using just straight track elements" for a much more realistic layout for long LEGO trains. 23 straight elements makes a quarter circle.

And yes, I own some curved tracks as well :-]

Holger

The train with it's 8 units is ca. 3.5 metres (~11.5 feet) long. Due to the snot builing of the roof the units are really heavy. I was surprised that "only" 4 motors are enough to let it run like you see it on the video.

did not know it was 3,5 meters, wow, maybe that explains it a bit more why you need that amound of motors :classic:

My ICE 3 could ride on standard straight and curved track and also goes through switches. I use the concept of "smooth curves using just straight track elements" for a much more realistic layout for long LEGO trains. 23 straight elements makes a quarter circle.

Nice website, never new of the existence. I did use this technique once to make wider/narrower turns, but since the coming of flextrack I do not need it any more (ofcourse I do not use 9volt). However, you do need a huge layout if 23 tracks make a quarter circle. But ofcourse you do need a large layout wit a 3,5 m long train :tongue:

Great work, very realistic. Am I right in thinking I've seen this and other European high speed train MOCs of yours on YouTube?

Great work, very realistic. Am I right in thinking I've seen this and other European high speed train MOCs of yours on YouTube?

No, the youtube videos do not show my ICE. But I was heavyly inspired by this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/LEGO9vtrainfan

James Mathis created the 6 wide ICE virtually: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=4940

I myself created the smooth curves using straight track.

Both is used in perfect harmony in these videos ...

Holger

How many speed regulators do you actually need to supply four 9V motors with electricity? I only use one speed regulator. If there are 3 motors on the layout, they do not move fast because all three need too much electricity. With only two motors on the layout, this is no problem. But 4 motors should hardly move. Did you overcome this problem with more speed regulators or did you have another solution?

Your model uses some interesting techniques, i really like the general look of the train.

I also like tha fact that this is a ''purist'' model and some of the details like the small ridge in the roof and the interior are amazing. :thumbup:

Though the nose might not be my favourite because of all the gaps and the trans blue instead of trans black windscreen. I don't have a better idea either..

Great site you have too, i love all the background info you've placed on it.

I have just bookmarked it. :wink:

How many speed regulators do you actually need to supply four 9V motors with electricity? I only use one speed regulator. If there are 3 motors on the layout, they do not move fast because all three need too much electricity. With only two motors on the layout, this is no problem. But 4 motors should hardly move. Did you overcome this problem with more speed regulators or did you have another solution?

DC power is like a garden hose. The speed of the water flow is voltage and the thickness of the hose is how much current (amps).

If you add a 2nd 9volt regulator you don't get 18volts at the rail, you still only get 9volts but with more current.

One regulator will happily run two motors with low load. If you have a big train then you need more motors to distribute the load.

More motors means more regulators. I typically use two motors on my medium sized trains to reduce the load on the motor (longer life).

Oh and the speed train is fantastic with the big sweaping turns. TLC should make different radius curves (another topic perhaps)

Edited by pe668