Color For Brickington Train Station  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one

• Blue and Black
    • Yellow and Black
    • Other (please specify)

traintech1.jpg

Ok, here's the problem.

I'm removing the train tunnel from Brickington. It's not going to be destroyed, but I need it for the basis of a new Top-Secret Project.

In it's place, I'm going to build a Train Station. It's going to be in the same location as the tunnel, so it will be 32 studds deep, 64-96 studs long, and 22-32 studds tall. The problem is deciding on a color sheme. Here's the considerations for the building

1) The primary accent color will be black, as I have alot of great architectural pieces and windows in that color.

2) I want the main color to be a color that I have alot of

3) I want the main color to be a color that I don't use often

So I think I've narrowed it down to two choices, Yellow and Black and Blue and Black. If you've got a better idea, feel free to make your case. I'm going to do my best to abide by the decision of the Eurobricks majority

I think there are already a lot of yellow train stations and blue one would be a nice change. I would love to see your take on it and the finished result no matter what color it is. :wink:

I'd say dark red, tan ornaments, white windows and a black roof. The streets and platforms should be then light grey and you can ofcourse add some more colors in the small details. Some vegetation like a big tree or something would make a nice addition as well i think.

Good luck on decidiing and the eventual build! :thumbup:

Secret project eh?

...anyhoo, make the station blue and black, it sounds interesting.

Hi Eilif,

Are you talking about regular blue? Or dark and medium blue?

. I would love to see your take on it and the finished result no matter what color it is. :wink:

Thanks, but don't count me up just yet. It could still be a spectacular failure! :tongue:

Black and Tan would be a nice scheme for me, maybe with some grey decoration elements :wink:

I would love black and tan, but I don't have enough tan for a building of the size I am consdering.

I'd say dark red, tan ornaments, white windows and a black roof. The streets and platforms should be then light grey and you can ofcourse add some more colors in the small details. Some vegetation like a big tree or something would make a nice addition as well i think.

Good luck on decidiing and the eventual build! :thumbup:

That would also be a great color combo, but I don't think I have enough dark red to use it as the base color for a train.

Secret project eh?

...anyhoo, make the station blue and black, it sounds interesting.

Yup, but rest assured that you and the rest of NILTC will be among the first to see when it's done. Shortly followed by EB of course.

Just regular blue, thugh it might be possible to work in a bit of dark or medium blue as a kind of brick texture...

After recently looking around the PAB wall at the local LEGO store, I saw they have 1x1 and 1x2 in bright blue. They also have 1x1, 1x2, and 1x4 in medium blue (light blue). So if you go with black and blue, you definitely have some options.

I´d always prefer realistic colours.

So "normal" blue would not be a choice for me.

Black and Tan would be a nice scheme for me, maybe with some grey decoration elements :wink:

YES - that would do it! :thumbup:

Hi Eilif,

Medium blue is great as well. It´s a good contrast to black and more realsitic than ordinary blue.

I know about the use of decorative elements - that was the reason for me to build my post office in tan / yellow. Not very appealing... :hmpf::laugh: So I would recommend light/dark gray and light/dark tan, maybe some brown.

Did you see Teddy´s train station?

You know that you´re in competition now. Not the easiest challenge... :grin:

Righto Eilif, I'll really annoy you here, but I honestly think you should go with CGH's idea. The colour scheme is brilliant, and with such a high quality layout, it would be a shame if you had to resort to a yellow or blue station. So in this rare case, I would suggest that you buy parts specifically for the MOC. :pir-wink:

After recently looking around the PAB wall at the local LEGO store, I saw they have 1x1 and 1x2 in bright blue. They also have 1x1, 1x2, and 1x4 in medium blue (light blue). So if you go with black and blue, you definitely have some options.

Hmm, the lego budget is quite tight right now, but I might get down there just to get a bit of med blue.

Did you see Teddy´s train station?

You know that you´re in competition now. Not the easiest challenge... :grin:

Yeah, I saw Teddy's his is spectacular. I don't think mine will be any "competition" to his. It will probably be bigger, but not nearly as detailed.

Righto Eilif, I'll really annoy you here, but I honestly think you should go with CGH's idea. The colour scheme is brilliant, and with such a high quality layout, it would be a shame if you had to resort to a yellow or blue station. So in this rare case, I would suggest that you buy parts specifically for the MOC. :pir-wink:

Oh man, you guys are killing me. :laugh: I would love to be able to buy parts specifically, but asside from a few windows that I PAB'd that's not really an option at this time.

At this point, the poll and I are both leaning toward blue and black. To give credit where credit is due, it was SalvoBrick's Hotel that really got me thinking that blue and black could be a good color combination. I find his use of those colors incredibly striking.

blue_cafe_02.jpg

Indeed, this Hotel - but also Hinckley's EBCTC entry - shows that excellent results can be achieved with the basic Lego colors (that I also have most of) as long as you use some nice accent colors...

slighty off-topic: What else do/should you use yellow and blue for in town building?

slighty off-topic: What else do/should you use yellow and blue for in town building?

It's hard to say. Blue is a simultaneously dark and vibrant color that doesn't get alot of use in the "real" world. Other primary LEGO colors like Yellow and Red can be used for different colors of brick that are commonly found in buildings, but blue is a hard case. I think that blue would be a fine use for a contemporary restaurant, a commercial building like a shop or auto repair garage and I've also seen it used effectively for residential homes. Finally, perhaps a community pool building?

I had a blue repair garage built before, it is possible in some cases to pull of blue in realistic building, although difficult to get it to look right.