Sign in to follow this  
cole

[MOC] Hoth on ice

indexed.gif

I've been wanting to try somthing like this for quite a while, but only got around to it last night.

I made some small snow covered rocks and a frozen rebel, then stuck them onto some plastercene so they don't float. I put that into a plastic container filled with water then let it sit in the freezer overnight. To get the little beads of ice on the mountain part you have to take it out every now and then and spray a little water on it.

3759550460_bd228d134a_o.jpg

3758754227_b1129378af_o.jpg

3758754509_e6b6bd657c_o.jpg

3759550764_0ac1212c0a_o.jpg

I was a bit worried it might damage the bricks, but I can't see any warping or cracking.

Well thats something diffent, nice creative use there :)

It should be ok, what are you going to do with it? keep it in the freezer?

Wow this is awsome, It's not often I like MOC's this much, but I REALLY :wub: this. Well done, very creative. I love the positioning of the rebel. The entire effect of the ice works great.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: / :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

looks great but I dont know if thats good for the pieces :sceptic: . I really like the white face for the rebel and the little ice balls on the lego looks really good.

Great job on the whole moc and would like to see more of this technique

Very nice... and funny: had a quite similar idea. i#m just waiting for my hoth set to arrive... wante to put a taun-taun in the freezer to make it look like in the film when it's covered with snow and ice. looks like i'm 5 days late...

Ive done something similar to a $1 final-duel-2 Luke bought from bricklink.

Chuck it into a plastic bag filled with water and left it in the freezer.

Felt guilty about it months later, how could I have treated my precious minifigs to such torture ! :blush:

Edited by green dewback

Very creative :thumbup: One suggestion would be to scratch the ice to make it look worn and torn

Very nice and innovative. Do let us know if you find any damage to the Lego. I suspect heat will be a bigger worry than cold? Going slightly off topic but I wonder what the temperature range for Lego pieces are.

It's been over a day and I see no damage to the bricks or minifig, so I think it should be safe as long as you don't do it too often.

Very nice and innovative. Do let us know if you find any damage to the Lego. I suspect heat will be a bigger worry than cold? Going slightly off topic but I wonder what the temperature range for Lego pieces are.

An old catalog that I have from the late 80's recommends keeping Lego pieces under 110 degrees Fahrenheit.

Freezing the Lego fig is a very creative idea and it looks like it turned out nicely too. I wouldn't imagine that freezing a figure would do much damage. I'd be more interested to see how the figure was after it thawed, i.e. is it more brittle etc.

Freezing the Lego fig is a very creative idea and it looks like it turned out nicely too. I wouldn't imagine that freezing a figure would do much damage. I'd be more interested to see how the figure was after it thawed, i.e. is it more brittle etc.

Why do I now have a strange compulsion to try this with a Han Solo minifg? :tongue:

Why do I now have a strange compulsion to try this with a Han Solo minifg? :tongue:

Hahaha. That's funny. Actually if you get some really dark colour water (probably not coffee or coke since that I suspect that will really damage your minifig) and freeze that in a block with Han in it ... we might get the effect we want. That will beat the printed brick that we have to live with currently.

Using this technique I think we can create an awesome Wampa Cave scene.

HAHA :laugh: Nice technique :thumbup::wub:

This looks like a very good idea for Hoth scenes :thumbup:

I'll have to try it when I can bring myself to freeze Han :cry_sad::laugh:

CommanderFox

Great idea, too bad you couldn't get a bigger piece of ice, but I understand with the freezer only being so big.

I like this technique a lot. It would be nice on a big scale but like others said it is hard due to the size of freezers. Anyway I like it a lot and I might have to try this myself.

Hahaha. That's funny. Actually if you get some really dark colour water (probably not coffee or coke since that I suspect that will really damage your minifig) and freeze that in a block with Han in it ... we might get the effect we want. That will beat the printed brick that we have to live with currently.
Just find some way to dye the water black, and it would work perfectly. I would try to build a little (4 stud wide, one brick thick, one brick taller than a minifig) case out of bricks, then set Han in it with arms pointing outward, (maybe detach arms for desired pose?) and freeze.

Could always use some paint with the water... you could probably make a case with those transparent bricks to make sure the water with paint in it doesn't get inside and risk coloring the fig.. if it'd color it that is.. not sure.. got to try this sometime. :pir_laugh2: And... Perhaps this might be a way to preserve Minifigures and other small pieces in mint condition. ;)

Edited by Davy_Blocks

That looks very good. I love how to rebel is right underneath the snowtroopers.

Be careful with ice though. It can cause lego to crack. :hmpf_bad: