Vitals:

Set #: 10013

Theme: Trains / 9V

Year Released: 2001

Piece Count: 121

Minifigs: 0

Track: none

List Price: $17 (USD)

A little less in price than the My Own Train Hopper and Fuel Tanker, this Open Freight Wagon would serve as the backbone of the My Own Train collection providing opportunities for lots of different freight.

01.jpg

As with other My Own Train sets, beautiful train art decorates the box:

02.jpg

The instructions are rather plain just having a blue background:

03.jpg

The main build of this set is rather simple with just a baseplate, a layer of blue bricks, then another black layer of plates to top it off (not including the end walls).

04.jpg

Unfortunately, the layer of black plates line up with those of the blue, not securing the pieces in a nice fashion. The design is probably due to the use of the side ladders and hooks that require placement in this manner. This makes the base layer easy to break apart:

05.jpg

Tall slopes are used at the ends along with a 3x4 wall piece in the center. A train end caps the top. This wagon also includes two printed 1x2 train tiles:

06.jpg

Ten poles are inserted into the hooks providing a way to keep logs within the wagon:

07.jpg

Three logs are included for the wagon, each with 12 round bricks. They are rather secure without the use of any beam within:

08.jpg

Two chains are placed over the logs and secured to the side walls of the wagon. They are loose if one follows the instructions (as pictured):

09.jpg

The bogies/trucks are rather easy to make and will soon be attached as the final step:

10.jpg

The completed wagon is ready to roll:

11.jpg

Summary

The Open Freight Wagon is a "must have" for any Lego Train collector. It can be added to any freight train and looks good with the black and blue colors. My main complaint is how the base layer comes apart pretty easily due to the design. In addition, the poles are always popping off if one is not careful with how they lift the wagon. Unfortunately, there's not much one can do to eliminate this issue. It's ashamed that none of these wagons came with minifigs, like the 1980s train sets, but it's still a nice versatile wagon for hauling all sorts of items. I purchased two of these wagons back in 2001, the second on clearance at my local Target (right after Christmas).

Here's one additional shot of my Open Freight Wagon used to transport weapons for a Wild West Union Army:

12.jpg

Anything can be transported with the Open Freight Wagon!

I must admit i know nothing about lego trains but this looks kinda cool.

It seems to fit right in with the western theme.

They should do more train stuff like this .

Nice review too. Got me thinking..........

Nice review, Brickster! I remember seeing these on clearance at Target for five bucks, which explains why I have over 75 brown round bricks... It's strange how TLC decided to produce a line of trains with a Western feel to most of the rolling stock years after the Wild West theme was retired.

Nice review, Brickster! I remember seeing these on clearance at Target for five bucks, which explains why I have over 75 brown round bricks... It's strange how TLC decided to produce a line of trains with a Western feel to most of the rolling stock years after the Wild West theme was retired.

I also thought these train cars and engines went well in a western city. TLC really missed out by not having a train in the western line but this one makes up for it a little.

Another nice review, The Brickster! :thumbup:

I'm not a Train fan but I really find those "My Own Train" sets very cool as they're, like CC style sets, designed for AFOLs so very detailed and useful :classic:

Thank you very much for this great review, TheBrickster! :classic:

I voted for

Average

Cons:

- only three trees

- no single minifig included :thumbdown:

Pros:

- very realistic looking :oh:

- something not very common

- simply good to have extra wagons :thumbup:

I personally are a big fan of seperate engines and wagons (especially with freight trains) since in this way

you can enlarge your train collection and make as big trains as you want to :thumbup:

you can buy these trains and wagons you want to have and put your train together how you like it and don't need to pay possibly much money for contents of train sets you even don't like or don't necessarily must have to. :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Although not rated very high, thanks for the feedback re. this set and the review.

It's strange how TLC decided to produce a line of trains with a Western feel to most of the rolling stock years after the Wild West theme was retired.
I also thought these train cars and engines went well in a western city. TLC really missed out by not having a train in the western line but this one makes up for it a little.

Interestingly, I never really considered this a WW train, but I used it with my WW town (purchasing as my first electric train, before Classic Train 3225). I liked the use of the blue for the open freight wagon for adding to the Union Army. The Union flags fit perfectly into the hooks. I also liked the versatility of transporting just about anything one would want - barrels, crates, cannons, arms, etc.

The engine, green passenger wagon, and caboose also fit well for the WW theme, but the hopper and fuel tanker seem to modern.