Sign in to follow this  
pantograph

9V Train Motor Not Working

traintech1.jpg

Hi all, i am from Sydney, Australia and I am a new memebr for EB.

Recently I went through my old LEGO set and found Train set 4558 sitting there, so I decided to set it up and give a run.

The train hasn't been run for a decade and the motor did not turn at all.

After a good clean on the wheels, the motor decided to turn but it stopped again after a few loops but the train headlights remained on.

Does anyone know what caused to happen?

Is there any suggestion on how to open up the 9V motor to perform a repair?

Thanks in advance,

Welcome to EB Pantograph. I own a few 9V motors, but fortunately, have never had one stop working. I'm not an expert with Lego motors, but I wonder if the parts/oil inside the motor have dried up from the lack of use, causing it to lock up.

Perhaps some of the other train fans on the board might have some recommendations.

Good luck , and I've added this topic to Train Tech.

Well, I cannot offer good advice either. Just push your locomotive whenever it gets stuck. I have one or two 9V motors that run quite hesitantly after not using them for a while. But after running for a while, they work nicely. But I fear this won't help you much.

Thanks guy, I will just let the motor run around for a hour or two to see if does improve.

Does run when there is no carriage on it.

What type of chemical do you use to clean the tracks and the wheels on the 9V motor?

What type of chemical do you use to clean the tracks and the wheels on the 9V motor?

I usually just use a dry or damp paper towel on my track. The dust comes off very easy. I heard pencil erasers work well on the nickel-plated track.

Not sure about train wheels never having cleaned mine.

Go to a model train shop and ask the same questions there. For the wheels of 9V motors I use a dry towel. For the railway tracks I also use a dry towel. For Roco model trains there's a special rubber with which you can clean 9V tracks as well. It works fine if you have some dark spots on the metal of your rails. You can also clean LEGO rails with alcohol. But it is a special type of alcohol also available in shops for model trains. I have never tried that, though.

I recently bought a second hand 4535 LEGO Express Deluxe (my first foray into trains)which works like a charm as of the time I handed it over to my kids an hour ago, however I have a second motor and some tracks that I picked up previously, and now know for sure do not work.

How do I troubleshoot a 9V motor that doesn't run?

Right now all I can tell you is that the wheels turn fine if I push them with my finger. When I put it on the track that the 4535 is running successfully on it is entirely stationary. Is it possible to get inside the box to see what's going on?

Sounds like a dead motor to me i have had this before, the light still being on means you have power going though the rails and the wheels are picking up power.

The motor working on its own to will little load means the internal bushes are stuffed on the motor and they would for a while but they will overheat and it will stall.

I have had 4 motors do this to me. And as i am heavily into my 9v train i need all the motors i can get and they are not cheap to replace.

So i made a fix for it.

have a look here.

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=83667

- Also in regards to cleaning the track wet rage will do the job or a Rail cleaner rubber like you would use for models train. But i never clean my track and the only stuff i have had to clean is 2nd stuff i bought with sticky gunk on it. 9v track and motors work way better than model trains, need little cleaning and maintenance.

Edited by Lazarus