paintballman413

Best LEGO Train Ever Made

Maybe you can ask a moderator to change your topic title to: "What's your favorite Lego Train Set?" That would be topic worthy. That is, only if there isn't already a topic like that out there. :wink: Ooops, I saw that you put that in your sub title. :grin: Anyways, my favorite train so far would have to be Emerald Night, it just has so many details, colors, and nice pieces. Once built, it looks magnificently beautiful.

Edited by Spyder

Good question Sean! :thumbup: Best LEGO train ever, huh? Are we talking from an aesthetic view-point, a technical building view-point, or a nostalgia view-point? Since I'm not sure which view you are asking about, I guess I'll answer all three for you. :classic:

Aesthetic View:

For the 'best looking' LEGO train, I have to give it to the #10020, #10022, #10025 complete Santa Fe Super Chief set. That set yields a gorgeous train that just looks awesome running on any layout. The colors are great and the overall set design was really the dawning of a new era for LEGO trains. In fact, this is the set that got me back into LEGO trains. In my book, it's an instant classic. For those new to the scene, it's probably cost-prohibitive to buy at this point since it's over $1,000 USD to acquire the two engines and all five cars...but it's still way cool.

Technical Building View:

This one is hands-down the Emerald Night. The Emerald Night has forced 'Train Builders' to also become 'Technic Builders'. Looking at the building techniques used in that set, it kinda sets the gold standard for using everything but the kitchen sink. You've got SNoT, half-stud offsets, complicated gear reduction, Technic superstructure, and using jigs to support the engine during building. The techniques used in the Emerald Night are basically everything an AFOL would use in building a MOC. It's bringing specialized techniques to the masses.

Nostalgia View-Point:

Okay...so we've talked about what looks good and what is technical to build. Now let's talk about what just makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. And that would have to be....#7720. This was the first LEGO train set I received and my parents paid $59.95 back in...well...I dunno...sometime in the 1980's. It's a well designed set that brought me hours of enjoyment and ignited my love for LEGO trains. I still have that set including the box with the original price sticker on it. Every time I look at it, it brings a smile to my face. In fact...I'm thinking I might build the #7720 engine as a 9V this evening. :classic:

So there you have it Sean...my three favorite LEGO trains...all for different reasons.

-Dave

ToT-LUG

Edited by Cyclone Breezerider

my favorite lego train, well top 3. 1.Emerald nigt. just received it few weeksd ago. 2. railway express, i've had it for more than 10 years. 3. and the metroliner. :sweet: . that metroliner is so cool, but i don't own it. I still like the Emerald night. I really had to tinker with the parts so it would run well with my 9 volt engine. now it works. I need another one to power my railway express. :sceptic:

Great topic! I love discussions like this, esp. when you really like the theme.

While I love the Super Chief and the BNSF engines, I really like Classic Lego Trains sets. Unfortunately, the only one that I own is 3225 Classic Train.

It's funny. After building sets like the Super Chief and the new Emerald Night, which are fantastic models - they just don't have the play value or the fun that comes from Classic Train sets.

Two sets that I looked into buying were 4563 Load & Haul Railroad and 4564 Freight Rail Runner, but the prices (MISB) of these sets are horrific.

I like the overall fun and play value of sets like the 9V sets mentioned above, that don't take three hours to build. I think this is what Lego is about, even though I appreciate the design of sets like the Emerald Night. Complete sets that have minifigs, vehicles, and lots of accessories (esp. freight) add to the quality of the set.

While 3225 Classic Train is not the most nicely designed set, it's a train that I find myself repeatedly breaking out - and inspiring me to build similar smaller Classic trains (like this one, and this). It's among my favorite!

7745 High-Speed City Express.

7745-1.1174537262.thumb2.jpg

:cry_happy:

My all-time favorite and still in the top three of my wishlist.

by any chance would anybody know what the TRAIN TECH thin means? :sceptic:

It basically means that this thread has been 'tagged' as a good train related thread. That tag makes it easier to find in searches. That way, when a new user comes on here and wants to start a similar thread...if they do a search, they will find this thread and be able to add to it versus starting a new thread. :classic: It's a way to keep all this great information in one handy place.

-Dave

ToT-LUG

I think the Emerald Night is the best train ever made.

Highly detailed (and LOVE all the parts like the driver wheels).

Now if only TLG would sell some more rolling stock for it (either sell the current car separately to the train or sell some similarly designed cars but with different interiors)

oh.. thanks guys. I was confused with the sign and thought of something else.

The Emerald Night is in the top 5 best ever made trains of all

1. Metroliner

2. Railway Express.

3. BNSF

4. Emerald Night

5. Santa Fe train

if anybody thinks that there should be a different top 5 plz post it. Lego trains are the best, other than city. with is cool also :laugh:

I would certainly go for the Metroliner. It has a sleek and modern appearance, and that color scheme makes it look like many real-world train systems (Amtrak comes to mind). It's just the sort of train I would want to have in my Lego city.

2. Railway Express.

I like all your picks except this one. I bought it for someone as a gift and think it's Lego's worst train ever made. I respect your opinion though, just don't like this train:

4561-1.jpg

I don't care what you think about hating it, it's about owning it. I got this train set when I turned 3...3!!! I got really involved wit trains at such a young age. now look at me talking about all sort's of trains. i don't care what the train looks like as long as i own one i'm happy. :classic:

I like all your picks except this one. I bought it for someone as a gift and think it's Lego's worst train ever made. I respect your opinion though, just don't like this train:

I kind of like that one actually. The engine sucks, but the cars are nice and big, and have a very modern look. It also includes a couple of road vehicles. It goes relatively cheap on ebay, so I might try to get one.

Edited by CP5670

I bought this,well my grandparents did. for $70 U.S. currency. I still have it. if you look on my MOC pages you can see it. the second car is A lego universe car. but the rest of my train is in tact. this is a nice train. oh.. if you go to the brickworld the motor from the Railway express won. I put the engine under the Emerald express and modified it. very nice engine i'll say :thumbup:

I don't care what you think about hating it, it's about owning it. I got this train set when I turned 3...3!!!. i don't care what the train looks like as long as i own one i'm happy. :classic:

If you don't care what others think, then don't bother asking.

Railway Express in one of the lowest rated train sets on Lugnet (4560 = 51 and 4561 = 63). You can check out both versions here. Having purchased this set for around $50 USD and building it, I would tend to agree with the low ratings.

However, if this set got you into Lego trains, I would have to say that it can't be all bad. The accessories and platform (plus track, motor, and transformer) are a pretty good value for the price. It's the overall set design that I'm not impressed with.

If you don't care what others think, then don't bother asking.

Railway Express in one of the lowest rated train sets on Lugnet (4560 = 51 and 4561 = 63). You can check out both versions here. Having purchased this set for around $50 USD and building it, I would tend to agree with the low ratings.

However, if this set got you into Lego trains, I would have to say that it can't be all bad. The accessories and platform (plus track, motor, and transformer) are a pretty good value for the price. It's the overall set design that I'm not impressed with.

well this set was my first and it was cool so my parents bought a few more trains. ahhh... heaven. until they discontinued selling 9v trains. but if it's true it's true. critics are critics and ratings are ratings. but hey all i'm saying is it's a good train and i'm not trying to be mean

well this set was my first and it was cool so my parents bought a few more trains. ahhh... heaven. until they discontinued selling 9v trains. but if it's true it's true. critics are critics and ratings are ratings. but hey all i'm saying is it's a good train and i'm not trying to be mean

Understand, and I didn't mean to knock your pick, just express my opinion of the set. I completely understand how some of these sets can bring back a great feeling. Many classic town sets do this for me from a "nostalgia factor". It's about what YOU like that really is important. Some sets are just fun and can give you a "warm fuzzy".

Understand, and I didn't mean to knock your pick, just express my opinion of the set. I completely understand how some of these sets can bring back a great feeling. Many classic town sets do this for me from a "nostalgia factor". It's about what YOU like that really is important. Some sets are just fun and can give you a "warm fuzzy".

I know what you mean, I really want to buy the Railway cargo train but I don't have a paypal. my parents have to buy my trains. I pay them back. I can afford any train up to $516 U.S. Currency. then i'm flat broke. i'm trying to get an allowence of 30 bucks a month. that's enough to pay for all my Brickworld fee's I will have in the next several months. but yes. I understand. everyone has an opinion for their favorite train. :classic:

Best Lego train? I wouldn't know where to start! :tongue: I enjoy passenger trains more than goods trains, so this is my line of thinking:

TLC got serious with trains when they launched the grey 12V series in 1980. No less than four motorised trains were released! Three more battery-powered or push along sets! Many more carriages, new track and electronics, they really went all-in and created a complete, fantastic railway experience. And of course at the forefront of the grey-track revolution was the 7740 Inter-City. It was the biggest set of the year, and a substantial gamble for Lego to take. A faithful reproduction of the DB Class 103 electric locomotive, it came with two carriages, ten minifigs, a platform and loop of track (sets sold in Australia at the time even came with a bonus transformer, everything you need!).

The 7740 really paved the way for the next great passenger train sets - the 7745 and 4558 both followed this path very closely. The 4558 Metroliner was the first of the 9V trains, and Lego again went all-out to create a realistic, detailed train set that both kids and adults could appreciate. Of course the 9V system crushed the dreams of the 12V fans who were looking for new sets after being left out in 1990. (I still remember the moment I saw the new trains in the '91 catalogue. :cry_sad: )

But I won't let that detract from the fact that the Metroliner was a brilliant kit and it wasn't until over 10 years later that TLC again did something special, this time with the Santa Fe Super Chief and it's array of passenger cars. With plans for no less than 5 different passenger carriages available, the Chief and it's gang are awe-inspiring to look at.

And of course this year, train fans were again blessed with the arrival of the Emerald Night. Another brilliantly designed set for another new power system, the smooth lines of the EN almost make it's predecessors look blocky. Almost. :wink:

So there you have four fantastic sets, each one the commander of it's era. Is it possible to pick a single winner out of them? I'm not sure I'd want to. :cry_happy: