Davey

Bluebrick Layout Software

Alban,

I've just loaded 1.7.1 over 1.7 (and the additional components) and get loads of XML errors when I start the program. Below is just one file and its error message.

BlueBrick had encountered problems while loading XML files from the parts database. These XML files have been ignored. This problem may happen if an XML file contains syntax errors. Fix the syntax or delete the XML files to remove this warning. The file(s) concerned is/are:

D:\User data\Jonathan\Lego\bluebrick\parts\Rail\2868b.0.xml

2868b.0.xml:

Invalid character in the given encoding. Line 6, position 8.

Looking at the XML I think the problem is the accented characters in the French desccriptions.

Hi,

In the 1.7.1, the encoding format of the part XML files has changed for compatibility reasons with Mac and Linux.

Now the part XML files should be encoded in UTF-8. Therefore I advise you to:

1) Unzip the 1.7.1 on a clean folder to avoid some old files in ASCII that have been renamed.

2) Download again the additionnal packages if you want them, and unzip them in the 1.7.1 part folder.

3) Copy your custom parts in the 1.7.1 part folder then convert the encoding to UTF-8 (with your favorite text editor) and add the encoding in the first line of the XML file (you can look into a 1.7.1 part as an example).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi,

In the 1.7.1, the encoding format of the part XML files has changed for compatibility reasons with Mac and Linux.

Now the part XML files should be encoded in UTF-8. Therefore I advise you to:

1) Unzip the 1.7.1 on a clean folder to avoid some old files in ASCII that have been renamed.

2) Download again the additionnal packages if you want them, and unzip them in the 1.7.1 part folder.

3) Copy your custom parts in the 1.7.1 part folder then convert the encoding to UTF-8 (with your favorite text editor) and add the encoding in the first line of the XML file (you can look into a 1.7.1 part as an example).

Thanks for the fast response. Fortunately I don't have any custom parts so I just extracted the files to a new folder then copied across the .config file and all my .bbms. Seems to be working perfectly now.

I've sorted the models by tabs for more convenience. Unfortunately i have to do it once again now (1.7.1) :) May be it is possible to realize the transfer of models by tabs from the program?

Please I need your advice to realize my idea. I want to make a track from one room to another across the hall. I have dimensions of all these places. How can I transfer them to the program as a background to be able to build my track?

I've sorted the models by tabs for more convenience. Unfortunately i have to do it once again now (1.7.1) :) May be it is possible to realize the transfer of models by tabs from the program?

Please I need your advice to realize my idea. I want to make a track from one room to another across the hall. I have dimensions of all these places. How can I transfer them to the program as a background to be able to build my track?

Hi tr1820,

sorry it has taken so long for someone to reply. I am not sure I have understood your first question correctly. Essentially BlueBrick makes the tabs in the

program based on the folders (and their respective names), that are in the parts library folder. Essentially, to get the same tabs as in your old version of BlueBrick, you just need to copy all the subfolders from the parts folder of your old BlueBrick installation, to your new one... and that is it. This assumes however that there have been no major changes to the XML encoding in the mean time (you did not mention which BlueBrick version you updated from), and of course any new GIFs in the upgrade will be deleted. The order of the tabs is set in the preferences of the program and just takes a few seconds to adjust.

There is no automated way of doing the above as BlueBrick is usually only updated once a year so it wouldn't add much value. It might be something for Alban to put on the long term ideas list though. :)

Concerning you second question, you need to make a layout of your room in GIF format and copy this into a new subfolder in the BlueBrick parts library. Below is an example I quickly made in photoshop using some basic squares. You can use pretty much any picture editing program for this. As you may have noticed from the table GIFs in BlueBrick, 1mm in the real world is roughly 1 pixel in BlueBrick. It will not be 100% accurate but it will give you a rough idea of how your layout could fit into the space.

Take the time to highlight items like windows, doors, sockets, light switches etc in the GIF of your room so you can plan your layout around them.

Good luck!

example_room_layout_small.png

Edited by missouri_bb63

It is true that the XML format didn't changed, but unfortunately the encoding changed. So unfortunately, in such situation you need to redo the organization with the new version of the files. :cry_sad:

Hi!

I am building a 12v layout combining tracks and old road plates. Now I wonder, is it possible to have a 7823 connected to a layout and connects its baseplate to other baseplates i.e 7866? I have tried countless variants but now I am beginning to think if its even possible? Can someone help me?

Hi!

I am building a 12v layout combining tracks and old road plates. Now I wonder, is it possible to have a 7823 connected to a layout and connects its baseplate to other baseplates i.e 7866? I have tried countless variants but now I am beginning to think if its even possible? Can someone help me?

Yes! It is! 2 minutes after my post here, I solved it! Pics will come in a few days when my layout is ready!

