Sign in to follow this  
legoindy01

What licensed themes will end next year?

Star Wars has been a few very uninspiring patches where the designers seemed on autopilot (like the start of 08) and I'd hate to see that happen to Indy just for the sake of the line continuing. I'd rather it go out while still spectacular and with a high reputation as one of the best themes!

I agree with SchmeltSvelte. FIVE YEARS? Really? :wacko::hmpf: Like he said if they did (when hell freezes over at TLC HQ) they would suck. Theres only so much you can do with a theme like Indy. People who are saying it'll last 5 years are crazy. no offence. Yes Indy is a great theme but great things dont last forever.

I also agree with SchmeltSvelte that i'd rather it "go out with a bang" so to speak and be remembered as a great theme not a theme that slowly dies over 5 years. :sadnew:

Also I'd be very suprised if spongebob is still around for even 1 more wave. I think/hope Indy will have atleast one more wave, maybe two. :sweet:

Edited by Darth_Legois

Nobody keeps the Disney licenses for long, and everybody has had them at least once, including Brix Blox. I suspect Disney just wants too much residuals and two much artistic control on the releases to be a good partner to any non Disney-owned company.

sponge bob is not ending next year. at least not if they are smart. i mean just 1 year use of the new squidward mold? that has got to be the worst kind of investment made by silly people. :tongue:

indy jones will end in 1-3 years time. unlike SW where you have the rebels and lots of multi characters (good guys and bad guys), indy jones is just a story about one professor and a few supporting chars. it's not very comparable to SW... it's more like batman (one main hero with few supporting chars) and we know what happened to batman! :tongue:

disney theme is always a little hard to manage. reason is mostly because the license characters have very unique shapes. hard to fuse with the lego style.

i think the reason why disney has change hands so frequently is more about money. the toy makers think they can capture the disney market and bid up the licensing fees. the reality however is far from it. it's not really easy to make money from the disney franchise because every char has a special shape which doesn't fit well with the brick style.

Spongebob has potential.Unfortunatly the idiot designers decided it would be best to re-release the 06-07-early-mid 08 sets, just adding in some wierd stuff and showing off the new Squidward head.

As I stated before, these LEGO SpongeBob SquarePants are highly modified sets, and not straight re-releases. The pineapples have different interiors:

3827's pineapple house interior (2006):

3827-29.jpg

3834's pineapple house interior (2009):

indoors.jpg

Can you tell the difference?

I like 3834's interior better.

Don't try to judge a set solely on its outside appearance. The interiors may have changed, too.

I've noticed other sets with similarities in the past, like the submersibles and the boats in the Divers sets in 1997 as well as the two train stations LEGO released in the past, 4554 from 1992 and 2150 from 1996, and most recently, the Star Wars sets containing the X-Wing Fighter.

I hopes this clears things up for everyone.

As I stated before, these LEGO SpongeBob SquarePants are highly modified sets, and not straight re-releases. The pineapples have different interiors:

3827's pineapple house interior (2006):

3827-29.jpg

3834's pineapple house interior (2009):

indoors.jpg

Can you tell the difference?

I like 3834's interior better.

Don't try to judge a set solely on its outside appearance. The interiors may have changed, too.

I've noticed other sets with similarities in the past, like the submersibles and the boats in the Divers sets in 1997 as well as the two train stations LEGO released in the past, 4554 from 1992 and 2150 from 1996, and most recently, the Star Wars sets containing the X-Wing Fighter.

I hopes this clears things up for everyone.

You've got me there.But, besides some new Smaller ( :sadnew: ) interior and some fancy stickers, not much as changed.Also they should have kept the basket ball hoop.But I dont exactly need two Bikini Bottom Neighborhood sets.

As I have most of the Re-Released Refurbished sets older Counter-Parts.

I still want at least 1 more set with sandy included.

SpongeBob is dead I think for sure.

IJ and Star Wars will not end next year. However the rate the Clone Wars sets are coming out maybe it will end in 2011, who knows? (I hope it does)

One non license theme that's ending is Power Miners, I think LEGO is just throwing all the sets they planned out this year.

Oh, I hope Ferrari won't end soon. Some of you said that there is not much more they could do, I don't think so.

LEGO can make classic Ferrari cars, how about a large scale 250GTO? Or a 330 P4 race car?

What about classic Formula 1 cars? The famous 61' Ferrari 156 "Sharknose", F312T, F555, Dino156...

Should I keep going?

To me there is some serious potential still in the Ferrari line for Large scale cars.

Same with Lamborghini, so far we are getting only the Gallardo.

LEGO can still release the Miura, Countach, Murcielago, Reventon, Estoque, and the LM002 SUV.

I also feel like LEGO could put in more work and potential to Spongebob. I could think of some set ideas and minifig molds already!

Did someone say, Mermaidman and barnicle boy?

Anyway, yes ferrari is awesome. But I'll stick to the Lego Racer sets for now.

I hope Lego doesn't increase the Indy prices because I'm collecting the theme. I hope when Indy is over that the Indy BL prices got sky high like Batman and I'll have a small fourtune in my hands! :devil: I will NOT sell them if that time comes, never, never!

Did someone say, Mermaidman and barnicle boy?

Anyway, yes ferrari is awesome. But I'll stick to the Lego Racer sets for now.

For Barnacle Boy, all you need is a fleshie Squidward head!

For Barnacle Boy, all you need is a fleshie Squidward head!

The only problem with that, is the head is not the same. His head is more spherical, and his mouth is smaller than Squidward's, plus there needs to be a stud on top of his head to place a white 1/3 cylindrical brick on his head to serve as his sailor hat, much similar to the technique used on Mrs. Puff's head.

You've got me there.But, besides some new Smaller ( :sadnew: ) interior and some fancy stickers, not much as changed.Also they should have kept the basket ball hoop.But I dont exactly need two Bikini Bottom Neighborhood sets.

As I have most of the Re-Released Refurbished sets older Counter-Parts.

I still want at least 1 more set with sandy included.

Yeah. I just wished that they could make the new pineapple bigger, and have two floors, instead of just one. I would like to see one more set with Sandy, with her tree dome made with the large dome pieces similar to those used in the Ice Station Odyssey sets, but in trans-clear, but unfortunately, I don't see it happening in the foreseeable future, now that the Walt Disney Company has struck a deal with LEGO. As much as I miss LEGO SpongeBob SquarePants, I'll be looking forward to another LEGO theme, LEGO Toy Story/LEGO Toy Story 2.

Spongebob will PROBABLY be ending next year, because of a special trade between MEGA and LEGO. LEGO wanted the Disney contract, so MEGA made a deal to give the Disney license to LEGO, for the Nickelodeon contract. This means Spongebob construction sets will be made from LEGO. This concludes that LEGO Spongebob will end in 2010. :cry_happy:

To answer the questions thst legoindy10 asked,

*Indiana Jones will not end next year. Lucasfilm has a contract for them for at least 2-3 more years.

*Star Wars, sadly :cry_sad: , will end in 2011, when the contract with LEGO and Lucasfilm (Star Wars) expires. No word yet if Lucasfilm is renewing it.

We should still say "Hello" to Indy sets, but "goodbye" to Spongebob and Star Wars. (I am more saddened by the upcoming loss of the LEGO Star Wars contract then the Spongebob loss of contract. I have not a single Star Wars set in my collection, and hope to get one this year, but I really disliked the Spongebob line).

Spongebob will PROBABLY be ending next year, because of a special trade between MEGA and LEGO. LEGO wanted the Disney contract, so MEGA made a deal to give the Disney license to LEGO, for the Nickelodeon contract. This means Spongebob construction sets will be made from LEGO. This concludes that LEGO Spongebob will end in 2010. :cry_happy:

*Indiana Jones will not end next year. Lucasfilm has a contract for them for at least 2-3 more years.

*Star Wars, sadly :cry_sad: , will end in 2011, when the contract with LEGO and Lucasfilm (Star Wars) expires. No word yet if Lucasfilm is renewing it.

We should still say "Hello" to Indy sets, but "goodbye" to Spongebob and Star Wars. (I am more saddened by the upcoming loss of the LEGO Star Wars contract then the Spongebob loss of contract. I have not a single Star Wars set in my collection, and hope to get one this year, but I really disliked the Spongebob line).

Thanks for the info, I've been wondering when the lucasfilm license was ending for Indy, 2-3 more years seems very promising. If lego doesn't do something to renew the star wars license then They really need a smack to face star wars is a gold mine star wars sets are always the best lego sellers, lucasfilm probably makes a bunch off of the sets too. but just because lego has a license and a contract doesn't mean they still have to produce lego sets. look at the hasbro indiana jones line, it was canceled but they still have the contract. So lego could stop making sets but would still have to pay the annual ammount to lucasfilm. I really don't think this will happen though!!

Really? That's quite strange.

The Star Wars news isn't shocking, it's been known for awhile, why is everyone acting like it is? It was supposed to end last year and continued and will for at least another 2 years. There is no reason why LEGO and Star Wars can't work a deal out if they both want to. If LEGO needs to they will just raise the prices some more through the roof because Star Wars fans will still buy them up by the truckload.

Star wars ending in2011 isn't much news for me either I just hope that they extend the license again. If not Indiana Jones and Disney will get full focus. :tongue:

You must understand that this is Disney's second contract with LEGO. While some may dislike some licenses, I think with the variety LEGO already has that if you don't like some licensed properties, that you can always opt for a non-licensed theme, like City, Space Police, Pirates, or Castle. I'm already excited about the Toy Story LEGO sets. I'm sad to see Nickelodeon end their contract, but I hope that Disney might be the next best thing. I doubt MEGA Brands would want to pick the Nickelodeon license up right away.

Honestly I'm hoping Star Wars will end soon. I think it has had its time, the newer sets don't have the abundance of great figs the older ones lie Jedi Duel had, its mosly just clones and droids now.

To the Batbrickmobile! :devil:

SpongeBob

Yes, I know when that the license will end. December 31st, 2009 is when it will end.

Yes, I know when that the license will end. December 31st, 2009 is when it will end.

When that date comes, will all the SB stuff on the site go down and a message sent to every retailer that sells them to take them off the shelves or something?