Sign in to follow this  
TechnicJuan

Technic Exotic Supercar

crowkillers did alot of things right with this new model. I have the entire chassis built just from the pics that he provided. The modular design is excellent. I love how the steering meshes together. The transmission is also more compact than any I have seen or built, and I could see this being released as an official set from lego themselves. I wish that he would do instructions. crowkillers if you are out there, please buy a new camera! :tongue:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=377300

crow800.jpg

crow804.jpg

crow950.jpg

His chassis are awesome, with ingenious ideas of transmission and suspension, and overall realism, but i really do not like body of the cars. Flex tubes, and big gaps are just not good enough for such good chassis.

I am not a big fan of the Flex tubes and panels either. But Paul's whole concept is studless design. And I can respect that. Looking at what he can do with only studless parts makes you wonder what he could do with the whole catalogue of studded parts that Lego has to offer. I do like how he did the Doors on this model though. That was pretty slick.

I e-mailed him last week and he is supposedly working on instructions for this car(I've heard that from him before :classic: ) From what I was led to believe he has 2 body designs for the chassis depending on whether the engine was mounted in the front or the rear(Middle)

He also sent me some pictures of new ideas that he had as well as where he does his building. He has TONS of parts, and I mean TONS. As an example he had 1 case with at least 10,000 small friction pins and 10,000 blue pins. But then again when you have crazy people out there paying him over $1000 for a custom model, I guess he can afford to buy parts in bulk. :tongue:

Studless is much easier way to finish body and it is way long from realism.

Just look to firas abu jaber on mocpages. His cars are IMO the best looking studded cars on world, he uses tiles and slopes, but still those are not studless.

Well, that early-2000s look with the open exterior and flex axles is the main attraction of Crowkillers' models. Official Technic sets don't necessarily look realistic in that respect, but are based on a particular style where the interior mechanisms of the model are intentionally made visible.

The functions on this car are good, but pretty standard. They seem to be more or less identical to 8448, with front wheel steering and rear wheel drive.

The Only problem that I can see with a fully studded body on a car that is 1:8 scale would be weight. firas abu jaber 's cars are very very nice and detailed but as you said not studless. I would imagine that it would be very difficult to make a nice body style out of all studless parts. I think Paul did(And has done in the past) a great job in this building aspect. Nathanael Kuipers is the only othet guy out there whose models simply blow me away.

Personally I think that building a nice body with studless pieces is much more difficult than if you use traditional bricks because you must change your whole perspective on how you build.

I guess the whole "Studless" build isn't everyone's cup of tea. I personally think this is a great model, even with the body being designed out of tubes and panels. I also disagree with a studless body design being easier to do. being far more limited with parts(And colors) makes for a much more difficult project. Having to fix Being off a stud while building a body with studded parts is as easy as clicking a brick, but being off a stud building studless is a whole new problem. I know this because my models always turn out looking like crap. Alex Zorko's Challenger is without a doubt the nicest studded body design that I have seen on any model.

While I agree that a Nice studded body Looks 100% better than non-Studded body, personally the challenge involved with creating a great studless model can only truely be respected by builders who enjoy that perticular field more than any other.

And while this design may just be "Standard" to some of you. I have found many unique ideas while I replicated crow's design.

For example:

Just look at this engine mounting works, it keeps the crankshaft and where it mounts true. This was something that plagued me for years with my models. I just never thought of something like this.

crow976.jpg

Everybody has its own point of interest, either studs or studless.

The best thing is we can use the best from both.

In my models i use mainly studs, but would probably stuck without those 5% of studless.

It is just that i would never want my model has blocky look or huge hollow sections, which it is almost impossible to fill with studless.

It is important that we all enjoy building, studless or not,

having fun is final goal.

I can certainly appreciate 100% studless MOCs, even though I don't usually build such models myself. I agree that completely studless models are hard to build, not because of the part selection but because of how they are built inside-out instead of bottom-to-top. It forces you to think several steps ahead to end up with strong and compact assemblies. I don't think this is a good thing for official Technic sets, but as far as MOCs go it makes for an interesting challenge.

I'm not sure what is so special about that engine though. I see the 1.5 dark gray pins used as stoppers, but there will still be a small amount of slack there and it would be better to just use the piece specifically designed to hold the engine blocks in place.

That official engine piece does work well, but like I said it isn't true with the crankshaft. With this design you have the crankshaft and the bottom holes with the engine blocks lined up one stud ontop of the other making it easier to attatch using those bottom holes. I built it and it does have very minimal slack. I only used this as an example because I have not seen anyone else using other installations for engines like this. :classic:

I really like a car like this. I don't care if a model got holes or whatever it has, for me Technic is about building structures and mechanisms in three dimensions. To me studless building is real Technic, and studded building is way too much like building with System bricks. One brick on top of another.

I really like a car like this. I don't care if a model got holes or whatever it has, for me Technic is about building structures and mechanisms in three dimensions. To me studless building is real Technic, and studded building is way too much like building with System bricks. One brick on top of another.

This is actually one of several things I like about studded construction. It looks and feels like genuine Lego, and fits well into the Lego system as a whole. I use a fair amount of both types of construction in my MOCs though.