Hi,

Just a quick note to tell you that I released the version 1.7.1 of BlueBrick.

This is a maintenance version which fixes 21 bugs including 5 crash bugs.

But most important, this version is now fully compatible and tested with Mono.

[...]

Enjoy!

Great job, I won't need my girlfriend's Vista anymore! It perfectly works on Ubuntu 11.10!

(Maybe this is widely known, but)

Track designer files (extension tdl) can be opened and are automatically converted in Bluebrick - very handy!

Problem with 'Export picture' - I'm getting an unhandled exception when I try this with just one or two .bbm files. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with editing or moving items in a text layer as it seems to occur after I've done this but freshly created files are okay. This happen with the same file under XP64 and W7 64.

Alban, I have the details from the exception message available if you would like them emailed to you.

Jonathan

Say, is there a way to model wide curves made with strait track and a one sided half stud offset?

Like here:

5068506982_96aece3935.jpg

LEGO ICE 3 on smooth curves

Foto by holgermatthes

I just came across this question now.... I had a discussion on 1000steine on this topic not long ago and I decided to do them as a quick exercise:

Go to my Brickshelf folder and download the GIFs and XML, put them into the correct "parts" folder and hat should do the job.

The correct GIF is not nice, so feel free to edit it properly :-)

L2865 is with the correct angles, correct but crappy GIF

K2865 is with the correct angles, incorrect but nicer GIF

fW

Edited by freakwave

I have downloaded BlueBrick version 1.7.1 and the Train package.

This program requires Windows.Net Framework 2.0.

The link to Windows.Net Framework 2.0 on BlueBricks homepage doesn´t work. Microsoft message: can´t find the page.

How do I solve this problem? Are there newer versions of BlueBrick?

Edited by Haddock51

Have you actually tried running it? I don't use it so can't try, but I thought .NET 2 was installed on all machines by default these days (via Windows update)

Yes I have tried, and I get the following message:

"To run this application, you first must install one of the following versions of the .NET Framework:

v2.0.50727

Contact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the appropriate version of the .NET Framework."

Where do I find such instructions?

I notice that some of the parts recently added to the Part Tracker will not naturally appear in the part library once downloaded as they have the line "NotListedInLibrary" in the XML file. Why is this? :look:

That's a good question!!

This is because these parts are supposed to be used inside a group part which is a single XML file that group several parts. But unfortunately these standalone XML files are not listed in the part tracker. I will try to modify my script to let them appear such as you can also download them.

Anyway, I'm working on the 1.8 version right now, and new cool features will come, including a new type of layer to add some rulers with measurement units, and also a very convenient filter combo box, to filter the parts displayed in the part lib.

Stay tuned!

Hello,

I've modified my script, now the Set (only XML files) are also visible in the part tracker, and you can download them (they can be easily identified with there "Set" image).

I strongly suggest to download them and keep the "NotListedInLibrary" flag of the sub part to avoid having a part lib too crowded in BlueBrick. if you only need one part of the set (let say the vehicule for example), you can still drag and drop the whole set, then right click on it and choose "ungroup", then delete the subpart you don't want.

BTW, I will rename all the set with the peeron/bricklink convention, i.e. in the form of XXXX-Y for the 1.8 release. It won't break your existing file (unless we made some mistake in the renaming process).

Edited by Alban Nanty

I've tried searching elsewhere, but could not find it anywhere. I'm looking for a quarter curve track file. There is one linked in this thread, but after installing it it is a tighter radius curve than standard curve track. Has anyone created this file?

Thanks,

--Tony

Here you can find an article about smooth curves where we have added a ZIP package with the smooth curves track file to be used in Bluebrick.

http://www.alebricks...n-en-bluebrick/

To install these parts, you just have to download the ZIP file and uncompress it in the desired parts folder under your Bluebrick installation directory. There is both a Spanish and English version of the file though it's just a simple question of the word "suave" or "smooth" that is written over the track to better distinguish it from the regular straight track. If you wish to customize it, you just have to replace the GIF file with the regular GIF file of a straight track with the customization that you like, and rename it with the name of the original GIF file inside the package.

I hope it can be helpful for those willing to plan large displays plenty of smooth curves.

Edited by pulipuli

Hi there,

after about 2 years I'll "restart" my LEGO career ;-)!!!

I updated finally to Bluebrick 1.7.1. and would like to ask if somebody did the GIF and XML files for the winter sets? (i.e. toy shop, bakery, post station ....).

A link to where I can find them is also appreciated. I already searched brickshelf, but with nor result.

Best regards!!!!

Hi!

Im using BB 1.7.1 but are running out of ideas for my layout. Someone who wants to test my table and giving me some inspiration? Send me a PM and I will send my table-gif!