40 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

This is my first stab at a review. Any and all comments and criticisms (constructive of course :wink: ) are welcome!

Unfortunately, the box has been stored away in my attic for years and I'm not going up there to look for it.

Here's a picture of the instructions. These didn't turn out too well, I may scan instruction pages in future reviews.

at-te_01.jpg

The first page:

at-te_02.jpg

Random page:

at-te_03.jpg

The figs. I believe this set and the original RGS (7163) were the only 2 sets that had the AOTC clone troopers:

at-te_04.jpg

The AT-TE in all her glory (with no changes to the original set, you can see a lot of the blue pieces used to build the interior):

at-te_05.jpg

From above, unfortunately, those pieces aren't printed, they're stickers:

at-te_06.jpg

The top section of the walker lifts off to reveal a cramped interior. There is room to seat all four clone trooper and room for their 'guns,' but little else:

at-te_07.jpg

The rear section of the walker:

at-te_08.jpg

This section lifts up to reveal a storage spot for one of the generic speeders.

at-te_09.jpg

This one, unlike most however, is framed in dark red. It looks really nice.

at-te_10.jpg

The seated section for the clones is also removable

at-te_11.jpg

A look at the front of the AT-TE

at-te_12.jpg

The front part of the walker opens revealing access to the control room of the AT-TE

at-te_13.jpg

The side sections of the AT-TE are connection by lone technic pins

at-te_14.jpg

Inverted slopes and those triangular slope pieces are used to hold these sections in place

at-te_15.jpg

Unfortunately this leaves part of the AT-TE open when viewed from certain angles. It doesn't take much modding to fix these holes though.

at-te_16.jpg

A view of the center leg which can be moved:

at-te_17.jpg

A view of one of the rear legs (the rear and front legs are built in the same manner):

at-te_18.jpg

Overall this set looks pretty good and was fun to build. It does have it's flaws as I pointed out, but some of the fun is figuring out how to fix these and make the AT-TE even better. Out of all the clone figures that Lego has come out with the AOTC ones are my favorites. It's a shame they made so few of them. For around $70 this set was a pretty good deal and $20 cheaper than the new one, albeit the figures are much less diverse.

I give this set a solid 8.5/10

its a good set for its time but the newer one looks a lot better. I do have a problem with all the random colours that really annoys me. Its dumb that it didnt come with any exclusives minifigs.

Great review for an average set IMO

For it's age, this looks pretty good, as opposed to the bixy look alot of older sets had, nice write up!

I have that set too, good at the time but terribly fragile, mine kept falling apart. :hmpf_bad:

But maybe that was just me.

Good review though.

dreadful set - looks nothing like the actual thing

..and the bizarre colour scheme!

New AT-TE still isnt quite...right...but its a hundred times better than this, 4482 is almost as bad as the original MTT

Early SW Lego was our friends at Lego trying to cut costs everywhere - this thing is rushed and, frankly, tacky

dreadful set - looks nothing like the actual thing

..and the bizarre colour scheme!

New AT-TE still isnt quite...right...but its a hundred times better than this, 4482 is almost as bad as the original MTT

Early SW Lego was our friends at Lego trying to cut costs everywhere - this thing is rushed and, frankly, tacky

Wow, you've seen this IRL? :laugh:

The colour scheme isn't that bizarre.

Thanks for reviewing this set for us - it's no longer 'blank' in the index :grin:

A great set for the time when it was released.

Still one of my favorites, despite the design flaws.

Given it was a delicate set- it does dismantle at an angry glance, its still an icon. Its complement of minifigs ,those brillaint clones makes up for several short comings. If you compare it to the newer version it could have been better.

you have done a nice review-well balanced.

i don't know why but i have always found the AT-TE's lacking of features and really boring but the episode 2 clones are cool

I'm quite surprised so many people don't like this set.

I quite like it. I even ended up buying a secound a few months ago. This model's biggest downfall is the fact it's in Old grey, but that is, of corse, un-avoidable due to it's age. It still looks very nice and I think it's a very nice set, and it's still better then half the CW nonsence lego seems to be releasing at the moment.

Not sure why everybody thinks the new one is so much better? I'll admit I haven't actully got the new one myself, but from the pictures it really doesn't look much better.

It came with the lovely EP.II clones, and wasn't too badly priced.

Good review for a good set :classic:

Man, it's been quiet in this subforum lately.

I was wondering how in the world the admins would allow a user to bump a year-old review for one opinionated sentence. Then I noticed he/she was new.

If you ask me, old grey is the least of the original LEGO AT-TE's problems. In fact, some may even consider it one of its redeeming qualities (despite the fact that bley looks closer to the grey shown in the Prequels).

A major point is the presence of the obscenely large gaps everywhere. I don't think even the 7259 ARC-170 had this bad of a problem. Those clones are practically ready to fall out! And it's not helped by the fact that as it is fairly close to minifigure scale this set should be able to hold around 20 clones, and that's after compensating for minifigures being more squat than actual people.

The squat legs are also a big problem. We've seen from numerous video games, comic books and the like that one of the advantages of a walker is the leverage from the ground (for increased stability, greater mobility, etc.); with six long legs, the AT-TE could very well use this to its advantage. I mean, just look at this! But the legs on this model are just so very stubby - I can hardly imagine this thing being able to walk. At least the newer 7675 had longer legs. I can tolerate the usual myriad of inaccuracies found in toys, but this is simply too glaring of an error! It doesn't capture the feel of the original.

The random colors are a bit of an eyesore, but it's early LEGO so it can't be helped.

This set is classic Lego star wars at its greatest, I really want this set, apart from the miss matched colours the set is perfect and just shows what TLG can do without going to extreme lengths to do it.

And fallenangel327 I think reviews can be bumped at any point.

I think FallenAngel hit the flaws right on the head. This model is very gappy, something the newer version fixed, somewhat. There are always going to be gaps when this type of technique is used. LEGO has gotten better at hiding the gaps with practice. When this set first came out, using plates at odd angles like this was new to the designers.

The lack of space for clones is an issue, but even the new one suffers from the same problem, without modifications.

Even with all it's flaws, I wouldn't mind having one in my collection.

Well of course they can be bumped but usually the admins only allow such bumps when there are signs of insightful discussion... not youtube-style "hey this is great" comments.

I don't understand this craze for minifigures lately, so I think the lack of exclusive figures in this set would be another redeeming factor. It keeps the price down and allows you to buy multiples without having to worry about how you'll get rid of that second stash of creepy Anakin minifigures...

The real thing:

http://www.modelermagic.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/kg_at-te_-010.jpg

I always thought it would be pretty neat if the AT-TE could kneel a bit when deploying troops, but so far I haven't come across any sources where it does that...

Edited by fallenangel327

You mean like the AT-AT? I guess the reason they don't have the AT-TE kneel is because they have the steps and ladders for the troopers and pneumatic lift for the AT-RTs.

Isn't that jedi that comes with the set exclusive?

You're probably thinking of Jedi Jimmy from 7163. :wink: Some have speculated that he was supposed to be George Lucas himself.

You're probably thinking of Jedi Jimmy from 7163. :wink: Some have speculated that he was supposed to be George Lucas himself.

Jedi Bob. :wink:

Further information about this Jedi's history is unknown due to the ransacking of the Jedi Temple during the Jedi Purge, which destroyed many records in the Archives.

These people are almost as bad as the spergs from Wookiepedia.

I didn't know they made an actual AT-TE model. I thought it was all CGI

These people are almost as bad as the spergs from Wookiepedia.

Actually, that's taken out of the LEGO Star Wars Visual Dictionary.
Jedi Bob

The end of the Clone Wars sees most Jedi killed and the Jedi Temple ransacked, with many records lost. All we know about this Jedi (whose name may have been Bob) is that he once flew on a Republic Gunship (set 7163).

Edited by Brickdoctor

I didn't know they made an actual AT-TE model. I thought it was all CGI

Same here, until I saw the gallery. :blush: Apparently, Attack of the Clones used a lot more studio models than one would have expected it to.