Sign in to follow this  
YG-49

The Rancor is Free!

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Well, I had nothing to do today so I got out my trusty old clay cube and made this. LEGO should have made a Rancor when the made the Jabba's Palace set but it would have to be very small to fit in there. :tongue: I have no idea if this is scaled or not (I'll have to watch Return again.) The eyebrows are minifig hands. I couldn't find anymore claw pieces for feet. Without further adue I give you my Rancor! :sweet:

Front view. RAAAWWWRRRRR!!!!!!! :skull:

LEGO072.jpg

Face closeup.

LEGO073.jpg

A hand. The chains were a last minute addition.

LEGO074.jpg

A scaly back!

LEGO075.jpg

Minifig comparison. Note, this photo makes the Rancor look bigger than it actually is.

LEGO076.jpg

Thank-you!

Edited by KimT

I like how you created the rancor's teeth and claws. The chains were definitely a good addition to put on.

I agree with you, lego should make a rancor and i think they should also make a wampa. they would be so cool

Great clay mocing!

Interesting. I would work on the proportions a little bit as well as the overall shape.I like the teeth, but maybe you should look at a few more reference pics. Still, great start.

Interesting. I would work on the proportions a little bit as well as the overall shape.I like the teeth, but maybe you should look at a few more reference pics. Still, great start.

I was going to make it more hunched but the legs wouldn't hold it.

Thats awsome YG! :grin: Definitly looks good, but I'd suggest sticking some brown peices on it, just to give it more of a lego feel. The scaling is a bit off, They have small legs and long arms with fat bodies, as seen here. But anyway looks good still.

I can understand your predicament. I would try building the body and legs separately, and then building up the legs as you need to.

Aren't they supposed to be a bit more hunched back?
Edited by YG-49

Wonderful idea YG-49! :grin:

A lot of people are right in this thread - TLG should make a Rancor because otherwise I have no sigfig.

The mouth looks just right - perhaps more teeth if you have them. I really love the chains.

And I think people should accept that the model won't easily stand up with a hunch, even if it was perfect then.

Also if it was hunched it would have to be a lot bigger, I mean a LOT bigger!

Feel free to use it as your avatar Rancor :sweet::grin:

Mmm... looks like a big cookie. Its nice, its not the end of the world to use. I would have added more details with regular lego, as long as I had many of them, like those little barbs.

if u are doing a new rancor, in addition to the proportions of the limbs, add in "saliva dripping" frm the mouth. that was what was happening when it had Luke cornered before it was smashed by the gate.

Looks very nice, but one question, is it sturdy?

General Magma

Very! :sweet: It's pretty heavy too.

looks pretty good :thumbup: I like it

He looks a bit like Morph's 'evil twin' :laugh:

Seriously though, good effort!

I have a couple o' suggestions if you're interested...

For big clay builds you should build an armature with wire to hold the shape. Bend his stubby legs a little and build his hunch up and back, bringing his head down in front of his chest a bit more while maintaining the line of his spine. Hopefully that will help centre the wieght above the legs. You can always bring out his toes a little for extra support.

If you look at reference pictures you'll see the Rancor has very long arms compared to the rest of his body - lengthening his arms will make him look more authentic and help balance out the weight.

Just keep working at it until it looks exactly the way you want it to!