Sign in to follow this  
Scouty

Hardee's Manual of Arms!

3796253977_688d42163a_o.jpg

Hello! This is the discussion thread!

Before I start anywhere here, here is the link to the actual MANUAL.

Now, please state comments, questions, compliments, and complaints in this thread. Would love to hear if you have questions. :pir-classic:

Now available in PDF Format!! (Best viewed in a smaller size.)

That's a really well presented and nicely laid out manual IS, nice job! :thumbup: It made a very interesting and easy to follow read, and was very informative. I'm sure this will be a good help to all the army builders out there in deploying their troops. :classic:

Thanks for putting this together ImperialScouts. I really enjoyed reading it and looking at that whole regiment of Bluecoats marching.

Wonderful! great job I really love it :pir-blush: Now can teach my 52 Bluecoats the right way of lining up and dicapline :pir-devil:

Once I get my BL order, that is :pir-grin:

Wow, this is excellent, thank you for making this, it was very educational and will be a great help to me and my troops. :pir-grin:

Thanks! It was a lot of work and took more than four hours to do. I'm happy with the result, though.

Have you ever considered turning this manual in a PDF, Imperial Scouts?

It would be another method of distribution and would allow more people to view it.

It's not that hard. You can do it with Microsoft Word and a free plugin like FlashPaper.

Although Word 2007 and 2008 might be able to save directly to PDF, since I never bothered to upgrade past Word 2003 I cannot confirm this.

Good thing I just installed the 2007 version yesterday! I'll see if I can do it there!

Looks amazing! It did take some time before you posted this though!

But thanks anyway, keep up the good work you're doing for the Pirates forum (and beyond).

Good thing I just installed the 2007 version yesterday! I'll see if I can do it there!

If you can just get the information into Word format I can convert it for you.

I'd also recommend merging this thread with the actual Manual as it doesn't seem of great benefit having them as two seperate threads.

The original idea was not to clutter the Manual thread with posts. An idea pitched by Captain Green Blue Hair

Unfortuntely that idea hasn't been conducive in attracting the level of attention your manual deserves. It is somewhat of an inconvience to send people to another thread and then expect them to come back to this one to leave their comments. However, I'll let you decide how you want to do this.

Another issue might be load time. The thread is already loaded with pictures. Extra posts might make the first page really slow to load. Depending.

Not sure what to do, though.

Great presentation Imperialscouts! The manual was very handy!

You've put some good time in it, and the result is awesome. My compliments! :thumbup:

That was a pretty good read, thank you.

On a side note - I got on the drill team at my base and the commands that we use today are very similiar, but for some stupid reason the letter "H" is added to the beginning of a lot of commands.. eg. Stand at hease, left/right flank harch (which I don't recall seeing in your manual, but it may not have existed back then), forward harch, port harms, present harms, et cetera.

When the commands are given, sometimes they throw in other random letters to (for example order arms is said orderp harms)

Again, I'd like to clarify that I don't know how long it's been like this, so I would say don't change anything in your Manual of Arms, unless you investigate it, and dig up new information.

All in all, if a poll was added to rate the content of your manual, on a scale of 1 to 5, I'd give it a 6.

*edited after this*

On your "by files right/left" picture... the guy on the inside turn (or 4th column in that picture) should be half stepping it, the guys in the 2nd and 3rd columns should be doing approximate normal steps and the guy in the first column should be taking longer steps. Obviously in an opposite turn, this would be switched around.

Edited by Thee Pirate

That was a pretty good read, thank you.

On a side note - I got on the drill team at my base and the commands that we use today are very similiar, but for some stupid reason the letter "H" is added to the beginning of a lot of commands.. eg. Stand at hease, left/right flank harch (which I don't recall seeing in your manual, but it may not have existed back then), forward harch, port harms, present harms, et cetera.

When the commands are given, sometimes they throw in other random letters to (for example order arms is said orderp harms)

Again, I'd like to clarify that I don't know how long it's been like this, so I would say don't change anything in your Manual of Arms, unless you investigate it, and dig up new information.

All in all, if a poll was added to rate the content of your manual, on a scale of 1 to 5, I'd give it a 6.

Thank you! It's odd that they add those random letters. I'm not 100% sure if they did anything like that in the 19th century, but I haven't heard/seen otherwise.

*edited after this*

On your "by files right/left" picture... the guy on the inside turn (or 4th column in that picture) should be half stepping it, the guys in the 2nd and 3rd columns should be doing approximate normal steps and the guy in the first column should be taking longer steps. Obviously in an opposite turn, this would be switched around.

That's right. The guys in the outer most column would need take bigger steps, as opposed to the inner guys who takes very little. In some cases, the innermost man just turns 90 degrees automatically. However, in LEGO form, it's a little bit harder to depict :pir_laugh2:

There's some things that I should add to the Manual. You'll see that soon :pir-classic: !

cool! i bet the commands will come in handy when making stop motion and things! thanks for posting this it will be really helpful!