Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Cargo Train Competition

All things considered, which cargo train do you like better?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favorite

• 4512 9V Cargo Train
    • 7898 R/C Cargo Train Deluxe

traintech1.jpg

cargotrains.jpg

World City Cargo Train 4512 produced in 2003 was a splendid 9V train set complete with Euro-style diesel engine, a boxcar, hopper, and cargo wagon. With a complete oval of track, switch point, and track end, how does it stack up to the R/C Cargo Train produced three years later in 2006? That's right, 7898 Cargo Train Deluxe. Sporting a green R/C crocodile-style engine, Cargo Train Deluxe also includes a boxcar, hopper, and cargo wagon, but also adds a crane car not offered in Lego trains since 4552 in 1995. And for some added fun, the track assortment includes two switch points as well as a new R/C controller that has a train whistle -Hoo! Hooooo!

9V vs. R/C...

Cargo Train against Cargo Train...

All things considered, which set do you like better?

Both truly great train sets!

I owned 4512 a few years ago when it came out but (for some reason I'm still not sure of) sold it soon after. It was a great set and the 9v motor was good and powerful.

I have recently bought 7898 and although the RC is not as good (underpowered and battery heavy) the features of the set make up for it. The crane unit and the flatbed truck are sets in themselves. The extra track and additional points are nice to have too. Only criticism is the old fashioned US-style driver and the ugly forklift.

Both amazing sets but I voted for 7898 due to it's extra features.

Cheers

Rog

While I like the 9V system much better than the Cargo Train Deluxe R/C system, I really like the rolling stock that comes with 7898. Having both sets, 7898 has a huge "play value" with its accessories and extras.

I love the crane car that can be a stand alone set (an excellent addition). The boxcar is also pretty nice. I must also admit that I enjoy pressing the train horn on the R/C controller - makes me feel like a conductor. :blush:

I like the loco in the older cargo train better though. While the newer 7898 has the nice green train doors and the single molded front ends, the overall engine seems a bit long and plain, esp. in the middle.

My vote goes to 7898 though.

I must also admit that I enjoy pressing the train horn on the R/C controller - makes me feel like a conductor. :blush:

You're not the only one dude! :tongue:

That's a great and very interesting topic, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

I voted for

7898 R/C Cargo Train Deluxe

but must say that it was a very hard decision to make since there are pros and cons for both sets:

4512 Cargo Train:

Cons:

-gold pieces - since when is gold transported with the train?! :hmpf:

-mainly only very small wagons :sadnew:

-no doors for the conductor to get inside the engine :thumbdown:

Pros:

-9 V system :thumbup: - which I prefer over all other systems and mainly over RC/PF

-bumper :thumbup:

-diesel engine :wub: - goes imo with a cargo train much better than an electric engine

7898 R/C Cargo Train Deluxe:

Cons:

-electric engine for a cargo train :sceptic:

-truck and car without doors :thumbdown:

Pros:

-doors inside the engine :thumbup:

-three additional vehicles for more play value :thumbup:

-crane wagon :thumbup:

-more cargo :thumbup: (although imo still too less)

Klaus-Dieter

7898. It's a great set and if I had the room I'd buy a second. The inclusion of both points is a huge plus in terms of layout; I bought an extra track pack as well as 7897 and I had more than I could handle! I did find that the wheels spun too easily, but I think that's more a traction issue. I must confess that the blue truck was a strong reason for me to want that set.

(I loved the horn too. I hid the remote in my pocket one time when I was playing Monopoly and pressed the button whenever someone landed on a railroad! :grin: )

Disclaimer: I don't own any 9V trains, so I can't do a true comparison.

I would say 4512 because it brings back memories. Just a side note though, I don't have any trains so I can't make a formal comparison

7730-1-1004648402.jpg and 7727-1-1004648445.jpg

Oh, not in the poll... what a shame...

But to answer your question: 4512, because you can make a 7760 out of the locomotive...

That´s a really interesting poll, Brickster!

I only own 4512 (actually my son does :blush: ), but I have to admit I voted for 7898.

And that mainly for the reasons, Brickster already pointed out:

While I like the 9V system much better than the Cargo Train Deluxe R/C system, I really like the rolling stock that comes with 7898. Having both sets, 7898 has a huge "play value" with its accessories and extras.

The great accessories made me buy the blue truck, the forklift and the cargo (packed in their own polybags!) off ebay. :classic:

I wasn´t sure about the RC-trains at that time and still I am. Having built my first RC-train some days ago (I got the chassis on last years event in Günzburg and bought the controller at Bricklink´s) I love the sound of the motor - sounding like a tram :wub: , but I don´t like the idea of being captured to waste batteries on it. The horn, well we´ve read enough about it... :grin:

Cons:

-gold pieces - since when is gold transported with the train?! :hmpf:

This is no "Con" - it´s a "Pro"! :tongue:

These chrome gold tiles are so rare, I´m glad they were included to this set.

-diesel engine :wub: - goes imo with a cargo train much better than an electric engine

-electric engine for a cargo train :sceptic:

I agree with you: The diesel engine fits better to a cargo train, BUT I like the 7898 engine better. Great parts to MOC with. Maybe ... some day ... I´ll get it.

(I loved the horn too. I hid the remote in my pocket one time when I was playing Monopoly and pressed the button whenever someone landed on a railroad! :grin: )

Well, okay - I won´t comment. :grin:

But to answer your question: 4512, because you can make a 7760 out of the locomotive...

:tongue: Nice logic! (BTW, I fixed your flag.)

I don't own any trains (yet?), but the play value of 7898 definitely made me vote for this set. Also the crane wagon is a really nice addition to the set.

Wow! Even considering that 7898 isn't 9V, I'd say it's doing pretty well compared to 4512. I'm definately in agreement over the reasons why train fans like 7898 better. Perhaps I'll share some pictures for comparison.

I don't own the 7898, so it's clear for which train I will vote. The 4512 was my first LEGO train (not counting the first Hogwarts Express without rails) and it's still my favorite train. I like the engine very much, the color sheme is good. The other wagons were just for simple cargo boxes, but the one to transport gold was very good designed. And I like the figures. It's only four or five years ago I bought this outstanding set, I built it on the floor in my parents' bedroom because there I had the place doing it. And I loved the set, but when I wanted to let it go on the tracks, it didn't want to ride! I panicked. But then I saw I had placed the electric connections on the same side. :tongue: Ah, such a great set. One of the sets I haven't broken down.

I must say the 7898 looks also very interesting, the blue truck looks excellent. So does the crocodile look of the green engine. And the amount of tracks is also good for playing value. But it's remote controlled, not 9V, so I won't buy it. I never will. It's impossible to combine the two, so I'll just stick with 9V.

7898 has alot of play value, but I don't care for the RC system, so the track, power, and transmitter are all useless to me. I'll stick with 4512.

If 7898 goes on sale, I'll pick one up as a great parts pack, but I definitely won't be buying one at full price.

I have to say that I think that 4512 is better than 7898. Not only does 4512's engine make more sense pulling a "cargo train", it also has a very nice box car with great detail, and it even included a crate of gold bars! A rarity I think is really cool.

It's impossible to combine the two, so I'll just stick with 9V.

Why can't you combine them? The RC train will run fine on 9V tracks...

Cheers

Rog

I think the 9V system is better, but the 4512 is the worst 9V cargo train set. However, I voted for this one, since it has more possibilities to expend (the RC train base isn't very useful).

...the RC train base isn't very useful.

I wouldn´t say that!

Use your imagination! It´s Lego after all! :wink:

This is what I made out of it:

krokodil_3.jpg

YES, WE CAN! :tongue:

This is no "Con" - it´s a "Pro"! :tongue:

These chrome gold tiles are so rare, I´m glad they were included to this set.

You bought the whole set only because of the gold pieces?! Wouldn't e. g. the Armoured Car Action then be much less expensive than buying the cargo train?! :grin: (only joking)

But I understand that since I haven't got any of those gold nuggets.

Nevertheless imo some other cargo stuff like e. g. some barrels or boxes would have been more suitable and would even have been a better possibility for playing.

Klaus-Dieter

Wouldn't e. g. the Armoured Car Action then be much less expensive than buying the cargo train?! :grin: (only joking)

Guess what - I bought three copies of it! :tongue::grin:

Gold!

GOLD!

ALL MINE! :cry_happy: