Sign in to follow this  
-JD-

LUL to Minifigure

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

After having two LUL Mace Windus for a few years now, they were getting very annoying with their non movable right arm. So, I decided that I should take one apart and see what is inside! Then, if all went well I would make it into a minifigure.

All you need is large paper clip, tweezers and a sharp knife (with adult supervision if you are a child :classic: ).

First, I took off the right arm and saw it had a wire running through it. Then I took off the other arm, and could see the circuits. I had already seen the holes under the arms and the panel on the back of the torso. I tried to press inside the holes to release the panel, but no success. Then I stuck the paperclip in the left arm hole and pushed the panel as hard as I could releasing it slightly. Then I picked up the knife and levered it out. It caused a tiny bit of damage to the inner side of the panel, but who is going to see that? :classic: I thought to take some photos to show you what it looked like:

You can see the batteries, and the wire in the arm.

3801413216_5f0daaba11_o.jpg

The back panel:

3801413226_7e48a29609_o.jpg

The stages of battery removal:

3801413232_79df7a76dc_o.jpg

The arm wire (note the black knob which held it in place):

3801413242_e141e7cd29_o.jpg

The arm. See that once I cut the wire, I used the tweezers to push the black knob inwards, out of the way. But, it did snap one of the plastic battery holders.

3801413272_d6f4bd7005_o.jpg

The panel can now be placed back on easily, and be taken off easily using the tiny holes under the arms. The batteries prevented this before. :wink:

3801413280_bbeb50f09d_o.jpg

The figure afterward, without the parts added.

3800610223_ce0f4f4e78_o.jpg

The Mace Windu Clan (From left: Transformed LUL, LUL, Custom Mace):

3800610225_d9c5855871_o.jpg

The two Turbo Tank Mace Windu figures:

3800610231_25bcf21687_o.jpg

I hope this is helpful for those of you who wanted to change their Mace Windus and Luminaras! :classic:

Btw, the legs are NOT removable. :sing:

Greetings,

JD

Edited by KimT

That's a nice little tutorial you made there, and I am sure it will help. The funny and creepy thing is, I had a dream last night about taking the battery out of my LUL Luminara.

Great tutorial! :thumbup: It's surprisingly easy to do too. One problem I see is if you don't have the right couloured arm or hand, it might look wierd.

One problem I see is if you don't have the right couloured arm or hand, it might look wierd.

Just use him in a MOC for the fight scene from Episode III. :thumbup: He loses his right arm in that. :grin:

That's a nice little tutorial you made there, and I am sure it will help. The funny and creepy thing is, I had a dream last night about taking the battery out of my LUL Luminara.

Thanks! I beat you to it! :tongue:

I had that idea awhile ago but I have no LUL figure. Are the left hands removeable? Lumninara has some specail color and you'd need two of her for matching hands.

Does the new arm fit into the torso like any other arm?

Yes they do fit. It just looks strange because it is hollow. :laugh:

Are the left hands removeable? Lumninara has some specail color and you'd need two of her for matching hands.

Well, you could give her black hands as gloves? Yes, the hands are removable.

Glad I can help. :classic:

Thanks for sharing this with us! I always wanted to know what made a LUL figure tick. :classic:

So, is it in every way an actual minifigure now? Or does the head not come off? Also, isn't the cape really loose (it keeps spinning around the neck)? I looked at my friends' (yes they're twins :tongue:) LUL Mace Windu, and the cape was so loose. :sceptic:

Yes, In the Clone Turbo Tank. I have both versions. Thanks TLC :classic:

I was't aware of this issue when I bought it. I ordered a misb TT and i was unknown if it was LUL or not. I was lucky.

Didn't a official Lego version non LUL Mace Windu come out after receiving harsh reviews.

They sure did, although I didn't mind the lul figures that much. But that was probably because most of them were already available as regular figures. I'd still like to see Lego officially release a non lul Luminara.

Somewhat off topic, I was surprised to test all my luls and see that they still all light up. I figured the batteries would be dead after 4 years.

Somewhat off topic, I was surprised to test all my luls and see that they still all light up. I figured the batteries would be dead after 4 years.

Is there anyone else, reading this topic and being a Dutch speaker, who can not stop laughing when people in a Lego forum are talking about "lighting up luls"? :grin::laugh:

On topic: Nice to see the quite complicated system inside these minifigures with lighting-up accessories!

great job Jammiedodger714. It seems fairly simple to do which is good cause the LUL minifigs have never appealed to me but I started collecting after the LUL minifigs were released. Lets just hope they dont re appear in 2010 sets

Is there anyone else, reading this topic and being a Dutch speaker, who can not stop laughing when people in a Lego forum are talking about "lighting up luls"? :grin::laugh:

On topic: Nice to see the quite complicated system inside these minifigures with lighting-up accessories!

First of all thanks for the tutorial. Like some of the others I always wanted to know how it all work but didn't want to do what you did to my LUL Vader (its the only LUL minifigure I got).

I'm not a Dutch speaker but it is not hard to google the meaning of LUL in Dutch. I'm not going to state the meaning here because there might be young children reading these forum but I laughed for a while after finding out the meaning simonwillems

I've massacred a few LUL figs through the years, and discovered the head is two pieces also. Above the eyebrows should be the tiniest little 'seam,' which horizontally wraps around the head, and is where the pieces came apart. Just thought I would say that, so I don't forget. :tongue:

Nice tutorial, by the way. :thumbup:

Thanks for the tutorial, of my two LUL figs, Mace and Luminara, the latter is probably going to receive this treatment, I`ve got the CW Windu so he doesn`t matter much.

Problem is I can`t seem to find my Luminara. :sceptic: