Sign in to follow this  
Commodore Hornbricker

1st Annual Redcoat VS. Bluecoat Tournament of Retribution

Thank you to everyone who is participating. I hope you have all had a chance to read the rules. If you have questions you should PM your Team Captain. Team Captains can PM me or Zorro with questions.

Captain Green Hair and I have settled on Thursday, July 30 as the opening day of the tournament (we pushed it back a few days because of so much last minute interest). The final rules are at the bottom of this post.

Zorro will select the teams that face one another in round one of the tournament and will post the brackets here along with which of the teams facing one another are responsible for posting first on Thursday. On Thursday Zorro will open 4 unique threads (one for each of the four matches that will take place in round one of the tournament).

This thread should be locked so only Zorro may post updates as to schedule here.

Tournament Moderator:

Zorro

Readcoat Teams & Players

Bloody Brilliant Redcoats

Commodore Hornbricker (captain)

Hound Knight

Lego_warlord_8

Admiral M

Courageous Redcoat Company

Sir Wellington (captain)

Joey Lock

Lt. Col. Thok

Paul Cantu

Raging Redcoat Regiment

nintha (captain)

Tinn-man

Little Builder

~MaYo~

Ravenous Redcoats

Skipper 24 (captain)

jansued

Col. Long

Talon Karrde

Bluecoat Teams and Players

Blue Thunder

Captain Blue Hair (captain)

Ynykly

Admiral Bejaune

Dr. Steve

Bluecoat Team 2 (Name to be determined)

Stash2sixx (captain)

Martinsuper

General Armendariz

Frontbeast

Bluecoat Team 3 (Name to be determined)

Dwarfinator (captain)

Black Rabbit

Teddi Gramz

erined5

Out of the Blue

Captain Zuloo (captain)

Lord Falkner

Crystal

Destrodacre

Judges:

L-Space

Emperor Claudius Rome

Thrash

Adam

Zepher

Dragonater

Sir Gecko

How the Tournament will work:

The First Annual Redcoats vs. Bluecoats Tournament of Retribution

General purpose: The primary purpose of the tournament is to have FUN at the expense of the opposing side (Redcoats vs. Bluecoats).

The Tournament objective: WIN by creating the funniest, most brutal, outlandish Vigs/Bigs representing your side causing the most humiliating, physical, emotional harm to the other side (as represented by their sides minifigures Red vs. Blue). Think like the old spy vs. spy comics. For the purpose of this game Redcoats and Bluecoats represent no national origin so pick which minifigure you like best.

How the tournament will work:

- It will be team based. We will have 4 members per team. There are 4 teams per side (RED & BLUE)

- Each team will alternate posting a Vig (i.e. Redcoats one day Bluecoats the next) until each member of the team has posted two vigs. Individuals on a team must alternate their posting so they don't post for their team two times in a row.

- We will have multiple teams competing during each round (except the final round of course).

- Each team must have a name which contains their side (Red or Blue) and at least one other unique identifying word. Team names can not be more than 4 words long.

- During each round a unique thread will be started in the Classic-Pirates MOC Forum by the Tournament Moderator (i.e. Tournament of Retribution - Redcoat Warriors vs. Bluecoat Soldiers - Round 1). The Tournament Moderator will be entrusted to flip a coin to determine which side goes first (Redcoat Teams will always be heads and Bluecoat teams will always be tails). Once determined the Tournament Moderator will inform the team captains of the posting order.

- The Tournament begins on Thursday, July 30, 2009. The teams going first will post on Thursday. The teams going second will post on Friday, etc. on alternating days and they continue on the back and forth until all team members have posted two submissions. Failure to post on your teams day results in the team losing that turn in the rotation and judges as asked to make an appropriate reduction in that teams final score.

Tournament Moderator: Admiral Zorro is responsible for randomly selecting the opposing teams that face each other in each round and randomly assigning which teams go first. The moderator will track the judges votes and declare the head to head winner and in accordance with the rules make preparations for the next round. The moderator is entrusted to interpret the rules of the tournament and use his/her judgment on any issues not specifically addressed by the rules but must stay within the spirit of the tournament.

Tournament Judges: Judges need to be impartial on the subject of Redcoats & Bluecoats and should have a wicked sense of humor and a high tolerance for the absurd. Judges can not serve on a team. We have seven judges. After each member of each team has posted two submissions in accordance with the rules the judges through PM or other means will determine the winning team based on the purpose and objective of the Tournament.

- Building techniques and quality should have no direct bearing on the voting but those types of factors may of course indirectly affect how well a judge feels the teams overall work meets the criteria of the tournament.

- No voting for your friends just because they are your friends - you're a judge for crying out loud (exceptions to this rule will be made if the judge can produce evidence that a bribe was paid that no reasonable person could turn down).

- The winning team will advance to the next round and the process will repeat itself until a winning side is identified.

- Because the Tournament is seeking to identify a winning side vs. a winning team it will be over when a side wins EXAMPLE: If in the first Round three Redcoat Teams win and only one Bluecoat team wins then the remaining Bluecoat team will face the top rated Redcoat Team (as determined by the judges from the 1st round. If the remaining Bluecoat team wins that second round then they will face the next highest rated Redcoat team from the 1st round (as determined by the judges) in round three and so on. Once there are no more teams from a side remaining the other side is declared the victor.

- Each individual judge may determine their own methodology for rendering their decision but must select a single winning side in each team faceoff.

- The judges may talk amongst themselves about entries and may or may not decide to have some uniform methodology for evaluation.

- Once the teams have submitted their required two entries per team member (eight total entries per side) and the submissions have ended for that head to head completion the judges have 48 hours to post their individual decisions. Judges are encouraged to be as wickedly funny and brutal as possible in rendering their decision but need to specifically declare their vote for the winning team.

The Rules for the Teams & additional direction for Judges: There aren't many.

- Lego only with the exception of aftermarket products (Brickforge, etc.) which are allowed. Customization, stickers and paper is also allowed.

- It's not about building, it's about funny story telling through the use of Lego depicting senseless violence and other nonsensical behavior toward Redcoats or Bluecoats but build as much or as little as you need to.

- Each individual submission can have up to ten sequences (10 images total per submission) like a little comic strip depicting a sequence of events.

- Each image must have text associated with it. The text can be dialog of the characters or a narrative description similar to what would be found in a comic strip or a combination. Judges may deduct points if they feel you provided too much or too little dialog but no value is to be assigned to how good the dialog boxes look.

- You may use avatars if you wish in your submissions but the judges are not to assign any additional value to the use of avatars on either side. The use of avatars is limited to the avatars of members who have entered the tournament as team members (not judges or the moderator). Participants on a team agree by joining the tournament to have their avatars abused in whatever way other teams see fit to abuse them.

- Participants can use any other Lego factions, themes, sets, etc. as they see fit as long as at least one Redcoat and one Bluecoat appears in each submission submission.

- Redcoats include both old and new redcoats with one exception. Because there are no new bluecoats the new governor will be playing for the Bluecoats in this game.

About Spectators: Spectators are asked to :

- Not post about the building techniques but rather about how funny, gross, outlandish the submission is.

- They are encouraged to discuss and expand on the story as it has been presented in funny and outlandish ways.

- They are asked to only post on the most recent submission in each head to head competition.

Team Prizes Bragging Rights

Individual Prizes. After the Tournament is over and a side declared victorious by the Tournament Moderator a poll will be opened for the general membership to vote on a single MVP from each side (1 Red and 1 Blue) who they feel did the most for their side. The two MVP's will each receive a Soldiers Fort from myself and Captain Green Hair.

The MVP (on the winning side only) will also win a custom art creation - created and donated by Apache who does amazing drawings.

These are the final rules only subject to Zorro's interpritation from this point forward.

Only [timer]07/30/2009 00:01 GMT[/timer] until RvB begins!

