Cooper

Power Functions Boxcar

traintech1.jpg

First, credit to swoofty for some earlier work with brick built trucks using the medium motor.

What follows (to my knowledge) is the first complete incorporation of the new rechargeable battery, IR sensor, and PF Train Motor. In addition to those three items, this boxcar also has one brick built geared truck. The PF train motor is geared a little higher than the brick built truck. That said, the two still seem to run well when operated in tandem.

Also, FWIW, the exterior of the boxcar is ~90% from the PaB wall. :classic:

3540221770_464b6dd818.jpg

The geared truck in on the right in this photo. At the time the left truck was unpowered. It has now been replaced with the PF train motor (see later photo).

3539408055_e5d9a991bd.jpg

The underside of the geared truck.

3609435008_a679381258.jpg

This is the boxcar as it stands today. In the photo above the geared truck is on the left, the PF train motor is on the right. The 2x2 square hole in the roof just to the right of center is where the IR Sensor pokes through. The 1x1 hole in the roof to the right side is an access port to turn the battery on and off without opening the boxcar.

This looks great, I always wondered how practical the power functions were for everyday use. This is one of the better uses I have seen for them, nice job.

That is amazing, cooper. I really love the simplistic design of the outside, I feel it conveys a nice boxcar-esque mood. And for the power functions: Wow, just wow. I don't think I'd ever be able to come up with something like that. Swoofty is a greatly influential builder, isn't he? I can't wait to see what you come out with next.

this is great a fantastic ideai demand more (other stuff). but i do need to ask on the pf train motor the mole in the side middle ,can you put an axle in it or some thing of the like for a third wheel?

:pir-laugh: cb :pir-wink:

i do need to ask on the pf train motor the mole in the side middle ,can you put an axle in it or some thing of the like for a third wheel?

Based on just placing a 3rd wheel in that position, a 3rd PF wheel will rub with the adjacent wheels. So that doesn't seem very viable.

My recollection (from what I've read on the internet so it must be true right? :hmpf: ) is that this side piece for 9v will cover that hole, but that it isn't compatible (for whatever reason) with the PF set-up (for what reason, I don't recall. CAVEAT: I do not have this part, nor have I used 9v before, so take that compatibility statement with a grain of salt).

2871.1081053140.jpg

Edited by Cooper

I think this is really slick Cooper. It reminds me of something one would see as a LGB or Toy Trains G-scale train wagon.

I really like the idea of placing the motor in the boxcar, vs. the traditional loco or tender idea. I think one of the early Lego 4.5V or battery cars had the battery case & motor inside a red box car. I'll have to look and see which set it was.

Your boxcar has a nice departmentalized build to it, very neat and organized. It looks like you spent some time perfecting the gear truck/bogie. Gears always intimidate me.

The use of the grilled bricks creates a good design for the exterior. My only recommendation would be to perhaps add some standard bricks so that you can place a few decals toward the base of the boxcar, adding to the already nice detail.

Great job! and thanks for sharing these more detailed images of your boxcar. :thumbup:

EDIT: That train I mentioned above was 7722, Battery Train Set.

Nice idea and implementation of putting the battery and engine in a boxcar. :thumbup::classic:

I really like the idea of placing the motor in the boxcar, vs. the traditional loco or tender idea. I think one of the early Lego 4.5V or battery cars had the battery case & motor inside a red box car. I'll have to look and see which set it was.

EDIT: That train I mentioned above was 7722, Battery Train Set.

The red boxcar held the batteries, but the motor was still in the loco. I know for sure, since it is the only electric loc I've got. :classic: