Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

MOC: Classic Steam Locomotive

traintech1.jpg

I've been wanting to build one of the black and red locomotives from the 12V era for a long time now, and spent some time last night putting one together. 7727 Electric Freight Train has a great classic-town/train style engine, reminding me of old German steam trains. Unfortunately, I don't own any 12V train parts including a red motor, red buffers, and a red 6 x 16 Plate with Motor Cutout; important parts for this classic train (not to forget black train doors).

So I put on my thinking cap and was able to find many of the pieces in black (from the My Own Train Steam Engine and bulk black collection), adding a splash of red for added detail. The doors were the most challenging and after trying red ones from the Swiss Crocodile, they just didn't look good. So instead, I left the engine open. Here's the result, a Classic Steam Train using 9V parts. Unfortunately, my camera never takes good pictures of black MOCs.

Inspiration model from 7727: Electric Freight Train

7727engine.jpg

My engine:

l3.jpg

l6.jpg

Without flash:

l8.jpg

l7.jpg

The complete classic train:

l5.jpg

Comments and criticism welcome.

nice one brickster im partial to a train or two.

:thumbup:

one question is this your own version of the set or a modified version?

very classic

That's great TheBrickster! It sure beats the crap out of MOT! Although you were trying to replicate the original set, I think it's good that you had to work around some part restrictions because it made you think harder. And now, it looks far better than the original. KEep up the fantastic work mate. :classic::thumbup:

Very nice train. I'm not really up to speed with Lego Trains but it looks really nice. Reminds me of the trains in a computer game I used to play far too much of ... Railroad Tycoon.

Nice Job Brickster. You really managed to capture alot of the original in your version, and it's a definite improvement from the LGB DB style engine you previously had. An enclosed cab might be an improvement (with a removable roof perhaps?), but your version is quite nice, and with the large openings, I'm sure it's very playable.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sorry the pictures don't look a little better.

one question is this your own version of the set or a modified version?

It is a modified version of the loco from 7727. I had to swap parts and colors as some of the pieces are exclusive to the 12V era. You could probably say that it's my version of 7727.

And now, it looks far better than the original. KEep up the fantastic work mate. :classic::thumbup:

Thanks, but I still like the original a lot better, esp. with the black doors and red base/wheels.

Reminds me of the trains in a computer game I used to play far too much of ... Railroad Tycoon.

Can't say that I played that game.

and it's a definite improvement from the LGB DB style engine you previously had.

The LGB MOC was just a re-vamped version of the engine from 3225. I only replaced some of the black with green to capture the look of the LGB engine. Here it is:

s1.jpg

It's a much smaller locomotive.

An enclosed cab might be an improvement (with a removable roof perhaps?)

Yes, I would have loved to close it up with train doors, but the red ones I have looked awful. Black would have been fantastic like the original train. Lego SAH doesn't even offer a train door (and judging by the Emerald Night), have phased them out. Like you say; however, playability is improved with a nice open cabin.

I'm still debating if I like the use of the red ladders at the base of the engine. I may change to black (having used black initially). I was trying to alter the color a bit as all black is a bit dull.

Thanks again for the comments. This was a fun build, just wish I had more of the parts.