Sign in to follow this  
AJW

MOC: Another new/vintage loco for my 12v layout

traintech1.jpg

Hello again!

Here is my second attempt at building a locomotive which looks like an official set from the 1980s and will fit into my 12v layout.

This locomotive was inspired by set 162 which was released in 1977:

3699450870_fd8ca7ed77_o.jpg

and here it is:

3698647909_7e385f63c1_o.jpg

I guess it was probably built by the same company who manufactured the 7760 shunting loco! :wink:

3698647915_a7fa3c5a6e_o.jpg

I tried adding an exhaust pipe rising from the top of the engine housing, but I was never happy with the look. I also tried red lamps at each corner but it looked terrible!

3698647919_c5cc58ee27_o.jpg

It took me 3 attempts to get the frame and bogies to work correctly. In my first version the buffers and couplers were attached to the frame but it could not negotiate a set of points successfully. This is the final version which I am very happy with:

3698672203_9bb037f0b3_o.jpg

And this is what is going on under the body. Yes, the frame and body is attached to the bogies with only four studs. But it's very sturdy:

3698672345_2f56690951_o.jpg

One final picture of it hauling a maintenance train:

3698672497_945370e9a9_o.jpg

Edited by TheBrickster

This looks great, it looks (to me at least) better than the original! BTW, you left out the smoke stack. :grin: Great job, keep it up! ~LW 8~

Very nice work!

I think that the result is even better than the original train! :thumbup:

The shape of it is strange and charming at the same time. It sure has that classic town looks that gives more points to it. :thumbup:

And the last picture... :blush::cry_happy:

Like coming directly from an '80's catalogue.

I guess it was probably built by the same company who manufactured the 7760 shunting loco! :wink:

That would be the LEGO Group. :grin:

Nicely done. I like that it retains the old style of the original set. The use of steam train wheel placement was nice. And pulling the maintenance train looks great! :thumbup:

Very nice; it looks vintage and wouldn't look misplaced in the train section of an 80's catalogue.

Nice to see that you carried over the wheel configuration from the orginal locomotive - to my understanding this was a common method of creating bogies, before they could actually pivot. I would have used trailer hinges instead of turntables, though. The resulting construction would likely be sturdier, but your solution seems to work, so there's really no need to change it. :classic:

Nice to see that you carried over the wheel configuration from the orginal locomotive - to my understanding this was a common method of creating bogies, before they could actually pivot. I would have used trailer hinges instead of turntables, though. The resulting construction would likely be sturdier, but your solution seems to work, so there's really no need to change it. :classic:

What pieces are you thinking of when you say trailer hinges?

I love it AJW! :wub: I'm really enjoying your redesigns of these classics. I notice the track as well - fantastic! The complete train looks really good. I like the crane wagon and the boxcar as well.

Great job! This deserves a BLOG.

What pieces are you thinking of when you say trailer hinges?

I was thinking of these two parts, but the latter has recently been replaced by this piece, which is possibly better. And then there are a few alternatives, depending on your needs and wants.

Paintballman413: 12V is controllable, but the old 4.5V battery trains weren't speed controllable. Didn't really matter, though, since they weren't exactly fast either.

I was thinking of these two parts, but the latter has recently been replaced by this piece, which is possibly better. And then there are a few alternatives, depending on your needs and wants.

Hi Freddie, thanks for returning to this thread to elaborate.

I did try the ball joint pieces as you suggested, but I found that the pivot was too far from the centre of the loco and thus the wheels would not follow the track correctly.

12 v is so cool, but you can't controll the spped can you?

You certainly can control the speed remotely. All you need is one of these, and quite a lot of these. And four or five of these are always nice to have. And these are really cool too. :sweet:

This looks great, it looks (to me at least) better than the original! BTW, you left out the smoke stack. :grin: Great job, keep it up! ~LW 8~

hello, not all Diesel trains need a smoke stack. :tongue:

god job dude. :thumbup: