Sign in to follow this  
Modulex Guy

My Vintage LEGO collection.

I thought I would share with all of you some of my Vintage LEGO sets and parts.

The Pictures really speak for themselves.

Enjoy:

Biplane:

P1050889.jpg

Out of the box:

P1050890.jpg

Tractor:

P1050891.jpg

Tractor:

P1050892.jpg

Mobile crane:

P1050893.jpg

Mobile Crane

P1050894.jpg

Rescue Vehicles

P1050895.jpg

Rescue Vehicles

P1050896.jpg

Fork lift:

P1050897.jpg

Fork lift:

P1050898.jpg

Instructions:

P1050899.jpg

1:87 Mercedes tanker:

P1050900.jpg

1:87 garages, VW beetle, VW Karmann Ghia.

P1050901.jpg

1:87 garages, VW beetle, VW Karmann Ghia.

P1050902.jpg

the three 1:87s together:

P1050903.jpg

LEGO Modulex!!!

P1050904.jpg

Few things I built with the Modulex bricks:

P1050905.jpg

Modulex Bricks compared to a standard LEGO brick:

P1050906.jpg

LEGO Jumbo:

P1050907.jpg

LEGO Jumbo:

P1050908.jpg

Hope you liked my show of a bit of history. :thumbup:

That's a fairly nice collection you got there. I didn't know about these Modulex bricks tho, they're kinda cute! Do you have any more info on them? Must be worth lots of cash aswell.

Thanks for the share :thumbup:

Edited by Perterz

That's a fairly nice collection you got there. I didn't know about these Modulex bricks tho, they're kinda cute! Do you have any more info on them? Must be worth lots of cash aswell.

Thanks for the share :thumbup:

Modulex was a company made by the LEGO group in the early 60's intended for adults as a architectural series.

Very nice vintage collection! I'm rather jealous. I love the Moduex bricks, they're so tiny. :grin:

Glad you like them. :thumbup:

Wow(insert jaw-drop emote here). I never knew those sets even existed. How long have you been collecting?

about 1 year, all this stuff came from estate sales, auctions and other places.

Wow, the condition those are in is amazing! :wub:

I didn't know that they made those modulex bricks, and that display case for the car is nice. Thank you for sharing :classic:

Wow, the condition those are in is amazing! :wub:

I didn't know that they made those modulex bricks, and that display case for the car is nice. Thank you for sharing :classic:

The little cases the cars are in are the actual packaging that these cars were sold in! they just had a little paper wrapper around them to keep the car from falling out.

I am loving the modulex bricks. Lucky you to have such a nice vintage collection!

I have to second that I had never heard of modulex before now.

I wasn't aware of those transparent car cases before :thumbup:

The first sets you showed are quite familiar to me, as they feature in a catalogue my uncle has in his old Lego box from that era. It's surprising to me that they used the plate/tile between 2 studs SNOT technique back then, as nowadays it is considered an "illegal move", as it stresses the bricks over time, as the gap between the studs is (microscopically) too small.

More on Modulex can be found on page 6 of this article :wink:

Thanks for sharing :wub:

Wow, that's an awesome vintage LEGO collection, Polish Guy!

Those non-System LEGO cars are cool, as well as the garages. Are the cars made of plastic, or metal?

It's weird how Modulex ended up as an architectural sign company. But it's cool how they mention that they were founded by the LEGO Group. :classic:

Anyways, I like how there are Modulex brick-tiles (a piece the size of a brick, but with a flat top). It would be great if LEGO decided to make this piece.

Also, that LEGO jumbo brick is so cool that I can't find another synonym of awesome/cool to describe it. :laugh:

Do you remember how you got it? And is the bottom just like a normal LEGO brick (can it fit with other jumbo bricks?)?

The Modulex bricks are awesome. I didn't know of their existence either before I saw this thread. It's interesting that they appear in some colors that did not exist in normal Lego until many years later.

The first sets you showed are quite familiar to me, as they feature in a catalogue my uncle has in his old Lego box from that era. It's surprising to me that they used the plate/tile between 2 studs SNOT technique back then, as nowadays it is considered an "illegal move", as it stresses the bricks over time, as the gap between the studs is (microscopically) too small.

There have been quite a few sets in the past, even in the 1990s, that used what would be considered illegal techniques today. TLG only started to take that seriously six or seven years ago.

Edited by CP5670

:oh3: Modulex are rare vintage? Aw.. I just missed out 15 kg (!) of them on a yard sale for $50. I didn´t buy them because they weren´t LEGO size.. :cry_sad:

:oh3: Modulex are rare vintage? Aw.. I just missed out 15 kg (!) of them on a yard sale for $50. I didn´t buy them because they weren´t LEGO size.. :cry_sad:

:sing:Aaaargh!

How could you... :cry_sad:

Nice collection you have there!

I have some of the 1:87 garages, but i didn't know what they were as the doors were missing.

I think they might make nice shopwindows without them perhaps.......

Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

You must not have slept that night then.. :cry_sad:

Glad everyone likes all my Vintage LEGO!

I'm still waiting for an order of 2000 more modulex bricks! I'll post pics once they come in.

:thumbup:

What a shame...I would have asked to buy them from you if you got them. :grin:

Woah, I didn't know that LEGO had ever made 1:87 (?) scale vehicles. Also those modulex are pretty neat looking, I might have to see how expensive they are. Also, you're orange MOC is great... it's like a spirally tubish building-thing with no walls! :tongue:

Yay! the mailman brought me a nice box today!

More Modulex!!!

The Boxes:

P1050914.jpg

The bricks: 2x2 brown & black, 1x2 brown & black, 2x5 brown & black.

P1050915.jpg

My entire Modulex collection together:

P1050916.jpg

Each brick up close:

P1050917.jpg

I'll be building a small MOC with these tonight, I'll post pictures when I will finish. :thumbup:

That is a fantastic collection. it is nice to see there are other people out there that collect the weird or rare LEGO sets. I have been collecting older sets for about 5 years and it is great when you come across something you have not seen before. To answer the one question about the jumbo bricks, yes they do fit into other larger bricks. They were a precursor to the duplo sets, TLG did not stick with it because it was incompatible with the other LEGO products. They were produced in the 60's. I won a set on e-bay with them, it included the original box and 60 red, white and blue bricks. The box was very plain on the outside, so I thought it was a promotional set. Thankfully at Brickworld this past June I got a chance to ask Kjeld Kristiansen personally about the set, he told me it was a retail set from either 1966 or 1967. I was so star struck I forgot to ask him for an autograph. :sad: Hind site is 20/20 and I was truly bummed, but atleast I got to talk to him one on one and that was by far the coolest thing ever. He is such a humble person and easy to talk to.

Wow, I just found this thread; the Modulex has got me excited.

I've got a whole heap of the stuff in the loft at the family home; I inherited it from a friend back in the 80s when he moved to South Africa. As I recall, he got it from his dad who's company had used it for modelling a display of their factory. I made spaceships out of it. When I dig it out, I'll share some pics with you.

I didn't know anyone else had ever heard of it, and I didn't know it had anything to do with Lego. All I know is that it was impossible to combine with standard Lego.

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Rufus

This deserves a place in a museum.

They are in such nice condition as well.

Thanks for sharing.

This deserves a place in a museum.

They are in such nice condition as well.

Thanks for sharing.

What? the Modulex? Nah, I rather play with it. :grin:

P1060029.jpg

My Modulex castle. :thumbup:

That Modulex sure is shiny considering its age! They must have been well-preserved.

And I'm pretty sure that when I was younger, my mum gave me a box of old Lego from when she was young that had one of those garages in it. I don't believe it survived. :cry_sad:

That Modulex sure is shiny considering its age! They must have been well-preserved.

That, and they have been washed too, some of them had dust on the top, other than that, yes, they are in great condition for their age.