On a scale of 1 to 5  

76 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

I am glad this review managed to convince some of you out there, to purchase this set. :sweet:

Excellent review WF. I envy the fact that Singapore got these Indy sets early. I've been checking my local TRU for this and the other new Indy sets periodically, but never any luck. :sad:

Don't be dishearten, my friend. I am sure, very soon, these new sets will start appearing all over US.

I think this and the Temple of Doom are among the best of the new wave. These planes offer so much fun, and with the added "exploding wings feature" that you've been kind enough to demonstrate, what a fantastic set. I love having a historic military airplane. The only down side, is that the wings do not have any smooth plates to allow some custom stickers (but I suppose that's minor).

I choose not to apply stickers, is largely because I could change the alignment of these aircrafts and customised stickers could be easily applied as well. The wings isn't a big problem for me, but if the wings could be built similar with its engines, I think it will be even great. Glad to know that you are anticipating this set. :blush:

When I was a kid, I watched a number of adventure movies that had bi-planes, and I use to make them in Lego. Interestingly, they weren't the size/scale of the little airplanes from Classic Town, but more along this size (based upon the length of the old blue Sea Plane). I've ALWAYS wanted a double-winged adventure airplane, and thanks to the Indiana Jones license, Lego has finally provided one in this set.

Trust me, those aircrafts aren't like any Classic Town aircrafts. It's design is pretty detailed, and the swoosh factor is excellent. It is not brittle, and parts won't be easily fall out. :wink:

I like the overall design, and the colors selected (although tan would have been interesting too). I'll need to check out some movie images to compare the accuracy. The extra splash of red and the tail look great. I love the round gunner compartment and glad Lego designers took the time to add the extra detail. Can't wait to pretent fire the little machine gun!

I tried to find some movie images, but I couldn't find a nicer one. I will try and give it another search later, to see if I could provide a better reference for both aircrafts. Perhaps svelte_corps, could share some of the links that he had gotten for his movies reference images.

From the playability aspect, I can't wait to set up a little German airstrip with this set and the many tan soldiers (from my collection) - perhaps create a large North Africa scene from Valkyrie. The nice thing is without placing the stickers on the plane and the other Indy vehicles, one can make any army that they wish, adding custom decals.

Look forward to see you adding this set together. Unfortunately, I have not built my flying wing yet, otherwise I could use it for comparison. I am thinking of getting 2 more of these, if it ever go on sales. Just wanted to form these fighter planes together. I am an aircraft kind of person. :tongue:

I love this set WF and thanks for the awesome review! The only thing that your video lacks is the swooshing and machine gun sounds so reminiscent of battle/war time play. But since you added your EB friends to the review (minifig-wise), I definately can not complain. :laugh: . Thanks for bringing us a splendid review of a 5-star set!

I wanted to do a swoosh video, but I couldn't locate my tripod, and I didn't want you guys to see me messing with my planes and camera at the same time. :blush:

After all, you are part of the Adventure. :wink:

EDIT: After looking at how some of the other EB members rated this set, I'm really surprised it didn't get higher marks (esp. considering it's the first mini-fig scale set with a military airplane).

There are many people out there, don't like its costly price tag and minifigs selection. :sadnew:

Yes, it's the first official military aircraft ever.

but the Pilatus/Figter plane is kinda ... dunno, the design is not that good, the cockpit is open on the sides, it sits so low above the ground, could have been done better.

I did try to compare, and I wasn't too pleased with its cockpit. However, taking the consideration of its overall design, I am still glad that I had gotten this set. I believe a little modification will help to solve the problem.

For the "explosion" mechanism, I'm assuming that when you press down on the canopy, it pushes down on the colourful insert. Then the 2x2 inverted slopes push the technic axles of the wings out, and the pressure builds up over the technic pins, until they just pop out, detaching the wings?

TLG is really doing some good stuff with mechanisms at the moment, and they actually work properly, not with a hand-of-God.

Awesome explaination! You have describe the mechanism in a perfect written illustration. I couldn't find the right words to describe, but you did a great job. :thumbup:

Great set, but I'll pass. This would be the only Indy set I don't have though :hmpf_bad:

Edited by RoflWafls

120 SGD is 80 USD, and to be honest, it looks like TLG is going to slot it in as the $80 set, at least in the US.

In a word: overpriced. For $80, the least they could do is print the bricks. Now, if it were $60, it'd be worth a second glance. If it were $50, I'd be more inclined. But I haven't bought the Flying Wing set because of the decals and the ridiculous single-piece wing, so I still might not get this one regardless.

I like the fact that there aren't too many specialty pieces, and I like the exploding wings, though I think they'll wear the relevant bricks out unnecessarily, and I also like Henry. But I'm otherwise left unimpressed by the set, and if I have to think hard about it at $30 less than what it's probably going to sell for, it's not a good sign.

120 SGD is 80 USD, and to be honest, it looks like TLG is going to slot it in as the $80 set, at least in the US.

In a word: overpriced. For $80, the least they could do is print the bricks. Now, if it were $60, it'd be worth a second glance. If it were $50, I'd be more inclined. But I haven't bought the Flying Wing set because of the decals and the ridiculous single-piece wing, so I still might not get this one regardless.

I like the fact that there aren't too many specialty pieces, and I like the exploding wings, though I think they'll wear the relevant bricks out unnecessarily, and I also like Henry. But I'm otherwise left unimpressed by the set, and if I have to think hard about it at $30 less than what it's probably going to sell for, it's not a good sign.

it was officially announced at toy fair that this set costs $50 USD. did you actually think that this set would cost $80. That's Insane for 10 bucks more you could get a huge set called the temple of doom :tongue: or even temple of the crystal skull :tongue::tongue:

it was officially announced at toy fair that this set costs $50 USD. did you actually think that this set would cost $80. That's Insane for 10 bucks more you could get a huge set called the temple of doom :tongue: or even temple of the crystal skull :tongue::tongue:

I am fairly sure that the US market will get a much better price than the ones in other regions. Most of the time, US LEGO often enjoy economics of scale and are so much affordable compared to other regions. Singapore are priced towards the Euro market, which I believed that Euro will be selling it for Euro 60.

So who is correct? Is it going to $50 or is it going to $80? Anyone? I LOVE planes and am dying to know o_o

I've just finished building a minifig scale Sopwith Camel { got no idea where to post it} and now building a minifig scale Bristol Fighter. The bi-plane appeals to me because of the planes I am building, and also i'm not a fan of Nazis.

Fantastic review Whitefang, though I believe that the set was not worth your excellent reviewing skills. While I love the design of the planes, the minifigs are poor and the price is terrible. I'll still get it, but most certainly on discount. My father will love the Tiger Moth though, he's flew one once or twice, and this scene is one of our favourite when watching the movies.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Great set, but I'll pass. This would be the only Indy set I don't have though :hmpf_bad:

you should get it then

you should get it then

I was thinking about not geting TOD but like RoflWafls it'd be the only Indy set I wouldn't have. I love the figs and the set isn't too bad. Anyway, @ RoflWafls, get it. I love Lego planes. What other themes do you get? I own every Indy set besides the 2 Brickmaster ones.

A great review Whitefang. :classic::thumbup: When I first saw this set I thought it wasn't worth it,but I've changed my mind now.As many have said,the minifigs are the same from motorcycle chase.The video was interesting,it showed some set functions I didn't know until I saw your video.Both airplanes look good enough and the printed piece is interesting. :wub: The things I don't like about this set is the price and the lack of a shoulder bag for Indy :hmpf_bad::thumbdown:

I had orriginally decided not to get this set because of the price, but your awesome review made me change my mind. i didnt get the motorcycle chase so indy is the only old (he is really old by now) minifg for me. i love the design for the planes and their detail :wub: the exploding plane is cool to. i think it is also supposed to be used for when it is chasing the car in the tunnel, breaking it's wings off to fit inside. overall, an awesome set and much better than i thought. hopefully i can find it on sale.

thanks for the review!

considering the amount of sophisticated navigational controls and weapon systems.

Sorry for beeing a bit rude and cynic; I would not use the word "sophisticated" about the controls in a fighter from the Second World War.

The controls often consisted of a primitive joystick with a single trigger button.

Edited by Lanker

Thanks guys for all of your kind words!

A little bit late, to drop my reply back. :blush:

So who is correct? Is it going to $50 or is it going to $80? Anyone? I LOVE planes and am dying to know o_o

We will have to wait TLG to update the official pricing in Shop@Home. :look:

I've just finished building a minifig scale Sopwith Camel { got no idea where to post it} and now building a minifig scale Bristol Fighter. The bi-plane appeals to me because of the planes I am building, and also i'm not a fan of Nazis.

You can post it in here, if the overall moc is related to Indiana Jones, otherwise you can post in Other Themes forum. Look forward to the Camel and Plane design.

Fantastic review Whitefang, though I believe that the set was not worth your excellent reviewing skills. While I love the design of the planes, the minifigs are poor and the price is terrible. I'll still get it, but most certainly on discount. My father will love the Tiger Moth though, he's flew one once or twice, and this scene is one of our favourite when watching the movies.

Thanks Batbrick! I did enjoy myself doing this review, especially the playing mechanism section. It's really very fun to play with, taking those clicking and swooshing factor. I do hope this set is available at a much lower price later on. I will need a spare fighter plane to match it together. :sweet:

Sorry for beeing a bit rude and cynic; I would not use the word "sophisticated" about the controls in a fighter from the Second World War.

The controls often consisted of a primitive joystick with a single trigger button.

No worries. Thanks for pointing it out. Just a thought, since during that period, aircrafts are considered to be a complex machine, compared to land type vehicles.

Great reveiw, this is one of the best indy sets I have ever brought and I dont regret spending the high price for it. Also if you want the price for GBP (Great British Pound) then its £45.00.

Thanks for letting me know the prices. I have extracted prices from Brickset and update in the first post. :classic:

In a lot of early-war aircraft, yes. But many others you had to deal with various knobs to adjust the gunsights and fuel-flow and trim and... a lot of the space-combat scenes in Star Wars were basically "WWII in Space".

Trust me, if you ever get the chance to sit in the cockpit of an F4U Corsair or even a B-17 or B-29, it's a real shocker at first how many different controls there are that you have to remember what they all do. Heck, just a Norden Bombsight alone without a plane attached would've been stupefying for a WWI pilot...

Great review! I still want this set, sad I'm too late to pick it up :cry_sad:

You know, my local TRU still had this set as recently as a month or so ago, though they finally sold out. You might check TRUs around you. It's even one of the few sets they didn't / don't mark up substantially above list price (at least from what I've seen).