Sign in to follow this  
Captain Blackmoor

Horrible news!

OH NO! :pir_bawling: What was the cause of the fire? accident? sabotage? Too bad, one less 17century ship. :pir-hmpf_bad: ~LW 8~

The fire department suspects a problem in the kitchen, probably electrical.

Oh, bummer... Good thing it wasn't a real ship. :pir-classic:

Very sad.... It will be remembered, and at least soon we will have a lovely mini version made by our good green haired friend to remember it even better.

OH NO! :pir_bawling: What was the cause of the fire? accident? sabotage? Too bad, one less 17century ship. :pir-hmpf_bad: ~LW 8~

Oh, bummer... Good thing it wasn't a real ship. :pir-classic:

it is a real ship! here the vid:

Can any of the ship be salavaged for use in a future replica? Such a replica would at the very least would contain parts of the original.

The original Prins Willim sunk for the coasts of Madagaskar, it is probably rotten away now except for some details like pots and pans.

The currently burned Prince Willem had a hull of steel, the underwater part at least, and a steel skeleton. If they rebuild the ship they build it on the skeleton.

So far nothing is clear because it costs a lot of money and time to rebuild it. You need to find volunteers for the build and a good insurance too.

But I defenitely hope they rebuild her! :pir-cry_happy:

The Delft and the Zeven Provinciën are on the way too, so in a couple of years we have two ships back at least. :pir-blush:

So there is some hope, they will probably rebuild it because it's such a national treasure.

it is a real ship! here the vid:

He meens that it is a Replica, Not the real thing like very few ships nowheredays e.g. HMS Trincomalee, HMS Unicorn (Yes there is a real ship with the same name, not just a lego one) :pir_laugh2: , HMS Victory...

Can any of the ship be salavaged for use in a future replica? Such a replica would at the very least would contain parts of the original.

the front was sprayed wet bye the firedepartment, so there could be a possibility that this could be salvaged. I mean the bow with the lion

The original Prins Willim sunk for the coasts of Madagaskar, it is probably rotten away now except for some details like pots and pans.

The currently burned Prince Willem had a hull of steel, the underwater part at least, and a steel skeleton. If they rebuild the ship they build it on the skeleton.

So far nothing is clear because it costs a lot of money and time to rebuild it. You need to find volunteers for the build and a good insurance too.

But I defenitely hope they rebuild her! :pir-cry_happy:

The Delft and the Zeven Provinciën are on the way too, so in a couple of years we have two ships back at least. :pir-blush:

Didn't know about the Delft yet, but I know the Zeven Provinciën is by far the biggest of them all.

WARNING! Huge picture! - De Zeven Provinciën

De Delft official website

He meens that it is a Replica, Not the real thing like very few ships nowheredays e.g. HMS Trincomalee, HMS Unicorn (Yes there is a real ship with the same name, not just a lego one) :pir_laugh2: , HMS Victory...

none of the real ones are allowed to sail, nor able to. However, the 'Fryske Skûtsje' are still from that time and still sailing.

Dutch wiki

English wiki

Not much info, I know, but at least a start. These things are used for competitions now, sailing competitions. Also they are used for holidays, the owners offer people on holiday a spot on the boat and sail a specific route with several places to stop and sleep. Anyways, these things are pretty much left of that time and still going strong!

I am shocked by this!

Not so long ago I was standing next to this ship in Den Helder together with Captain Green Hair and Errorist. We couldn't go inside because the ship was not open that day. Now it seems I've lost my chance to visit it for good.

Here are some of the pics I took from the ship during my visit:

willim-1.jpg

willim-2.jpg

willim-3.jpg

willim-4.jpg

willim-5.jpg

It was such a beauty... It's sad that I have to remove my visit from the planning list. :pir-cry_sad:

I thought there were three lanterns at the stern, it seems to be I was wrong.

I thought there were three lanterns at the stern, it seems to be I was wrong.

No she had 2, and this is correct according to my book.

Some things on the replica weren't made correct, for instance they forgot to make the rear chaser gun ports.

Hopefully they rebuild her and make her prettyer then ever...

Maybe we should start up a fundraise for it?

I might be able to put her up for display in the Amsterdam naval museum, which is filled with VOC items and shipmodels.

Though it looks really cool in my living room too...

I think you should do it. You'd have your name immortalized in the minds of those that visit the Amsterdam Naval Museum. Plus, you might even get your name in the history books... just make sure you retain ownership rights to the model. Next time I get over to Europe, ANM is on my list of places to visit as long as the Air Force will let me get over there :pir-blush:

Also, when did the U.S.S. Constitution have a kitchen fire? A Google search didn't turn up anything and I glanced through the wikipedia article, but didn't see anyhting about it.

That'd be the worst naval tragedy of all... the world's oldest commissioned naval ship.

I'm beginning to start to think our fellow DUTCHMAN Captain Bluegreen Hair has something to do with the "accidental" fire! :pir-devil:

And now he wants to start up a fundraising to get it again into the news.

His ship will be sold for at least the double now :pir-laugh: .

Also, when did the U.S.S. Constitution have a kitchen fire? A Google search didn't turn up anything and I glanced through the wikipedia article, but didn't see anyhting about it.

That'd be the worst naval tragedy of all... the world's oldest commissioned naval ship.

It was a real small fire, not that important but it could have been much worser.

I've read about it quite long ago when I visited a book market. Before that I wasn't even familiar with the Constitution.

That's also one of the little things I remember from that book. I wish I bought it at that time since it was pretty awesome. :pir-sceptic:

And indeed, if the USS Constitution went down in flames... That would be a disaster. :pir-cry_sad: