MrTools

Getting started in LEGO Trains - What to buy?

Is there such a thing as a bad Lego train set? Buy them all! :devil:

I've had 3677 in my hands for a few days now, it's fun and my boy loves it of course. The engine is a beauty, photos don't do it justice.

I'm crazy about that maintence truck myself. There are a ton of parts in that little thing, very solid.

Edit; Sorry if I strayed from your original topic a bit. Like others have said; the yellow cargo train 7939 is the best set to start with. 3677 was discontinued so I bought it first, it looks like 7939 will be around longer. There are some cool extra's in 7939 and the engine could also service as a passenger engine. There's a Chinese company named 'Enlighten' that makes passable and affordable passenger cars.

I also like Kivi's suggestion above if you want to spend more.

Have fun!

Joe

Edited by bjtpro

For starters, I would suggest the 66405 superpack, which contains the 7939 yellow train, but also a 7937 train station, a set of straight tracks (includes flextrack), and a set of curves/switches. It's what we started out with, and never regretted it. It's very complete as a starter set. I don't know if this set is available everywhere though.

Hey, since we're here discussing these trains; I asked this question last year sometime in another thread and no one replied.

car_with_truck_1.jpg

Is this piece of rolling stock (from 3677, Red Cargo Train) realistic at all? I think it's really cool but I've never seen anything like it in real life and I've spent quite a lot of time poking around rail yards and museums.

It seems to be based on vehicles like the Robel 54.12 or 54.17:

54.12_Track_Vehicle_00073.jpg?x=400&base=big

[link]

54.17_Track_Vehicle_00074.jpg?x=400&base=big

[link]

It seems to be based on vehicles like the Robel 54.12 or 54.17:

54.12_Track_Vehicle_00073.jpg?x=400&base=big

[link]

54.17_Track_Vehicle_00074.jpg?x=400&base=big

[link]

Hey, great, many thanks! We don't have anything like that in the Mid-western part of the US so I was a little baffled. Honestly, I still am a little bit because I'm not exactly sure what it's function is but at least I now have a direction to research in.

Joe

I got the yellow freight train today and put it together tonight. I really like it a lot. I love just sitting and sending it 'round the track and playing with the speed and switching the track. My only complaint is I'd rather have had another car or two, than the crane and truck. But its a lot of fun.

I think I'm hooked on trains.

I'm looking forward to MOCing up a train with the extra engine I purchased too...

Steve

I got the yellow freight train today and put it together tonight. I really like it a lot. I love just sitting and sending it 'round the track and playing with the speed and switching the track. My only complaint is I'd rather have had another car or two, than the crane and truck. But its a lot of fun.

I think I'm hooked on trains.

I'm looking forward to MOCing up a train with the extra engine I purchased too...

Steve

Lego trains are great, aren't they?

Extra engine? What did you get?

I think you can find extra rolling stock on eBay and/or buy multiple sets and sell what you don't need on eBay, can't you?

Joe

Lego trains are great, aren't they?

Extra engine? What did you get?

They are quite fun. I just wish they didn't take up so much space.

Probably should have said extra motor. I just picked up a second motor, so I could do up a MOC, without dismantling the Cargo Train. We have an old historic train here in town and I'm thinking I may MOC up their flagship engine.

Steve

I can't wait to get 7939 myself, have been holding off as it's spendy here in China. It really seems like the best set. The truck and containers are interesting to me, that's probably another reason I like the Maersk as well. The crane will probably be a fun play feature for my son.

He's only three but likes to play with 3677 and fiddle around with the rocks, hopper car and conveyor belt thing. The engine in 3677 is a little odd IMO but it's compellingly odd and it's a great set in it's own right.

I also like rolling stock and have been stocking up on Enlighten knock-offs. They're so incredibly cheap here ($3 for a box car with a fork-lift!) I'd be a fool not to.

Have fun, Joe

The engine in 3677 is a little odd IMO but it's compellingly odd and it's a great set in it's own right.

I thought it a bit strange, as well. It bares close resemblance to this Lithuanian shunter :classic:

I just ordered the 7939 cargo train as a new start in lego trains. I have got some blue track and the EN but I finally decided to spend the money and buy a new train. It should arrive tomorrow :classic:

I have looked at 3677 as well but i prefer the 7939 because it has more track and i prefer the locomotive. I don't really like the trackside structure of the 3677 neither.

By the way here in the Netherlands you can see both types of locomotives.

The Maersk is the best train IMO. I finally bought it (the last batch that Amazon got in I believe) after hesitating for almost too long as it's not very child-friendly. The problem with it of course is that it has no PF or track but that's not too difficult to get if you don't mind spending the $$$.

The GP-30 (which is what the Maersk must be styled after) was always one of my favorite diesel-electric engines so I'm glad I got it. This is the Wikipedia link;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_GP30

The Maersk train is actually an EMD SD40. The Maersk is one of the few engines spcifically representing a real engine as opposed to merely inspired by one (like the Horizon Express).

Here is a good picture of the real engine painted in a Maersk color scheme Norfolk Southern 3329. Due to a minor accident, the engine has subsequently been repaired and repainted back to standard Norfolk Southern color scheme like the 3330 engine in that picture.

We now return to extolling the virtues of Lego's 7939 Cargo Train. :wink:

Hey! Cool photos, thanks for posting those! It's nice to see a real-life Maersk.

3677 also reminded me of engines in Holland, until I saw that photo of the Lithuanian shunter.

Joe

Edited by bjtpro

So, a new wannabe train fan here. I don't have any rolling stock yet, but I have a chance to acquire 9V 4563 from a friend at a very reasonable price. I've read a few help topics here in the forum and I have some ideas about all the train system, but just for the clarification... will I miss out on anything important if I decide to go the path of 9V and not PF, at least in the beginning?

but just for the clarification... will I miss out on anything important if I decide to go the path of 9V and not PF, at least in the beginning?

Well, money. You will miss out on having very much. 9V is very expensive! Apart from that, you can still run PF trains on 9V track, you just can't run 9V train motors on any other track than 9V, obviously. I primarily run 9V and will attach 9V motors to the trains that do not have their own power source (Maersk; EN; HE) and leave PF trains as is. They do have some nice varieties of rolling stock and track side structures, so you'd miss out on that, as well :classic:

4,5V/12V had the really nice track side structures, imho, but they can be used with just about any track option

Go PF unless you got loads of money (<- who are we kidding, LEGO trains in any variety is expensive!) ..

So, a new wannabe train fan here. I don't have any rolling stock yet, but I have a chance to acquire 9V 4563 from a friend at a very reasonable price. I've read a few help topics here in the forum and I have some ideas about all the train system, but just for the clarification... will I miss out on anything important if I decide to go the path of 9V and not PF, at least in the beginning?

I'd say go hybrid. Start with the 9v maybe expand it a bit (some of the sets can still be found at somewhat reasonable prices, like NIB at 2x MSRP, and they were priced lower than modern sets of similar size). In fact it looks like there are several copies of 4563 available used for about $120. You won't get much straight track though and that will ultimately be your limiting factor. Then branch out to PF as you build further. Each system has its own strengths.