Sign in to follow this  
Apache

Pirate Tic Tac Toe - Cheap Part Alert

So here are the pics I took. Again, I'm not saying "Don't spend your money on Lego" and I'm not saying "Don't buy this set" All I'm saying is you might be dissapointed if you are expecting the same quality lego parts that are in other sets. I wish I would of bought just one set, as I don't like the look of the material or quality used in the torso, hands and legs. It looks and feels cheap to me. It doesn't feel and look like Lego to me, but again I'm 31 and have been looking at lego for a long time and maybe I'm just used to seeing that true lego yellow. Maybe this is the wave of the future. Zorro I'm sure you won't believe me, and maybe your right, maybe the TTT sets are the same quality, but here are some pics that I took of one of the soldiers from the TTT set and one from the Soldiers Arsenal Set.

The TTT' parts are on the left and the SA parts are on the right. You decide if there appears to be a difference.

TorsoPic.jpg

The torso's are both facing the same way yet the LEGO logo is facing opposite ways

TTTnecks.jpg

Notice the necks of the torsos, black print on the neck of the SA part, no print on the TTT part

TTThands.jpg

Notice the lemon looking TTT hand on the left in contrast to the more regular looking yellow yand, also note the dark shadow area of the arm hole in the SA part which contrasts with the TTT part. It's like light shines right through the plastic of the TTT part. Also note the numbe stamped on the TTT arm.

Again, I'm not saying don't buy these, I'm just saying that I have noticed a difference and if I had known there is a difference I would of not bought fou sets and would of bought more cannon battles and soldier arsenals because I was mainly buying these for more soldiers.

NOTE- Brick Beard's legs are not made of the same material of the rest of the figs, I believe he is a Brick Beard made of normal quality. Even his hand is darker and more opaque. Almost like the brick beards come from a different factory. I will pull his arms off and compare with Brick Beard from soldier fort and Bounty.

Edited by Apache

I noticed that too when I open it up. I grabbed one of my other troops and compared the two. I was a bit disappointed but I guess that's how they brought the price down. I don't plan to get more and the ones I have will blend in with the rest.

There has been quality discussion about all the specialty pre-assembled minifig packs, including fridge magnets, games, Castle battlepacks, Vintage Minifig Collections, and things like the Classic Space fig in the classic space bag.

I have personally noticed these issues as well, especially with the quality of red, and it has really put me off buying any of these kinds of products.

Personally I think the worst aspect is that these figs, especially the army builders, will get mixed into Bricklink lots so future buyers won't know they're getting an inferior product :pir-cry_sad:

I kind of knew that the quality wouldn't be as great, but I was expecting maybe the torso printing to suffer, not the legs, and torsos themselves. I don't remember the castle tic-tac-toes being like this, but then again, they had armor to cover up the torsos.

I don't think I will buy any more, I will wait untill soldier arsenals or Cannon Battles go on clearance, but Swelt, you bring up a really good point, these are getting added into the bricklink inventory as we speak. Sad

Thank you for the heads up, Apache.

I saw this coming after the SW magnets, Castle BPs, and Vintage Minifig Collections all had this crap material.

I was thinking this might be a good army builder, but that material is just awful :pir-sceptic:

Swelt

Does Svelte have a welt now? :pir_laugh2: I knew they were going to be like this. I might still get the bp becaue I only have cannon battle and love the soilders, no exception for the admiral. Plus a monkey, parrot, Brickbead, and the chest. :pir-wub:

Edited by JCC1004

I really wanted this set, but now... I think I'll pass (which is unfortunate since it did have some nice figs and heads).

Hopefully the pirates battlepack and the advent calendar will contain proper LEGO pieces.

I really wanted this set, but now... I think I'll pass (which is unfortunate since it did have some nice figs and heads).

Hopefully the pirates battlepack and the advent calendar will contain proper LEGO pieces.

Same thoughts here... the Bricklink issue is pretty serious too and - unless they will be seperated in the Bricklink catalog - will bring down the price of the good minifigs too because it will turn into a lottery which one you'll get.

I didn't know this at all! :pir-sad2: I was going to buy this set to get my hands on those figures (Captain, general, lady pirate)... But I guess I won't do it now. And I was also going to buy the last couple of Minifigure Collections, but why would I bother if the quality isn't good at all?! I always liked what LEGO did, I never had any big complaints, but this is just sad and ridicilous!

Edited by Matn

I bought the Cops and Robbers Tic tac Toe and once I got it and realized that all the minifigs are real and not weird versions, I was like dang, lots of fig's for cheap.

I am so glad i read this before I actually bought it! I was about to buy a bunch of them!

So, when the pirate battle pack becomes available, I think I will only buy one first to see what the quality is before I go buck wild buying those.

-Super

Does anyone have both the Castle and Pirate tic tac toe sets to compare with normal minifigs?

Well, at least I can get a good quality pirate wench in the advent calendar. Now I only need a Admiral...

Yeah, I didn't even open the other sets, thinking about trying to exchange them for battle packs because I was so upset. But now I think I will just put regular extra hands on my red coats and some of the pirates. I will try to take some reference pics tonight of both the 2 soldiers I was comparing.

I will try to take some reference pics tonight of both the 2 soldiers I was comparing.

Thanks, I would like to see...

Darn, I was so excited when I learnt about these sets. We'll probably still buy the Pirate TTT when it comes out, because it contains the gorgeous female pirate, but I guess our excitement will be somewhat fettered. Can't say I've noticed any marked difference in quality with the magnet sets (admittedly we've only got two so far). Now I'll be too afraid to look more closely at them... :pir-sing:

Has anyone thought that LEGO might be trying to get rid of all their crappy minifigures. They might have kept out all those vintage ones when they noticed a flaw and now have decided lets sell them and make some good money. They probably figure lets not waste the minifigs that aren't high quality lets just through them into some minfigure packs. Just a thought.

Has anyone thought that LEGO might be trying to get rid of all their crappy minifigures. They might have kept out all those vintage ones when they noticed a flaw and now have decided lets sell them and make some good money. They probably figure lets not waste the minifigs that aren't high quality lets just through them into some minfigure packs. Just a thought.

Hmm, interesting thought. And while certainly possible, I think it's more likely they come from a different lower-quality production line/factory/country.

Hmm, interesting thought. And while certainly possible, I think it's more likely they come from a different lower-quality production line/factory/country.

I don't think TLG works like that, but anyway, it is certain that this is an outstanding armybuilder set IF they are made of the same quality (and I think they are)!

I still plan on getting at least 2 sets. I am not too serious in terms of the collecting aspect. I just want to have a bunch of minifigs for display purposes. Although I do intend on getting a lot of minifigs, my main concern will be MOC's.

Hey guys, some pics have been added. Let me know what you guys find in your sets. Again, if you don't have alot of money, this is a great way to get those figs that you've been wanting. Playability wise they have the same value, but the texture and look of the material or plastic used in these molds bothers me. It reminds me of ....dare I say...megablox!!!!!!

Hey guys, some pics have been added.

Thanks! You've convinced me...I don't think this is a good option to go for. The lack of neck printing decided it for me.

I'm not planning on doing an S@H orders for a while; hopefully by then TLG would have changed their mind about this... but I doubt it. Darn.