MrTools

Getting started in LEGO Trains - What to buy?

Ok, does anyone know when the PF trains will be released, like the end of this year or early/mid/late next year?

I heard that they were to be released in 2009 - I'm not sure if that refers to 10194 or if it's meaning new sets in time for christmas. Hopefully the latter. :classic:

Ok, does anyone know when the PF trains will be released, like the end of this year or early/mid/late next year?

I don´t recall ANY PF trains to be released except for the EN.

Most of this rumours are just wishing and hoping. :look:

...but I´m one of the many also wishing and hoping. :grin:

Good day everyone! I am beginning to get interested in trains, and even more specifically LEGO trains! I was wondering where to start? Should I start with one of the new Power Functions trains, or should I get on Bricklink and get a 9V or 12V one? I also hear tell that 9V are making a comeback after Christmas, but I dont know for certain.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Fugazi
added tags

I got into Lego trains a few months ago. Here's what I found :classic:

Two trains are better than one - it makes for better crashes.

PF & RC trains can run at different speeds / different directions on the same track - this allows for better crashes.

:tongue:

Hi Ron,

Welcome to Train Tech!.

we have a pinned topic at the top of the forum called My the train tech index. It contains a lot of useful information regarding all aspects of lego trains and actually has a section with information for beginners. We have had a few people ask questions like this and before and its been extensively covered by others. I would start be reading those topics to get some ideas as to what may be the best option for you as each train system has its advantages / disadvantages against the other. Its unlikely that 9v will be re introduced so any track that you buy will most likely have to be from the likes of ebay or brick link.

Personally I think if your just starting it may be worthwhile getting the new passenger train. It gives you some basic track and every thing you need to motorise it and control it or gives you the basic parts to create your own three car train. Depending on your country this will most likely be the most cost effective way to start out too.

I am sure some of our more active members will be along to add comments to cover any things I have missed but I would defiantly advise checking the train tech index.

Edited by cusaeng

we have a pinned topic at the top of the forum called My the train tech index. It contains a lot of useful information regarding all aspects of lego trains and actually has a section with information for beginners.

Well said - I was just getting ready to type a similar response.

Personally, I would look into the new Cargo Train. It's a bit more money $$$ than the passenger train, but from all reviews, it looks like it offers quite a bit. I had not heard that 9V is making a come back, so I don't know if I'd start looking for used/old 9V track, motors, and transformers just yet. Good luck with your efforts.

Thanks for the help everyone, and I'm sorry I posted this without checking there, I checked the registry and I forgot to check there. :blush: I think I will go with a PF train, it seems a little more simple for me, who is just starting out. But thanks again everyone, and if a MOD wants to close this topic that would be ok.

Hey, i'm 18 years old, played with lego alot when i was younger and I'm interested in starting with Lego Trains. I have a huge attic (almost room size) to build a layout in, but was wondering how cheap it is to get into it, and any info on trains, powering it, etc.

Welcome to EB! As for trains, it is definitely an expensive hobby. The cheapest powering method it Power Functions, which Lego currently sells. There are four train sets currently on the market. There are two really nice sets that have no motors or tracks, but they are detailed. The HP Hogwarts Express and the Emerald Night. There are two sets that come with a full track and motors so you can power your trains right out of the box. There is Passenger Train and Cargo Train. :sweet:

Have fun :thumbup:

I would recommend you look at the Train Tech Index. There's a complete section for beginners to the hobby, not to mention topics similar to this one posted only days ago.

I'm going to make my first train purchase very soon, and I was hoping to get some insight on the necessities. I love the idea of building an increasingly complex and exciting train layout while I MOC various buildings/structures. So, I need help! I'm not sure what is typically included in a set and what is actually "recommended" in order to use the train in a layout.

I guess I would ask:

- Best "Start with me!" set. I was thinking Emerald Night (since this seems to be such a staple), but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if there was a better option!

- Power options. I realize this is probably an expensive part of the start-up, but I'm sort of accepting that with the entire LEGO hobby, haha. Pricey, yes - but worth it!

- What track pieces are my best bet for purchasing? I read about flexible track? I don't know - this is another ???

- Anything else I should know/read/buy to get this side of my hobby going?

I really appreciate the help everyone - thanks in advance!!!

Welcome,

To start with the Emerald Night is an excellent set for the adult starting with lego trains, it comes without track or power functions to keep the price down and builders happy.

The Emerald Night uses an XL PF motor for power instead of the bogey train motor the standard sets use.

Buying the PF parts separately would cost around 45-60 Euro (motor, receiver, batterybox and transmitter). Then you'd net some track as well.

I started out last year with a super pack (train set with a box of extra track, extra switches and a station) cost effective a pack like that.

I'd advise to buy #7938 7938-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

that way you'll get some track some PF parts (about half the value of the entire set)

Build it and see how you like the LEGO train experience, after that get the Emerald Night #10194 10194-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

with PF sets #8882 XL-Motor8882-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

and #8870 Lights 8870-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

Then build the Emerald Night and use the receiver, transmitter and battery-box from #7938 along with XL-Motor and the Lights to power your Emerald Night.

If you are already sure you really want to go for it, set #7939 7939-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

will be a choice with more options (switches and straights) to start of with instead of set #7938.

If you start with Emerald night you will have to add everything: motor, remote, reciver, battery box, tracks etc... If you are starting from scratch it's better to buy one of kits with everything included (new passenger or cargo train) and later add just motor, reciver and battery box.

Powering Emerald night has got a lot cheaper now with new AAA batery box (available from january)

So, if were you I would buy (in following order):

-PF cargo train

-Train station and additional tracks

-Emerald night

-PF Passenger Train

-Maersk train

-Hobby trains (if you could get it) with addtional PF motors and battery boxes.

You will end with a lot of trains and tracks, all compatible with PF.

Hi, nicoga, I'm really glad to hear that you're getting interested in LEGO trains. While I can't say I'm the most knowledgeable train fan, I may be able to answer some of your questions.

Best first set, in my opinion, would definitely be the 7939 Cargo Train. Firstly, the play value is very good. It's got a lot of extras and functionality to mes with. Unlike the Emerald Night, it contains one complete Power Functions setup - enough to run one train. The Emerald Night can be powered, but the equipment is sold separately.

And while we're on the subject I've become a fan of Power Functions after buying the Cargo Train myself. It's a simple yet highly functional method for powering trains. One of the drawbacks is the amount of space needed to house/conceal the PF equipment, but with some creativity, it can be worked in nicely. Also in its favor is the fact that it's current production, and therefore isn't quite so expensive or hard to find as some of the legacy systems (4.5v; 12v; 9v; and the first, substandard iteration of RC trains...).

As for track, I'm not a fan of the flexible track being produced right now (I kinda feel like it's being pushed on us, but that's another topic). It's not very good-looking, and while it's functional enough, stretches of it in a flexed arrangement can cause loss of traction. I also like my track arrangements to be somewhat more rigid, anyway. It could be very useful for laying broad curves, when used properly in conjunction with straight track, but that's a bit advanced a technique. If you can still find it, there's a discontinued track pack with curves and straights together, and curved track is dirt cheap right now on Bricklink. There is a straight/flex pack available currently as well.

I do hope, whatever start you make in the LEGO train hobby, that you enjoy it. And if you have any other questions, or want a second opinion, feel free to ask us.

Hi Nicoga,

There have already been a few excellent bits of advice posted.

One thing you are bound to find is that you don't have enough track early on (can you ever have enough track?). How you solve this depends on how quickly you want to get started.

If you've got the money and want to get some longer trains and interesting layouts off the bat then I'd suggest buying two of each of the passenger and cargo train sets. That way you get enough track for a better layout, more carriages and spare PF bits to put to various uses (eg, power the other end of the passenger train, bits for the upcoming Maersk train, less bits to buy to power the EN).

Once you do that you'll want a train station, then multiple train stations to make the platforms long enough for your longer trains, then level crossings, then before you know it you'll be buying crazy multiples of sets for MOCing.

My railway station restaurant module is almost done. *woohoo*

I hope you enjoy getting into Lego trains.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies! I wish 7939 was in stock, haha. Does 7938 come with the same power options, just less track options?

Whatever the case, what's the general opinion of the PF Rechargeable vs battery packs? The rechargeable looks to run about 50 USD + transformer at 25 USD. Really, I want to make sure I'm not just buying stuff and finding it to be useless/lay around. :)

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies! I wish 7939 was in stock, haha. Does 7938 come with the same power options, just less track options?

Whatever the case, what's the general opinion of the PF Rechargeable vs battery packs? The rechargeable looks to run about 50 USD + transformer at 25 USD. Really, I want to make sure I'm not just buying stuff and finding it to be useless/lay around. :)

They both some with the same power options but, like you say, less track in one compared to the other. I got the old RC cargo train as my first LEGO train and have both 7939 & 7938 as well now. I think the cargo train is better value as you get a lot more features and accessories plus the extra track.

I just use regular non-rechargeable batteries in all my trains. I have had to replace the batteries in the older cargo train once. All the other trains and controllers are still running on their original batteries. I don't think the rechargeable options are worth it.

Cheers

Rog

i've been waiting for my local toy shop ( toy master, so a national set up ) to get 7939 in and i ordered it back in NOVEMBER!!, i went in last week to find out what was the story, and i was informed the set had been taken off their ordering system now, but my back order 'ought' to still turn up??!!!. they have got the first release of the 2011 stuff in so i'm starting to think they will never get 7939 back in at all. they have 5 sets on order, one of them for a member of staff! if they don't have them in by the end of Feb i will be cancelling my order and trying to find one on ebay at a reasonable price.

I'm also looking to get into Train but I have catalogs detailing all the trains I missed out over the years. D:

I'm really sunk into star wars right now, and only have about $100 in buying power right now. The emerald night looks like a fantastic set but I also want a track and a motorized version as well? Can they built into the train?

Well I went ahead and bought 7936, 7937, and 7938. :P I think that's most of my Lego expenses for the month, haha. I want to grab a few pieces of extra track from Bricklink, but I'm not sure what kind to buy. What track is the "right stuff" to grab? Thanks!!!

Hello everyone,

I just started to get into lego trains and I just purchased my first train. The #7939 Cargo Train when toyrus.com had a sale with the cargo train being limited in stock on Feb 4, 2011 for $143.99 with free shipping. I like to expand on the track layout with more track and I plan to purchase the #7938 passenger train, #10194 Emerald Night and the #10219 Maersk Container Train later on, but I was wondering are some of the older trains, such as Santa Fe, BNSF, TTX Intermodel Double Stack Cars or My Own Train cars, such as Caboose, Open Freight Wagon, Hopper Wagon, Octan Tanker, or Passenger Wagon worth to get now, as I have seen that they go for alot of money online???

I also just created my first custom train in LDD. I am not sure where to show people so I have just attached the ZIP file. Please have a look. If no one can see it please let me know.

Thanks for the help,

LDD Train Engine and Generator 1.zip

Well I went ahead and bought 7936, 7937, and 7938. :P I think that's most of my Lego expenses for the month, haha. I want to grab a few pieces of extra track from Bricklink, but I'm not sure what kind to buy. What track is the "right stuff" to grab? Thanks!!!

*woohoo*

You should be happy with that to get you started. I remember how thrilled I was unboxing my first ever Lego train set just a couple of years ago after a childhood when they were out of reach and a dark age when they weren't on the radar.

Straights and points would be my first priority, maybe one more circle of curves if you are not buying another set in the near future. If you are going to bricklink I'd also recommend you pick up a few of the now discontinued switched crossover piece.

7996-1.jpg?0

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=7996-1

This piece has some flaws but it is also very useful for setting up interesting layouts. You just have to pay attention to what you a doing with it or it can cause crashes.

Early on this was the only track I could ever find in the shops so I ended up with 4 of them which also let me set up slightly longer straight runs when I had relatively few straight rails. I could do with an extra one or two of these switched crossovers.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo