Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Substituting 4.5/12V Train Wheels

traintech1.jpg

I was wondering:

I've been building a number of classic 12V trains using 9V train wheels for rolling stock. I don't own any classic train wheels, but have any of you tried substituting 4.5/12V train wheels with regular wheels from the same era. The most obvious difference is the larger inner rim that would help the wheel stay on the track. Without this rim, do you think that the (x425) wheel would stay on the track? Also, for those of you familiar w/12V trains, does one also need the rubber to go around the wheel for added friction?

I might have to give it a try.

x556.1147564446.jpg 4.5/12V Train Wheel

x425.1069852212.jpg Wheel Centre Spoked Small with Stud (x425) (Regular Wheel)

It should work,

I've used these before as train wheels for a Maintenance train:

3482.gif

The technic wheel works decent on the track, just not high speeds, I think your wheels should work too.

I used them when I was a kid because I didn't have much train stuff. So, from a kid's point of view and standard: yes, they definitely work on straights, and I think on curves, too, if you don't go too fast. You will most likely derail on points, though, because of the outer rim of the wheel. Then again, if you don't go too fast you might even pass a point, but not without the wagon "jumping" when the outer rim of the one wheel has to go over the track.

Okay - I tried replacing some on my recent Green Boxcar. While they seem to work okay (haven't tried them on points yet), I must admit that I don't like how they look:

gb5.jpg

I'm not sure if it's the color or the smaller size (or both), but not too fond of them. I've got quite a few of these red wheels from old sets and thought I might be able to put them to use.