Davey

Bluebrick Layout Software

... and the last one for today, the 6372 town house which was one of my favorites at the time.

6372_town_house.gif

more will follow tomorrow

EDIT: 09.09.09 This set has been moved. Please go to the BlueBrick Parts and Set Index for the new Link. Thanks!

mmm, this puzzled me.

Inventory tells me this is the item

44336pb01 : Green Baseplate, Road 32 x 32 6-Stud Straight with Dark Gray Road, Yellow Dashed Lines and Storm Drains

So I picked dark gray as a color in mlcad :sceptic:

Most of my sets are from after my dark age, so pretty new, I think this is the new standard for road colors ....

That set is from my dark age. I hadn't realized they had dark gray roads as well. Your choice of color was absolutely right. I guess you could make a GIF of the baseplate to add to the BlueBrick road parts too? Thanks for your contribution!

Edited by missouri_bb63

That set is from my dark age. I hadn't realized they had dark gray roads as well. Your choice of color was absolutely right. I guess you could make a GIF of the baseplate to add to the BlueBrick road parts too? Thanks for your contribution!

I guess I could do that .... but in my blue brick they are allready available :sceptic: Maybe you have an old version :tongue:

I guess I could do that .... but in my blue brick they are allready available :sceptic: Maybe you have an old version :tongue:

Yup, it appears like my parts database was old. Alban doesn't send the parts database to the contributors with every update. My mistake. :blush:

It is up to date now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Here are my contributions for today. I decided to go for some "newer" models too.

EDIT: 09.09.09 These sets have been moved. Please go to the BlueBrick Parts and Set Index for the new Link. Thanks!

A new version of the freight loading station 4555

4555.gif

Intercoastal Seaport 6541

6541.gif

Railway station 7824

7824.gif

I will post some more over the weekend.

Edited by missouri_bb63

Thanks to Eurobricks user "aawsum" I have made the following improvements to the tutorial videos.

Feedback Video 1:

- Start totorial 1 also with the picture from tutorial 2. It is a good idea to show what your start point and end objective is.

Done! I included the picture of what it will look like at the end of tutorial 1 instead of tutorial 2 though to show what one will do in that tutorial.

- I would first tell something about the different layers

- then show the different part tabs

I left these two changes out for now as I am still waiting for more users comments.

- also something about which parts connect automatically and which ones do not

Done! Tutorial 2 5:04

Feedback Video 2:

- tut2, 7:07 -> I would change the text, selct the brush, to select the paint tool, because it is named paint in the menu

Done!

- maybe finish with showing a link to the website (always helpfull)

Done! I included a title screen at the beginning and end of each video, and I have also left one in the videos description.

Here are the links to the new videos. In addition to the above changes I have used a different video format, and also increased the font sizes where possible. The callouts are much easier to read. Make sure that "HQ" is selected at the bottom right corner of the video window.

Tutorial Part 1

Tutorial Part 2

Edited by missouri_bb63

It was time to go a bit older ...

Set 1966, car repair

1966.set.gif

--EDIT-- created new gif with better quality

Edited by aawsum

...and one small one from me today... several big ones in the pipeline for this weekend

This is the platform that came with train set 7740. My favorite train of all time, so I just had to make this.

7740-station.gif

EDIT: 09.09.09 This set has been moved. Please go to the BlueBrick Parts and Set Index for the new Link. Thanks!

Edited by missouri_bb63

Organizing the BlueBrick thread.

Hello all!

Thanks to the overwhelming number of contributions, I put some thought into how we could organize things so we can make sure everybody can get a good overview of which GIFs are available, which are in the pipeline, and what is still needed.

The Brickster and I sent a few PM messages back and forth last night, discussing a fixed index thread just for BlueBrick similar to that which is currently available for the trains.

It would also include a link to the help file (which Alban Nanty will try to complete this weekend), and any guidelines or requirements that have to be met. The Brickster was quite happy to help with this so now I just need to find out what Alban thinks... and what you think!! At the end of the day, this if for you guys. One requirement will be that you post your GIFs on another site to which the index can be linked too (brickshelf etc). So please give me feedback on this idea!

One thing that is available right now, is the PDF ToDo list to which you can find a link in my signature. This will give you an idea of not only what has been done, but also what is in process, and what is missing (currently a lot of .xml files). By looking at the list you can really see how much has been contributed in the past few weeks. The other option would be to just use that PDF as an index (with links to GIFs), but then it would only be accessible through my signature. You guys decide. Note that the current list only includes the contributions from this thread, and not the GIFs that are already available in BlueBrick.

If there are sets you would like to contribute as a GIF please send me a PM Message with the theme (train, town), set or part number, official description and whether this is a new or an improved GIF for BlueBrick. I will then include you in the PDF list and will mark it with "P" for "in process" so that others know to build something else.

Don't give me more that 2 or 3 at a time though, unless you know that you will be able to get them done within the space of a week.

If you notice any errors in the PDF file please send me a PM Message to let me know.

Thanks!

Today I will be adding some more low piece sets.

Level Crossings 4539 and 4532

Post Office 6362

Cycle shop 6699

You can find a link to my BlueBrick Brickshelf folder below.

The bigger sets will be done by Sunday. They are marked with "P" in the ToDo list.

Edited by missouri_bb63

I would go for the index with images linked to brickshelf.

I would also put the info from the pdf in that index thread, and not as a pdf.

Unless the brickster does not approve, I think that this forum is a good method to share gifs and to show each other the status.

I am no supporter of using extra files like the pdf, because it makes it more complicated then necessary.

:thumbup:

Edited by aawsum

Yes please organize and lets get in it all together.

Brickshelf could do great, with an index here on EB.

Ordered like this:

setnr - pic of set - BB-gif - XML

Also help each-other with how to create gifs and xml.

I use Paint.net for the gifs its free and simple. Also transparacy is possible.

[15-09-2009 Removed old 10027]

Edited by FreeBee

Hi everybody,

This is my first post in eurobricks forum. I'm very pleased, impressed and honored to see all the part you did for BlueBrick. Like I said to missouri_bb63 in PM, I will write a full documentation on the XML format this weekend. As for how you organize yourself to share your parts, it's up to you.

But there's also a new urgent task for me to do. It just come to my mind that all your work on the parts could not stay uncredited. So I will modify BlueBrick to add the author name in the XML file of the parts, such as you could add your credit to your work. Then if you want me to integrate your parts in an official release of BlueBrick, I would certainly need an email of authorisation for redistribuing your parts (and of course after I added the author feature), something similar to the LDRaw part author.

This will be ready for the next 1.5 release that will contains also the help file and few bug fixes.

aawsum, since you have created a lot of parts, you can contact me in PM, then I would be able to send you early beta version of the 1.5 version, in order to let you test the new authoring system. And of course missouri_bb63, we still stay in contact :classic:

Bye.

Welcome to Eurobricks Alban! Thanks for making the changes needed to make sure that everyone gets full credit for their work.

EDIT: 09.09.09 These sets have been moved. Please go to the BlueBrick Parts and Set Index for the new Link. Thanks!

My contribution for today is one set that I own from way back...

7835 Level Crossing

...and one which I would have liked to have but never did so it was fun to build it in CAD :grin:

4553 Train Wash

I have updated the PDF accordingly and will let you guys know how we get on with the indexed thread. Thanks for your feedback so far! More ideas are welcome.

I have noticed that brickshelf is a little slow at making the folders public at the moment so please be patient.

If you guys ever get tired of making GIFs, one thing you could also help with is translating the tutorial videos into your native language. BlueBrick already has a quite a few translators, but they will probably be bogged down translating the help file that I wrote. Send me a PM if you are interested. Current BlueBrick languages are: DE, ES, PT, FR, NL and IT. Unfortunately I won't have the time during the next weeks to do the DE version, and my written NL is too rusty (so come on aawsum... you know you want too :wink:). Thanks again for everyones support!

Edited by missouri_bb63

aawsum, since you have created a lot of parts, you can contact me in PM, then I would be able to send you early beta version of the 1.5 version, in order to let you test the new authoring system.

I would be honoured, however it seems I cannot sent you any PM's :sceptic:

So contact me when you have enabled pm in your account :)

As most of the weekend has had torrential rain, I have made rather good progress. Unfortunately I did not manage to do all the ones I had planned (partially because I did one I hadn't planned), but I will try get the rest done by the end of next weekend.

As I will be back at work from tomorrow, I will use what time I have left to get the index up and running (did some playing around with that today), and write the XML files for the GIFs I have already done.

I noticed that Brickshelf took 24 hours to make my last uploads public. So drop by tomorrow if you can't download them now.

Please send me a PM if you would like to contribute some GIFs or .XMLs as well.

6394 Metro park service tower: I always wanted this one as a kid because it seemed so huge at the time. This way I made up for not having the real thing.

6394.gif

6380 Emergency treatment center: My only hospital to date.

6380.gif

6542 Launch and seaport: Rembered I have this by chance and did it in CAD instead of some of the other small GIFs I had planned.

6542.gif

Edited by missouri_bb63

Hi,

I have finished a first version of the documentation on how to create parts for BlueBrick. Even if you guessed how to do, I think the chapter describing the XML file will be very usefull for you. I already sent it to missouri and he will forward it to some of you in order to get some feedback and make it more clear or understandable, then I will release and official version (hopefully in one week).

Bye.

New set

7997 - Train station

7997.set.gif

--EDIT-- created a picture with better quality

Edited by aawsum

6382 Fire Station

6382.set.gif

--EDIT--

Uploaded a new (better) version of the picture

Edited by aawsum

6683 - Snack bar

6683.set.gif

--EDIT-- created a picture with better quality

Edited by aawsum

Wow! Lots of good additions the past few days! Way to go aawsum! Eventually when I have some more time, I will have to add to these.

-Dave

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

Organizing the BlueBrick thread.

Hello all!

Thanks to the overwhelming number of contributions, I put some thought into how we could organize things so we can make sure everybody can get a good overview of which GIFs are available, which are in the pipeline, and what is still needed.

The Brickster and I sent a few PM messages back and forth last night, discussing a fixed index thread just for BlueBrick similar to that which is currently available for the trains.

It would also include a link to the help file (which Alban Nanty will try to complete this weekend), and any guidelines or requirements that have to be met. The Brickster was quite happy to help with this so now I just need to find out what Alban thinks... and what you think!!

I agree wholeheartedly that this thread (or a newly organized variation of it) should be a permanent fixture at the top of 'Train Tech'. I also like the idea of linking the images off-site to somewhere such as Brickshelf or Flickr. The first response of the thread should probably just be continually updated with all of the information such as what is done and what needs to be done. I agree with aawsum that additional files such as PDF's should be kept to a minimum (better if not used at all). We'll also need to figure out how to deal with updated versions of GIF's if someone makes a new one. As an example, I'm sure someone could build/draw better table GIF's than what I have provided thus far. :tongue:

-Dave

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

Hello all, work has been more busy than expected but I am hoping to start the index this evening. In the mean time I quickly finished off 2 more small GIFs which I started on Sunday. These are more sets that are not yet a part of my 80s collection.

As always give Brickshelf 24 hours to make the folder public. I have update the PDF File so you can see what is available so far.

Thanks for your feedback Dave! I think the decision is unanimous. Unfortunately this Forum doesn't support tables so I will be condensing the information so that it can organized in a single list. You are right about the versions. I included that in the comments of the PDF, but essentially I think we will have to come up with version numbers which will be in the XML files.

Maybe Alban has an idea.

6365 Summer cottage

6365.gif

6360 Cottage

6360.gif

and wile updating the PDF I just noticed that I forgot to upload this one at some point last week. This one is in my 80s collection.

7835 Level Crossing

7835.gif

Edited by missouri_bb63

Hello all! This is a test post to see what the new BlueBrick index page for parts and sets could look like. I have left out some information which is currently being kept in the PDF file we have been using. This is because it isn't possible to make a table in the BlueBrick threads and I wanted to keep the list a concise as possible.

The changes include.

Part and set numbers are no longer seperated (it wasn't really necessary).

File status is now indicated by either having a GIF/XML link.... or not. No link = no file. Those wich are known to be "under construction" will be listed at the bottom of the thread.

No comments box (instead we will try to track version numbers and other information in the xml file or GIF file description, but that still needs to be defined).

Contributor is no longer listed (the authors details or at least username will be visible on the site/page to which the links are connected, and it can be included in the xml file).

Note that the links to the XMLs below are only a test. They do not actually work with those GIF files. I didn't include thumbnails of the GIFs, as I think the height of the image might make the list too long. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

Town:

• 6362 Post office
GIF XML
6541 Intercoastal Seaport GIF XML
6372 Town House GIF XML
6378 Petrol Station GIF XML

Train:

• 4539 Level Crossing
GIF XML
7835 Level Crossing GIF XML
4532 Level Crossing GIF XML

"Under construction:"

• 6384 Police Station
    4565 Freight and Crane Railway

List is looking good. It is wise not to use any pictures, because it will make the index way to big.

The under construction is very good, just to see what people are working on :)

Maybe a small change for the list, I changed the order of the fields a bit, in this way I believe it looks a bit more organised;

Town:

GIF XML : 6362 Post office
GIF XML : 6541 Intercoastal Seaport
GIF XML : 6372 Town House
GIF XML : 6378 Petrol Station
GIF XML : 6382 Fire Station

Train:

GIF XML : 4539 Level Crossing
GIF XML : 7835 Level Crossing
GIF XML : 4532 Level Crossing

• 6384 Police Station

List is looking good. It is wise not to use any pictures, because it will make the index way to big.

The under construction is very good, just to see what people are working on :)

• 6384 Police Station

I will start on set #6393 Big Rig Truck Stop. Should take me a couple days since I have some other stuff going on, but I will get it done.

-Dave

I will start on set #6393 Big Rig Truck Stop. Should take me a couple days since I have some other stuff going on, but I will get it done.

-Dave

That is a real coincidence, I found that one on Peeron over the weekend and downloaded the instructions so I could make it in CAD. I had never seen that one before. I am looking forward to seeing the GIF!

6382 Fire Station

6382.gif

--EDIT--

Uploaded a new (better) version of the picture

I have that fire station! It's a real classic. The new GIF looks much better! I will be adding my police station 381-2 (1979) to my todo list. I have also been wondering whether to include the vehicles and minifigs on the GIFs. I have left them out so far. What does everyone else think!?

Edited by missouri_bb63

Hi all. I'm new to Bluebrick and am wondering if anyone has created some of the smaller baseplates (gif and xml):

8 x 16 green baseplate

8 x 32 green baseplate

If not, I'm certain I could work up the gifs for these, but I haven't looked into the xml format yet. If the documentation mentioned in this thread is ready for preview, I'd love to see a copy.

Thanks,

Greg K