Sign in to follow this  
LuxorV

Minifig Customization Workshop Contest

Welcome to the Minifig Customization Workshop Contest

MCWContest_Banner.png

The purpose of this contest is the following: Create a Minifigure for a New Theme

The dream of a lifetime coming true! You have just been hired by TLG to work on a special project. You are now part of the ‘New Themes Development’ Division. Your task is that of creating a new minifigure that represents the new theme you would like TLG to introduce on the market.

The theme can be anything but a License product (Movies, Videogames, TV-series and so on): TLG already has enough License contracts going on, and they don’t feel like opening a new one right now.

We badly want to discover new talents!

New customizers, members that never designed a custom before, have here the chance to make one for the first time!

If you are new to the world of LEGO customization, but want to participate to this contest and get away with one of the beautiful prizes, here is a link to the Minifig Customization Index and Guidelines, where you’ll find a lot of useful tutorials and tools.

The Rules

• Create a custom minifigure which represents a new LEGO theme you would like to see on the market.

• For New Theme I mean something that has never been previously produced by TLG. It may be a Space Pirate gang, a Steam Punk-ish team, a Roman or Greek army, or just a new faction for an existing line (like Fantasy Era is a new faction/theme inside the Castle main line). These are just some examples; don’t stick to them: let your imagination soar free in the unlimited sky of customization!

• While License-like themes are not allowed (so don't try to introduce new factions for Harry Potter, Star Wars or Indiana Jones!), creations based on true historical events/factions and/or folklore can be used as a base for your creations (say local legends' heroes are welcome; just avoid all those monsters like Dracula, Frankenstein’s Monster and Werewolf already produced by TLG in the Studios line). To make things more clear, I'll say this: all the themes which already have a merchandise line are considered License.

• For the nature of this contest, no digital entries are allowed - only actual brick built entries.

• For the same reason, no photo editing of the entries will be allowed.

• Your entries must be at least 51% recognizable LEGO.

• Entries must have a background story, a note on which theme it's 'from' and which character you've copied.

• Contestants may submit any number of pictures of their entry, keeping in mind that a base of 3 pictures (front, side and back) is required to qualify for this contest.

• Entries should have a link to picture folder (non-resized pics, close-ups and stuff like that for the rest of us to enjoy)

• Max picture size for deeplinked pictures is 800 x 600 pixels

• No webcam or phonepictures - The pictures must be undisturbed - make a studio, anything but a table with a cat in the background, nor is a LEGO built background allowed.

• Entries must be new customs. Any entry published online prior to the start of the contest will be disqualified.

• You may not include in your entry any decal or other design element created by other customizers; actual custom plastic items (such as BrickForge, BrickArms and similar) are allowed, as long as you clearly refer to them in the text and you give due credit.

• Contest entries must be posted before the 20th of July 2009 12:00 GTM.

• Only one entry per person.

• All entries posted until the end date of the contest are considered Works In Progress.

• All entries not living up to the rules on the end date are disqualified.

• Entries must be something the whole AFOLs’ community can enjoy. Please, avoid nudity, excessive gore, or other offensive content.

• All entries will be commented 1 week before the end date by me, giving guidelines on how to qualify for the vote.

UPDATE:

• All entries must include a Theme Name and a brief description of the possible development of the theme (i.e., a list of the possible sets).

Entries are to be posted within the Minifig Customization Workshop and type "MCW Contest Entry" in the ’title description’ of the topic.

PRIZES

First Prize - 40 USD gift certificate from BrickForge

Second Prize - 10 USD gift certificate from BrickForge

Third Prize - 10 USD gift certificate from BrickForge

Special Prize - EuroBricks Stormie

There will be two categories, both with the same prizes’ range (excluding the Special Prize, which will be awarded to only one entry; more on this later on): one for the best minifig/customization, and one for the best new theme proposed.

Find out more about the prizes here.

The Contest will run from today (20th June 2009, 12 GMT ) to 20th July (12 GMT)

Have fun and start your customizing!

So if I get it right, decals or stickers are allowed as long as they aren't made by anybody else than you? Does this include designing it?

Well this is just fantastic, thanks Eurobricks and of course BrickForge! Just when I am showing interest in the whole LEGO Customization scene, there is a contest like this. It sure gives me a reason to go on with it. :tongue:

When I open a topic for my minifigure, may I post the design for it? So it's open for comments and suggestions. And then wait untill I am ready to make myself a print of it and show a picture of it in the same topic. Or do we have to show the actual figure from the start in our own topic?

:classic:

So if I get it right, decals or stickers are allowed as long as they aren't made by anybody else than you? Does this include designing it?

That's right. You must design the decal by yourself.

When I open a topic for my minifigure, may I post the design for it? So it's open for comments and suggestions. And then wait untill I am ready to make myself a print of it and show a picture of it in the same topic. Or do we have to show the actual figure from the start in our own topic?

:classic:

As the rules say:

All entries will be commented 1 week before the end date by me, giving guidelines on how to qualify for the vote

So your entry will be considered WIP till the contest is closed. That means you can ask for suggestions and post concept pics as much as you want, keeping in mind that someone could steal your idea :tongue: . The only important thing is you don't ask somebody else to make part of the design for you.

Another thing is: you can post the decals you use for your minifig, if you wish, before the contest ends (nobody else could use them for their entries, anyway :wink: ). But I'll add them to the Indexes (maybe in an all new category) only after this is closed.

LuxorV

my brother may want to enter, but the thing is he isn't a member of eurobricks.

if he joins (just for the contest) could he still enter the contest while he didn't joined before the contest?

Edited by commdr_neyo

my brother may want to enter, but the thing is he isn't a member of eurobricks.

if he joins (just for the contest) could he still enter the contest while he didn't joined before the contest?

Your brother can start his work and post it here. He will be eligible for the prizes, and he will be welcome in the MCW :classic:

it's not just 1 fig right? it can be an army or a group of figs?

Only one figure will be taken into consideration for the voting, and you'll have to clearly state which one you want it to be in your post, in case you show more than one; but you can build an entire new army, if you wish so.

As a general rule, the first picture in your entry topics will be used as thumbnail in the voting topic (as for the other EB contests).

LuxorV

So, lets see if I can get this right...

We can't make minifigures based off of something like Mario, but we could make them based off of a fantasy/storybook-like idea?

So, lets see if I can get this right...

We can't make minifigures based off of something like Mario, but we could make them based off of a fantasy/storybook-like idea?

Yes. You could make a starman based on a sci-fi novel (say Asimov's Foundation line) or a detective based on a detective story (like Adam's Dirk Gently) or something.

But remember: you must also submit a background story and your minifig will represent a whole theme.

So don't make a character who stands on his own without any possibilities for a typical LEGO theme development (you know, like 5 sets of increasing size, with recurrent characters, vehicles and/or buildings, good guys and evil guys and all the rest).

LuxorV

Sounds like fun... I suppose I had better keep the figs I have just done under wraps for a bit then.

Jasbrick

Sounds like fun... I suppose I had better keep the figs I have just done under wraps for a bit then.

Jasbrick

Hi! How do you get that "customizer" icon you have with your siggy? I make a lot of figure customs.

I've got my thinking cap on for this contest. :classic:

I might dip my toe into decal design. I have a packet of finetip pens and some sticker paper so thats enough for me! The story will certainly be long and complicated though.

Sounds like good fun :thumbup:

Hi! How do you get that "customizer" icon you have with your siggy? I make a lot of figure customs.

If you make awesome custom figures and you post them in this board, the Minifig Customization Workshop, you can be "rewarded" with such an icon. It's to show people that that person is a good customizer. If you are hpbrickhead, like the link directs to in your profile, than I would post your figures for sure. I like them, those custom Harry Potter figures. :classic:

And to stay ontopic; I have a good and fresh theme in my mind. Now it's hard to make a show: to work out the villain or the good guy. Hmm. :tongue:

It's ok, as long as they haven't been published before today.

And to stay ontopic; I have a good and fresh theme in my mind. Now it's hard to make a show: to work out the villain or the good guy. Hmm. :tongue:

You only need to post one minifig here, but personally I'll be interested in seeing the other, too :thumbup:

LuxorV

This is a great idea for a contest! In fact, I liked the idea so much that I already made my entry! :classic:

This is a great idea for a contest! In fact, I liked the idea so much that I already made my entry! :classic:

Just saw it and commented. You indeed are fast :thumbup:

LuxorV

This might have been in the rules and I skipped over it, and if so I apologize. I however would like to know if I am allowed more than one entry (doubt it, but would still like to know) and If I am allowed to make a brick built fig.

I know we aren't doing a licenced theme, but do the figs have to be yellow?

I sure do hope not. I only have a few yellow heads, and am unsure about hands. But if I am able to make it brick built, I will be fine.

Wait - if I am to understand, we cannot add white backgrounds to our images? Or can we just not add effects?

Otherwise, great contest!

• Your entries must be at least 51% recognizable LEGO
Yes, I think you can use sculpey.