And I'd be more than happy to captain a team. :pir-classic:

Done, now assemble your team mates on the double and give us a team name! :pir_laugh2:

Would it be possible for one of the Admins to activate the PM for Col. Long so we can communicate with him? Thanks

Done! :pir-wink:

Would all the new Blue team Captains also submit their team names?

Names can be no more then 4 words and must contain the word Blue.

I nominate "Burly Bullish Blue Behemoths" for the name for bluecoats team #4.

I'm sending you a PM so we can discuss this with the rest of the team. :pir-wink:

After Captain Green Hair constantly bugging me about it :pir-laugh:, we have decided on a name:

Drumroll...

Out of the Blue

:pir-classic:

The winners of the first line of games of the Tournament are known, please discuss here what will be done next, when you guys want to start the next round, which rules you want to see changed and such...

I'll take a stab at a few options. Here is where we are at. Round 1 is completed and three Bluecoat teams won their matches and one Redcoat Team won its match.

Options that have been suggested for next steps:

Option 1: The Bluecoats pick from their three teams which one will compete against the remaining Redcoat Team in round two.

Option 2: The three Bluecoat teams go head to head against each other with the winning Bluecoat Team going against the remaining Redcoat Team. (my personal favorite)

Option 3: We declare the Tournament completed and based on the outcome of round 1 the Bluecoats will have won with a score of 3 to 1.

Rule changes that have been suggested. Only one entry per team member (rather than 2). Each team will have 8 days to post all their team entries (no assigned days). We can make some personnel changes to the teams before the next round starts to accomodate absenses, etc.).

OK, I think option 2 is the fairest too, and if you want too you can already change the rules that were proposed since I do not think anyone is against them.

May I just add my personal idea first? My idea is as follows:

The three bluecoat teams battle it out for supreme team. Then they face against a team of redcoats hand picked by the judges.

What do you say?

May I just add my personal idea first? My idea is as follows:

The three bluecoat teams battle it out for supreme team. Then they face against a team of redcoats hand picked by the judges.

What do you say?

I like it! :thumbup:

If that were the case shouldn't the judges also hand pick the final bluecoat players? Like an All-Star Match.

But it seems to me like the original players from the redcoat team that won and whatever players from the bluecoat team that wins have earned the right to go forward (with the exception of needed substitutions for absenses).

We can always do an All-Star round just for fun after the Tournament is over or for a fun bet like the loosing All-Star Team members have to change their sig fig into the oppossing sides uniform for a month or have an opposing team flag and supporting comment on their signature for a month.

That last issue aside for a moment. It looks like we agree on the fact that the three Bluecoat teams are going to face off to select a winner before we have to address the final blue-red show down. It also looks like we will make those minor changes to the rules. So for now I think the three team captains from those blueteams need to talk with their teammebers to see if everyone is availabe and figure out when they will start and finish their little inner conference playoff match.

Edited by Commodore Hornbricker

At least it would be nice if something would happen before the whole thing is forgotten...

Regards, JanSued

In this case we can also have 1 blue team going against another and 1 blue team going against the red winning team to get to 2 finalists.

If the blue teams battle it out first, the red team gets of to easy IMO...

In this case we can also have 1 blue team going against another and 1 blue team going against the red winning team to get to 2 finalists.

If the blue teams battle it out first, the red team gets of to easy IMO...

Although I'm not in the competition, I offered the suggestion to transform martinsuper's Bluecoat team into a Blackcoat team. That way you can have blue vs. red and blue vs. black for the semi-final. The final would then only be a problem if again the two blue teams won.

I agree with my name- and country-sharing captain that the reds would get off a little too easy if they didn't have to go through a semi-final.

I like the idea of round 2 not being a competitive round as such as a showing off round and for the blue teams only. The judges pick the best from each team to battle it out against the red team in the grand final. I think that's best because the blue teams will have to come up with awesome MOCs to stay in the game.

There will be a massive Classic-Pirates contest launching 1st October, so this should ideally have wrapped up by then :pir-wink:

There will be a massive Classic-Pirates contest launching 1st October, so this should ideally have wrapped up by then :pir-wink:

Ooh, I can't wait! :pir-sweet: