paintballman413

Best LEGO Train Ever Made

Well, it was started back in 2009.

I would say the Maersk engine. I love American railroading especially the 70's and 80's. The Maersk loco is a take on an EMD SD-45 or similar model. I just wish Lego would do more American diesel models.

I have to agree with you on the Maersk being the best train Lego has done. However, it's actually more of a GP40-2 :P

Well since it seems that the Emerald Night set is coming to a close, and also sadly Lego did not release any more cars for the set :devil:

I ended up buying 5 so I can still make a train when I decide to build it!

As for the Mearsk train this is probably my second favorite train after the Santa Fe Super Chief.

I hope that when Lego does release the next exclusive train set in 2013 and it is a passenger train.

that they learn from their mistake and release some additional cars for the set!

Since we got a 19 century European steam engine and the a 20 century American diesel engine my hopes would be a

mid 19 century electric train!

ether a PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD GG-1 ELECTRIC LOCOMOTIVE, PRR 4890

prr4919-beagen1.jpg

or an 3015 E-Lok "Krokodil"

sd_1182.jpg

Both of these in a nice brown would look awesome!

so just keeping my hopes up! :classic:

Edited by grogall

Well if Lego want to re-use the mould for the EN / Toy Story train, then I agree a return to the classic crocodile would be sweet.

But who knows; maybe another steam train could easily come along.

What mould (uhh, I think mold, mould is like a mushroom) are you referring to then?

But a brown crocodile would be neat indeed!

I'm a big fan of the Maersk train, but for me, the Santa Fe series is probably the best train "ever made". I really hope they re-do it as a PF train in the future since I missed it.... :sad:

302982271_98bf1382eb.jpg

My absolute favourites would have to be

the my own train

large tender and tank engines...

they got me into the lego trains and i still have one.

wow...lego train nostalgia

Edited by mikka says

Well since it seems that the Emerald Night set is coming to a close, and also sadly Lego did not release any more cars for the set :devil:

I ended up buying 5 so I can still make a train when I decide to build it!

As for the Mearsk train this is probably my second favorite train after the Santa Fe Super Chief.

I hope that when Lego does release the next exclusive train set in 2013 and it is a passenger train.

that they learn from their mistake and release some additional cars for the set!

Since we got a 19 century European steam engine and the a 20 century American diesel engine my hopes would be a

mid 19 century electric train!

ether a PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD GG-1 ELECTRIC LOCOMOTIVE, PRR 4890

prr4919-beagen1.jpg

sd_1182.jpg

Both of these in a nice brown would look awesome!

so just keeping my hopes up! :classic:

I think you mean 20 and 21st century, I pretty sure the GG1 did not exist in the 1800s(19th century=1800s) :wink: but I do agree, those would be nice to see. On topic: My favorite is 4511. Yes I didnt get into lego trains during the 12 volt era, so I cant relate to those, but 4511 is truly a masterpiece.

I can only give one answer to this: the one that started it all: my 7715, as in my avatar. My first lego set ever, got it when i was three years old. My parents spent half the night putting it together for my Sinterklaas present (kind of a dutch version of Christmas). Played with it for years. In fact, i still do. :) Best toy ever.

The Santa Fe sets, Super Chief and cars, are the best LEGO trains ever made, especially when used to make the Santa Fe El Capitan. Epic! :drool:

The playability of 4561 Railway Express and 7898 Cargo Train Deluxe are under-rated and can't be ignored when considering LEGO trains.

The low cost of 4561 Railway Express makes it a great introduction to 9V trains even today. With it's futuristic styling, engine, two train cars, three vehicles, and nine minifigures, what's not to like?

Cheers from Claremore, OK USA! :classic:

Dave

My vote simply has to go to the Santa Fe Super Chief (10020) and it's Cars Sets (10022 & 10025)...

Here is my updated version of it (yes I do own a complete original version which includes a custom EMD 7-B unit and Pleasure Dome)..

6773627704_01803e80c3_z.jpg

Even though the Bogies in the pic are black I do have them in Light Blu-Gray but can't update the pic right now as he is in storage for now.

THe think the reason for this is personally when I think of American Locomotives the EMD F7 (and those that look similar) are what comes to mind first. The snub-nose with centered lights is just the most iconic Loco from my youth (which was in the 1970s) on TV & movies as well as in person.

Has to be the Emerald Night. Something about that train is just pure beauty. The engineering and the appearance just makes it a work of pure genius with the tiniest part of magic.

Subjective opinions ahoy!

In my opinion, stylistically there's been no set like the Emerald Night. Very clearly designed for AFOL train enthusiasts, and it shows. My only gripe is that it's already gone.

The long-lived availability of the 4558/10001 Metroliner is a testament to it's equally long-lived appeal. Although objectively limited in it's alternative model possibilities by it's two piece nose/windscreen, as a classic electric train set it probably rivals only the 7740 in popularity.

This might be a little premature but since I never got a chance to buy the BNSF or Sante Fe I would have to say my current favorite is the Maersk. On the other hand this new train called Horizon Express looks beautiful and it looks like you only need to get two sets to have that proper complete look to it. Due to these facts I'm going to pick the Horizon Express as my true favorite.

Edited by mobricki

For me the 7740 Intercity Passenger train is the best train. It was a joy to play with in my youth. And if you were able to get the extra cars (7819, 7815) is made an impressive train to ride your tracks.

I must admit that the Emerald Night and the Maersk look nice but they don't come with fun memories of playing all day with them.

1 Emerald Night

2 Super Chief

3 Maersk

4 BNSF

I'm leaving nostalgia out because had the Emerald night come out 20 years ago I would have played with it like I did the early sets.

Edited by gotoAndLego

IMO the best is the Maersk followed closely by the Emerald Night. The new orange TGV style train also looks quite good.

1 Emerald Night

2 Super Chief

3 Maersk

4 BNSF

I'm leaving nostalgia out because had the Emerald night come out 20 years ago I would have played with it like I did the early sets.

Agree 100%. If we were voting, that would be my list.

Greetings! :classic:

I would have to say that the Santa Fe Line was one of the best Lego has ever made! I don't even own one! I would then have to go with the Maersk set and probably the Metroliner.

If this were considered a train, I would say that the Airport Shuttle 6399 would also make it in the top 5!

This is one of my fave but mainly due to my first lego train.

Load N' Haul Railroad

But now i am 20 years old

7938 Passenger Train is the one i really like.

But the new TGV coming out that will top my list.

I also really like the 7939 Cargo Train (just the train) and the same with 3677 Red Cargo Train

In saying my Above

i think the Emerald Night has agood disgin and its good Lego are trying to make things look more real but the preporshions are just to far out for me to be hooked on it.

Greetings new friend,

while indeed there are all sorts of interesting bits in old threads like this, please do not bump an old topic just to add a small comment or ask a quick question. Few of the readers will remember the original discussion and it just becomes confusing for the regular readers.

10194 -Emerald night, 6098 Heavy-Haul Train, 4558 Metroliner

is my top three !

Edited by jkj1909